Author Topic: Gotta check out this FE powered hauler...or, whatever it is!  (Read 4015 times)

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
Re: Gotta check out this FE powered hauler...or, whatever it is!
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2019, 08:46:14 AM »
That's been for sale before.  Unique.  The interior is real 70's shag wagon.
I forget if it's diesel or gas powered.  Be real thirsty if a gasser!

First thing I thought was what an awesome race car hauler it would make. Of course you'd have to gut that interior to do it, but it's certainly not  usable as an RV, unless you had stupid amounts of money and used it as a race event tailgater. Still, those COE's ride like bricks, being you're sitting right on top of the front axle. It sure looks cool though, and is a cool conversation piece!

LOL - same thinking.  Dragster below, living quarters above.  The interior needs a period giant HiFi+TV.  As for the ride, can't be any worse than the F-350 with 12K on the tail and 50 lbs in the rear air bags. 

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2019, 09:40:46 AM »
But it's the riding in front of the axle that will kill you, especially with that real short wheelbase(remember riding in the back of the school bus growing up?).  The riding position in a pickup is different, along with lighter suspension.  That thing will beat you to death. 

My B model Mack is bad enough with 12K lb front axle and only 5K LB on it.  It don't move very much!
Larry

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2019, 10:05:40 AM »
My '70 F350 dually rides surprisingly smooth, with or without pulling 9k lbs behind it (or the 700lbs of fuel I had in the bed this time..lol). It rides MUCH smoother than any of the newer F250 or 350's we have at work, loaded or unloaded, including a 3500 Chevy and Dodge that we have, all single wheel axles. By comparison, my '68 Highboy rode extremely rough until you got about 2000 lbs in the bed. Of all the full size trucks I've owned and driven, about 7 over the years (NONE newer than my current '70), the '70 dually is the smoothest...go figure.

The bad points of my F350 are the short wheelbase, which has a tendency to do the bouncy see-saw on certain roads, at certain speeds. Usually speeding up or down by 5 mph makes it go away though. And potholes. Man, those suckers send a jolt through the whole truck!

The old Econoline's suck in the ride department also. Sitting above or in front/behind of an axle is NOT a good combo. Not to mention feeling like you're going to slam into something face first if something pulls out in front of you :o
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2019, 12:12:32 PM »
you're always the first one at the accident.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner