Author Topic: Has anyone tried the Speedway EFI Stack Injection or Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 System  (Read 2486 times)

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
Has anyone tried either of these systems? How do you think either would work on a 410 using one of the latest heads from Barry, BBM or TFS?
With pretty mild Hydraulic Roller cam & around 9.5 Comp

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-35960

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sdm-1-148-010/overview/

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
Customer supplied Speedmaster kit.  Managed to get it to work OK.  Required a ton of reworking and really, really rough castings with lots of visible weld repair work they tried to hind behind an intake
 polished by a drunk monkey on a a weekend bender with a blindfold and his hands tied behind his back.  We ended up remachining and leveling out many surfaces - - then having it shot blasted and painted with cast blast paint.  Used a F.A.S.T. controller and injectors.  Had to modify a TPS to work since no normal one would bolt on.  Typical Speedmaster/Pro-Comp type of knock off part.  Not a real do-it-yourself sort of deal....

https://youtu.be/DiCKsFpDtfM

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Speedmaster = Procomp.  That should tell you something.  Almost every part that I've personally witnessed from them has failed or been a failure in some way or another.   

I have not personally used the Edelbrock setup, but I have shipped them to customers and they appear to be typical Edelbrock quality.  The intake is a Victor, but you have to remember that they are MPFI, so it doesn't behave as a typical single plane intake with a carburetor.  The intakes are meant to be ported, so the runners/ports/plenum will be a little on the rough side and will be undersized. 

I recently sent a Pro Flo to Ross Bullock.  He can give further information on it. 

Any of the heads that you mentioned will be very excellent performers.  I've used several sets of the Trick Flow heads and have been very pleased with them so far, except for the fact that you have to manipulate the rocker stand height.   
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
Customer supplied Speedmaster kit.  Managed to get it to work OK.  Required a ton of reworking and really, really rough castings with lots of visible weld repair work they tried to hind behind an intake
 polished by a drunk monkey on a a weekend bender with a blindfold and his hands tied behind his back.  We ended up remachining and leveling out many surfaces - - then having it shot blasted and painted with cast blast paint.  Used a F.A.S.T. controller and injectors.  Had to modify a TPS to work since no normal one would bolt on.  Typical Speedmaster/Pro-Comp type of knock off part.  Not a real do-it-yourself sort of deal....

https://youtu.be/DiCKsFpDtfM

HA! That was well explained, It did not take long to scratch that off list! That is why I asked here as figured someone probably tried it. Fully explains why the Speedmaster is 2200 and the other guys want 8k

My427stang

• View Profile
I wouldn't touch the Speedmaster unless the customer forced me LOL  I have used their throttle body system, and although the program is much more comprehensive than you'd think, if you think support sucked with FITech, you'll go through upload and patch hell with them and in the end will likely just have to do some guessing. 

I have the Edelbrock kit for my F100 right now, Brent was the only one who could get his hands on one for me and as always, treated my right.    Remember though, you get what you pay for with EFI.  My Mustang runs a 5000 dollar setup with an additional 1000 or so in in-tank sump and aftermarket rider chip to allow "real" programming. It runs like a modern car because it is set up like one.  This should be pretty slick, but I don't expect it to be anything like that.  Haven't got it running yet, but it's a pretty good deal for parts alone, some things so far.

-  Injectors are a bit small for anything above 500 HP, the 600+ HP rating assumes you swap to a 42 lb injector
-  Doesn't come with fuel pump or regulator and will require a return system, I think you used one of those sumps before, IMHO, avoid those, set it up right with a nice return system and avoid the chance of a needle and seat failing and a sump/tank underhood
- If you want to run a heater, the EFI and the stock water temp gauge, you need at add a bung, I welded one in, some recent posts here about adding them elsewhere
- The intake needs to be ported, it'll run, but the ports look like they aren't finished at the head side, surface is OK, but they don't match anything in shapeand no two are the same to each other.  I worked mine as much as I could without increasing volume too much
- Brent got me the the kit with the tablet for bluetooth programming, you can order without for about 100 bucks less and use an Android tablet  you have, but I figured for 100 bucks, why not
- Be conservative on the cam, the intake isn't meant for low end, so if you want it to behave nicely, it needs to make vacuum.  FYI, I am running a 230/236 hydraulic flat tappet 112 LSA with a 461 with ported heads, if my heads were better, I'd likely run less in my truck

