Author Topic: Get on the list for the FE Power Cylinder Head Package  (Read 15391 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Get on the list for the FE Power Cylinder Head Package
« on: April 30, 2019, 07:58:14 PM »
Update February 8, 2021:

If you are interested in the cylinder head package, now is the time.  I will be contacting the people on my list in the next week, and then finalizing the number of the head packages that I will be building and ordering the tooling for the castings.  If you are not on the list but want to get one of the packages, you can email me at jayb@fepower.net, or give me a call at 952-428-9035.  Thanks, Jay

Update January 16, 2021:

Recent test results have proven out the new rocker arm system, and so far results have been pretty good, with over 850 HP from both head types.  Development work on the test engine will continue, to optimize it's results.  I expect to go to production within a month or so.

I am also still collecting names of people who may be interested, but my list is currently full.  However, given the current situation with so many people out of work, some folks on the list may have to cancel, so some spots may open up.  If that happens I will put interested parties on the list as the spots become available.  You can contact me via email at jayb@fepower.net, or give me a call at 952-428-9035.  There is no deposit required to get on the list, but one will be required at the time production starts, which I'm now expecting in February. Details on  package requirements, preliminary pricing and availability, and the deposit are given below.

***************************************************************************************

Package Requirements:

These cylinder heads are a significant departure from the standard FE head architecture, which is the primary reason why they perform so well (see the flow data below).  The valves are moved in the combustion chamber from the stock location, the valve angle is changed, and the intake port is raised about 1-3/8" over the stock medium riser port location.  The intake port also goes almost straight in, like a tunnel port or SOHC.  As a result of these changes, no stock FE intake manifolds will fit, no stock FE rocker arms setups will fit, stock size FE valves will not fit, and either different pistons with the valve reliefs moved, or existing pistons with new valve reliefs cut, will be required.  So, I will be offering these heads in a package to address these differences. (Note that standard FE valve covers will fit, and in most cases standard FE distributors will also fit).

Base Package - The base package will include the bare heads (no springs or valves), in either the raised exhaust (RE) or stock exhaust (SE) version, the complete rocker arm assembly, and the intake adapter to match up to the heads.  Pictures of these parts are shown below.

The following three pictures show both versions of the prototype cylinder heads, with valves assembled in some of the positions and a valve job done.  As mentioned in the thread in the technical section, as cast on the intake these heads flow 403 cfm at 0.700" lift and 416 cfm at 0.800" lift, with a port cross sectional area just 4% larger than a stock medium riser port.  Both the RE (Raised Exhaust) and SE (stock exhaust) are shown in the photos below:

The whole package for these heads, including the intake adapter and rocker arm package, is shown in the photo below.  Since this picture was taken I have redesigned the rocker arm system to be similar to the T&D rocker setup used on Blue Thunder heads.  So, the steel caps that hold the rocker shaft down in the photos below have been replaced by a bolt on each end through the rocker shaft, and the rocker arm material has been changed from aluminum to steel.  The intake rocker arm will still have a significant offset, which is required because the intake ports go straight in to the cylinder like a tunnel port or cammer, rather than hooking around towards the center of the engine. 

On the dyno in September 2020 it became clear that the aluminum intake rocker was not going to hold up, so I have redesigned the rockers in 4140 steel, and have had them investment cast as of this date.  Some pictures of the steel rockers are below, showing some as-cast units and also the fully machined units assembled on the engine. The steel rockers have nearly the same moment of inertia as the aluminum rockers did, due to much less material in the steel rockers, plus they have much better fatigue resistance than the aluminum rockers:

The next two pictures show the special intake adapter required for use with these heads, part number 13300:

Using this base package, if desired you can order your own valves, and build a sheet metal intake off the intake adapter.  When using the heads with the raised exhaust, I will also be offering a steel flange as a start to building your own headers.  Finally, the package will include intake gaskets and header gaskets.

Intake Manifolds - In case you don't want to build your own intake, I will be offering intake manifolds to fit the intake adapter from the base package.  (Note that this intake adapter will NOT allow the use of 351C intakes, it is specific to the FE Power head package.)  Four intake manifolds will be available:

- A single four barrel manifold like the one shown below, with either a 4150 or 4500 carb flange. It will also be available with the injector holes machined and fuel rails for EFI applications.

- Also available will be an 8V dual four barrel intake manifold, in the tunnel wedge style, with normal Ford 2X4 carb spacing.  This manifold is shown in the picture below:

- Also offered will be a crossram individual runner EFI manifold, similar to the one pictured on the intake adapter below.  This manifold is designed to fit under the flat hood of a 67-70 Mustang, Fairlane, or Torino. The ram tubes shown on the manifold in the first picture are from Kinsler, and ones shown in the second picture are from Hilborn, and have a small bellmouth so as to fit under the hood.  The K&N air filters shown next to the intake in the second picture also can be used, and will fit under the hood.  Note that the IR manifold shown in the second, third, and fourth pictures was the first prototype; the one shown in the first picture is the current design.

