Author Topic: Which Locker In This 5 Lug 66 Ford Dana 60?  (Read 1876 times)

chris401

Which Locker In This 5 Lug 66 Ford Dana 60?
« on: May 07, 2019, 07:54:07 AM »
Supposed to a Camper Special chassis. The vin on the frame is F10YK806186. Unless there is something I do not know this does not tell the build details without the original records. It is a 3.54 ratio and has resistance turning one raised wheel.
Thanks

chris401

Re: Which Locker In This 5 Lug 66 Ford Dana 60?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 07:57:39 AM »
Supposed to a Camper Special chassis. The vin on the frame is F10YK806186. Unless there is something I do not know this does not tell the build details without the original records. It is a 3.54 ratio and has resistance turning one raised wheel.
Thanks
Pictures wouldn't load last night or this morning. Page becomes unavailable when I Post or Preview.

chris401

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 08:05:01 AM »
New pictures worked. The Dana 61 photos I found on line show reinforcement ribs that this does not have.

JamesonRacing

• 1966 - What a great year for FOMOCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 02:05:17 PM »
I think the Dana 60s have a conventional clutch-type limited slip.  My 66 F250 C/S has a D60 (Originally 4.10) limited slip, but with full floating axles and 8-lugs.
1966 Fairlane GT, Silver Blue/Black 496/C4 (9.93@133)
1966 Fairlane GT, Nightmist Blue/Black 465/TKO (11.41@122)
1966 Fairlane GTA Conv, Antique Bronze/Black, 418EFI/C6
1966 F250 C/S, Rangoon Red, 445/T19
1965 Falcon Futura 4-door, Turquoise, EF! Z2363/4R70W

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 03:09:38 PM »
My memory is lacking these days but I thought that Dana 60's did not have a gear set with that low numerically. I thought that was the Dana 61...maybe I am off and it was 3.40 or 3.20. I had one back in the day that I stole the outter parts from.  I also know they did make a light duty Dana 60-Non Floating.  That seems to be what you have pictured. This had C-Clips or something to retain the axle in the diff if I remember correctly and had the 5 lugs(no outter hub/spindle). 
Sorry if all that is of no real help.
Maybe search for a light duty Dana 60....I remember maybe NDP, LMC, Chiltons, or RangerStation having some diagrams on it. It has been 10 plus years since I have looked at that info....
Thinking it was in heavy duty 1/2 ton packages....was the truck a 1/2 ton or 3/4?
Ford could have made a light duty Dana 61 as well.....They did some odd stuff at times.

On the locker, I would pop the cover.  An open rear end will spin with one planted and the other in the air.  You could be feeling brake drag.  Ford had a Trac Loc locker and later some used clutches like in a newer Super Duty.  The Trac Loc is far better.  Technically with a locker when one wheel grabs air it should not move except when, and with, the other wheel.  A good limited slip normally will act the same way.  If it has to due with money in or out, pop it and verify.

chris401

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 08:02:11 PM »
My memory is lacking these days but I thought that Dana 60's did not have a gear set with that low numerically. I thought that was the Dana 61...maybe I am off and it was 3.40 or 3.20. I had one back in the day that I stole the outter parts from.  I also know they did make a light duty Dana 60-Non Floating.  That seems to be what you have pictured. This had C-Clips or something to retain the axle in the diff if I remember correctly and had the 5 lugs(no outter hub/spindle). 
Sorry if all that is of no real help.
Maybe search for a light duty Dana 60....I remember maybe NDP, LMC, Chiltons, or RangerStation having some diagrams on it. It has been 10 plus years since I have looked at that info....
Thinking it was in heavy duty 1/2 ton packages....was the truck a 1/2 ton or 3/4?
Ford could have made a light duty Dana 61 as well.....They did some odd stuff at times.

On the locker, I would pop the cover.  An open rear end will spin with one planted and the other in the air.  You could be feeling brake drag.  Ford had a Trac Loc locker and later some used clutches like in a newer Super Duty.  The Trac Loc is far better.  Technically with a locker when one wheel grabs air it should not move except when, and with, the other wheel.  A good limited slip normally will act the same way.  If it has to due with money in or out, pop it and verify.
Locker was the wrong terminology, it is a limited slip. About the same as my 94 F-250 10.25 felt. It is defiantly clutch tension, I just figured it was worn or been sitting too long. Not going to drain the fluid just yet until I'm sure what it will be used for. Thinking of shortening this frame to replace the cracked one under my 65 F-100 short bed.

chris401

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 08:16:42 PM »
I remember a newer Dana under a 1990 or so E-150 had the C clips. Some post I found on FTE and The Hamb mentioned these years having bearing retainer with no clips like a 9" and another said C clips. The BOM pictured didn't match anything I found on line.