Other than that, it looks good.  Not sure when I will have it running.  Just finished up the 461 for the truck and on the fence with a decision on selling the 461 after the dyno because the current 390 runs so nice and putting the EFI on it, or just do the EFI and 461 swap all at once in the truck.  (It's easy to be lazy when both toys are running well LOL)

Here is a pic of original mockup, it is pretty, and like I said, the price is pretty good.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 08:21:18 AM by My427stang »
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

My427stang

• View Profile
Spent the day in the shop, painted the 461 and fit the manifold.  Some observations

1 - You can't build a tune or really even access the program on the tablet without the ECM being powered up.  Not a fan of that, because I'd like to be able to try a tune, save the old one, and go back, but unable to build a tune outside of the ECM. 

2 - The Victor needed the standard work, add a coolant bung, but also it lacked any vacuum sources.  It had two on the throttle body, but I didn't really want to have a hose coming off the front a la Chebby or Pontiac.  So I drilled into the passenger side of the plenum and added a 3/8 NPT fitting.  I used an male/male pipe to AN fitting and a 90 degree AN to push loc tube which will feed my power brakes.  The PCV I will run off the rear of the TB, and I will cap the front hose fitting.

3 - I had to bevel the bottom edge of the manifold at the intake face, standard for modern Edelbrocks, not that you HAVE to, but if I want to run the valley tin and leave the head gasket tabs in place, it's much easier to knock the edge off at a 45

4 - The last thing I don't love, but will live with, is the IAT sensor, if fits into the air cleaner, not an issue, but I have to drill my air cleaner for a grommet, and then it sits in the air flow.  Generally I try to get them in a port, but I will likely use this as designed for simplicity.

It's a nice system, wish I could access the program to play, but not until I put power to the ECM and that will be a bit

BTW, played around with valve cover options.  Leaning toward the chrome GT, those aren't mine, they are repops off the 461 CJ build, but I have an original set on the truck now

« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 01:54:34 PM by My427stang »
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
Spent the day in the shop, painted the 461 and fit the manifold.  Some observations

1 - You can't build a tune or really even access the program on the tablet without the ECM being powered up.  Not a fan of that, because I'd like to be able to try a tune, save the old one, and go back, but unable to build a tune outside of the ECM. 

2 - The Victor needed the standard work, add a coolant bung, but also it lacked any vacuum sources.  It had two on the throttle body, but I didn't really want to have a hose coming off the front a la Chebby or Pontiac.  So I drilled into the passenger side of the plenum and added a 3/8 NPT fitting.  I used an male/male pipe to AN fitting and a 90 degree AN to push loc tube which will feed my power brakes.  The PCV I will run off the rear of the TB, and I will cap the front hose fitting.

3 - I had to bevel the bottom edge of the manifold at the intake face, standard for modern Edelbrocks, not that you HAVE to, but if I want to run the valley tin and leave the head gasket tabs in place, it's much easier to knock the edge off at a 45

4 - The last thing I don't love, but will live with, is the IAT sensor, if fits into the air cleaner, not an issue, but I have to drill my air cleaner for a grommet, and then it sits in the air flow.  Generally I try to get them in a port, but I will likely use this as designed for simplicity.

It's a nice system, wish I could access the program to play, but not until I put power to the ECM and that will be a bit

BTW, played around with valve cover options.  Leaning toward the chrome GT, those aren't mine, they are repops off the 461 CJ build, but I have an original set on the truck now

Thanks for the info!  Summit has the Edelbrock Pro-Flow 359600 for 1695.00 and the 35960 for 1795.00. (using coupon)

I had a budget of 10k to build a basic FE with EFI to replace the 482 but it simply cannot be done.

Basic TFS heads and the Edelbrock Pro-Flow around 3800-4000.00

Gear Vendors OD is 3000.00

That leaves 3000 for complete short block and a Transmission/Converter along with everything else needed to get truck back on road.

Simply cannot be done . .