Stainless Steel Valves - I will also make SS valves available, these will be 5/16" stem, 6.375" long valves, hollow stem 2.300"on the intake, solid stem 1.675" on the exhaust, both weighing in the neighborhood of 130 grams. 

Pistons - I will not be offering pistons through FE Power, but I will arrange with CP to make a basic part number available, so that custom pistons that fit the cylinder head chamber are easily obtainable.

Assembled Cylinder Heads - Finally, for anyone who wants complete assembled cylinder heads, I can make a limited number of these sets available, with a good valve job and assembled with springs.  For this option I am limited by my local cylinder head guy, so getting this done may add to the delivery time.

Preliminary Pricing and Availability:

At this time I expect to start production early in 2021.  As I'm sure you can see this project is a major undertaking, and unfortunately I can't fund the whole project out of my own pocket.  So, at the time that I start production, I will require a deposit on the base package of $2500.  I'm well aware of the issues that the FE community has experienced with deposits, such as providing a deposit and then never receiving the parts; I've been a victim of this myself.  In order to reassure potential customers, when I receive your deposit I will send you a signed document that states I have received your deposit and will make the parts available to you within one year, or your deposit will be refunded.

The first production run will be 30 sets of heads, with the associated intake manifolds.  I'm taking five of these sets for my own cars  ;D  Please note that if there is not enough interest to generate deposits for 30 sets, FE Power will not go to production with this head package.  Also, please note that there is no commitment for a follow-on production run; I'm hopeful that I can make these cylinder head setups a running production item, but if there is too much cost or trouble building them, I may not do them again. 

Preliminary pricing is given below:

Base Package - At present I'm estimating this whole package price to be $5850.  This is about the same price as a good set of FE heads, a T&D race rocker setup, and a good intake manifold.  (I'm trying to keep these prices as competitive with existing products as possible, despite the lower production volumes).

Exhaust Flange for Raised Exhaust Port Heads - $125/pair

4V Intake Manifold - $750, additional $250 for fuel rails and injector machining

8V Intake Manifold - $1150, additional $250 for fuel rails and injector machining

Crossram Intake Manifold - $1950, includes fuel rails

Stainless Steel Valves - $550/set of 16

Again, feel free to message me on the forum, email me at jayb@fepower.net, or call at 952-428-9035 if you have questions, or would like to get on the list for a set of these cylinder heads.  Also, I'd just like to say that I appreciate the support from the forum on this project, and I hope that whoever ends up with these heads makes good use of them on the street, and at the track, by spanking the local brand X riff raff  ;D   Thanks, Jay
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 11:37:38 AM by jayb »
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

JamesonRacing

• 1966 - What a great year for FOMOCO
    • View Profile
Re: Get on the list for the FE Power Cylinder Head Package
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 08:34:16 PM »
Incredible stuff Jay.  You've created FE engine possibilities that I never imagined would ever be realized.  Well done.
1966 Fairlane GT, Silver Blue/Black 496/C4 (9.93@133)
1966 Fairlane GT, Nightmist Blue/Black 465/TKO (11.41@122)
1966 Fairlane GTA Conv, Antique Bronze/Black, 418EFI/C6
1966 F250 C/S, Rangoon Red, 445/T19
1965 Falcon Futura 4-door, Turquoise, EF! Z2363/4R70W

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 06:48:17 PM »
Although I can't afford to order a set unless I win the lotto I can't wait to see how these preform on the racetrack.
Greg

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 09:26:47 PM »
PM sent.
Couple questions though.
1. What's the minimum bore that can be used with these heads ? I'm sure you have mentioned it somewhere but I'm wondering how close to a standard bore 427 can I run my block and not shroud the valves to bad or hinder the heads performance?
2. Once you do your dyno testing and have everything the way you want will you be able to share the piston info so maybe if one wanted to start working on the short block while heads are being made they possibly could get a jump on balancing  and ect... ?
Thanks.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 10:26:41 PM »
Keith, I will have at least two options for the chamber size, one which is optimized for a 4.25" bore, and the other for a smaller 4.08" bore (30 over 390), designed for use with a 2.19" valve.  The 4.25" chamber could easily be used on a stock 427 bore (4.233"), and I don't think you'd have any reduction in flow.

For the pistons I will certainly be releasing the information you need to order them prior to starting production, because I have to get that dialed in for my dyno engine before I can run the heads myself.  I have a working relationship with CP, so the pistons will certainly be available from them, but I may try to get set up with Diamond also.

UPDATE:  Two different chamber sizes will not be offered after all, it turns out that the standard chamber size will work with any bore from 4.05" on up.  To make the valves work in the smaller bore sizes, it is not necessary to cut down the intake valve from 2.300", but the exhaust valve will need to be cut down to 1.600" for a stock 4.05" 390 bore.  This does not result in a significant decrease in exhaust flow, but the smaller bore size does shroud the intake, so intake flow decreases substantially with the smaller bores.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 08:21:43 AM by jayb »
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Joey120373

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 01:27:59 PM »
PM sent, not sure if I’m first on the list or not but would love to get a Xxx-001 serial number.  ;D
- I know......001-005 are spoken for.