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 10:44:17 AM »
The LD Dana 60 I am referring to was older.  I also want to say they only used it for 2-3 years.  The reason it was mentioned in the correspondence I had was since it was an oddity and folks had a hard time finding parts/info.  Likely all the case internals are the same-Even the Dana 61 has the same internals for the most part with a thicker ring gear( early 80's back).  Most of my info deals with 73-79 Trucks or 69-72 ...mostly F250 4x4 stuff.  All due to building one and fighting issue after issue.  Ford did a lot of co-mingling and odd stuff on the truck side of things during the 70's specifically with drive lines and brakes.
If I can find time, and find the info I will try to post it just for information sake.

You might read on this, wire brush can bring out the data on the tube

https://www.therangerstation.com/how-to/axles/how-to-identify-a-dana-spicer-axle/

Or looks like maybe this is saying same parts, different variants:

http://www.fordification.com/tech/images/schematics/Dana44-70_semi-floating.jpg

Some of my links are old, not working-print stuff is at home.

If it is factory I am sure it is a Power Lok- I thought they called it Trac Lok.  It is costly to rebuild since parts are hard to find but they are a good unit that can be made to work very well.  Cost on rebuild led me to a lunch box locker....a housing I picked up had the locker in it but it was rusted....cheaper to get a new locker at that time.

Anyway, good luck and maybe some of that helps.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 10:55:10 AM by HarleyJack17 »

chris401

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 07:01:29 PM »
Thanks for the link. Sense my numbers didn't cross, the Bill Of Materials must be elsewhere on the left tube or nose. Plan on swapping the guts into my 3/4 ton.

Your link shows this axle to be a non clip type.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 07:03:48 PM by chris401 »

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 06:21:20 AM »
The 1/2 ton 5 lug Dana 60s used clutch type 29 or 30 spline axles, (can't remember) so the posi may not work with a 3/4 ton.  Best bet would be to pull an axle out of each and count splines.  If the splines are the same, the Powerlock will work in the 3/4 ton.  However, realize that Danas, unlike 9 inch, have ratio specific carriers too, so you may be limited to a group of ratios.

I think they stopped using them in 1/2 tons in 1969, but before that if you bought a Heavy Duty or Camper Special with limited slip, often you'd get one.  Those are really strong rear axles for a 1/2 ton though, heavy, but big bearings, strong axles, etc.  We had one in a 360 4x4 shortbox that my father bought new. 3.54 is the most common, if not only, gear set for those, but the downside is gear changes are not as cheap or easy as a 9 inch, which is why I sold mine off
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 09:09:55 AM »
Chris, I think you are right on the clip deal...those were newer I am confusing them.

To add to what Ross said on the locker....if you run into spline issues like he stated, you may be able to use the two axle side spider gears from another carrier with the correct spline count.  I am pretty certain they would have to be for a locking set up though as a "caution".  In 2012 when I tore down the one locker and I want to remember the side spider gears being specialized a little from a standard set.  I think they were machined on the back side with a little more "shoulder" on spline engagement too.
I suspect, dimensionally the ones for the factory locker could all be the same with the only difference being spline count....check and study before scrapping the idea or buying parts.  I will reiterate that I specifically remember that if it needed a rebuild it would be cheaper to buy a lunch box locker that works better.  That is why I have one.  All assuming one is available for the carrier you will be using.

I had forgot about the carrier ratio sizes...could catch Ross. I think he could look for a gear set and that would answer the question on the break over point.  I am thinking the same spiders work with both....I have been wrong before so beware.   
You can google Dana and Ford Trac Lok or Power Lok and find some articles and info.  I have a print on it at home somewhere.

If this was circa 2011/2012 I could tell you anything you need to know on this subject....unfortunately I am one of those guys that if I don't use it I lose it and I completed that part of my build 7 years ago...It all got replaced with Engine and Transmission building and now that is going to go bye bye, I am afraid, with body work  :o ;D

chris401

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 09:58:29 PM »
The break is 4.30 or 4.56. A 4.10 60 can go down to 3.31. Both housings have a casting number of C30255 and appear identical. Good point on parts availability, I have not checked for 16 spline LS spider gears because I do not know for sure what unit is in the 1/2 ton. If those numbers in the first post did not cross then the BOM must be located else where on the axle housing. I will scratch off some good numbers off of it tomorrow or Saturday.

Thanks