667Litre

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 09:24:34 AM »
I’m excited to see the dyno results.  Are you planning to dyno it on a few different performance level engines?  It’d be nice to see the results on an average 445 stroker type build since there are so many out there,(mine included, looking for new heads

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2019, 10:05:09 AM »
Those heads might be harmful to the average 390 block

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2019, 02:10:08 PM »
The heads will work on a 30 over 390 block, but a smaller intake valve will be needed.  My first dyno mule will be a 504" high HP engine, hoping to get 850 to 900 HP from the heads right out of the box.  I will also be comparing them to a set of CNC ported Blue Thunders and some ported Edelbrocks.  I have a 445" 390 stroker engine that I could refit with pistons to work with the heads, but that is probably farther out.  Also, for anyone paying attention, as usual I am behind on this project; the 3D sand printing guys are gone for about a month on vacation and business trips, and on a personal note my 85 year old Dad has been sick and I've just returned from a week out of town to help take care of him.  Right now I'm hoping to get the casting done by the end of July and run the first engine on the dyno late August or early September.  Wish it was happening sooner but sometimes there's not much you can do to speed things along...
Jay Brown

Ghoughton

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2019, 07:50:50 PM »
Your heads will definitely be worth the wait. And sorry to hear about your dad.
Some things are more important than engine parts.

feadam

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2019, 06:55:33 AM »
any update on progress Jay ?

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2019, 08:30:03 AM »
I should have a big update by the end of this month - Jay
Jay Brown

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2020, 06:55:54 PM »
See the update in the original post - Jay
Jay Brown

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2020, 08:36:35 PM »
Probably the single most impressive advancement in FE performance since Ford quit making Tunnel Ports and Cammers. I can't wait to see someone get their hands on a set and massage them for maximum performance. It'd make the 1000 hp mark an easy target....naturally aspirated! And a sheetmetal intake, along with a BBM block, would make for a very impressive and stout race engine. Congratulations on carrying through with such a massive undertaking! Very impressive...

Just one question. Are the rockers heat treated, or a special grade of aluminum? I don't know how aluminum rockers are treated to withstand massive pressures, so just asking out of curiosity.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2020, 09:13:18 AM »
The rockers are 7075 aluminum, which is the strongest type of aluminum stock that I can get.  The heat treat is referred to as T651.  It is a little stronger than 2024 aluminum alloy, which is what T&D uses in their rocker arms.  More information on the material is here:

https://www.midweststeelsupply.com/store/7075aluminumplate
Jay Brown

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2021, 11:35:08 AM »
If you are interested in the cylinder head package, now is the time.  I will be contacting the people on my list in the next week, and then finalizing the number of the head packages that I will be building and ordering the tooling for the castings.  If you are not on the list but want to get one of the packages, you can leave a message on this thread, email me at jayb@fepower.net, or give me a call at 952-428-9035.  Thanks, Jay
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 04:03:25 PM by jayb »
Jay Brown

475fetoploader

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2021, 12:21:14 PM »
If I say I’m extremely impressed, it is painfully understating how I feel about the above accomplishment.
1967  Fairlane Tunnel Wedge on Proports.
1975 4x4 461 f.e. 4speed Dual Quads on 38’s
Love many, Trust few. Always paddle your own canoe.

Morten

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2022, 08:41:19 AM »
Hi,
Any updates on these heads?

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2022, 08:54:38 AM »
The only update is how maddenningly slowly the head castings are coming from the foundry.  I'm supposed to be picking up 2 head castings from the foundry tomorrow.  Only 2!  My original order from April 2021 was for 60 castings.  I've only received a handful so far.  It has been extremely frustrating...
Jay Brown

62_BattleBird

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2022, 02:10:54 PM »
Hello Jay, is it too late to get on this list? I'm not in any hurry for delivery, so the production delay isn't a problem.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2022, 08:09:13 AM »
It is not too late, I'm currently collecting names for the second production batch.  I will start production on that after I have completed delivery to the customers who are on my first list.  Unfortunately that is taking longer than I ever expected, due to delays at the foundry, but I fully intend to go forward with more of the head packages when the castings start to get supplied more regularly.  Send me an email with your contact info and I will put you on the list - Jay
Jay Brown

62_BattleBird

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2022, 12:55:40 PM »
It is not too late, I'm currently collecting names for the second production batch.  I will start production on that after I have completed delivery to the customers who are on my first list.  Unfortunately that is taking longer than I ever expected, due to delays at the foundry, but I fully intend to go forward with more of the head packages when the castings start to get supplied more regularly.  Send me an email with your contact info and I will put you on the list - Jay

Perfect, will do! Thanks.

Leonard