Author Topic: Another Cam Bearing Thread  (Read 1104 times)

Nightmist66

• View Profile
Another Cam Bearing Thread
« on: April 20, 2019, 11:26:05 AM »
I thought I would start another thread showing some differences between a couple different cam bearings. I already had some 1445's and some FP-33's, but I picked up the ACL's to compare as well. I am not to surprised on the quality of the ACL's after seeing where they were made.  I don't have the King or Clevite's, but I suspect they are very similar to the 1445's. I'll let you decide:

First, the ACL. Note: NO oil groove to thrust/ cam sprocket.

The DuraBond:

The Sealed Power/FM:

The 1445 has a slighty wider/deeper oil groove to the thrust. The DuraBond has the nicest finish. The ACL I don't know what to say other than they will be getting shelved. The worst finish I have seen and every bearing has burrs around the oil holes that need to be addressed first. There are also some "chatter" marks on the ACL's from tooling that you can visually see, but not actually feel. I will be going with the FP-33.
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
Re: Another Cam Bearing Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 12:59:47 PM »
The prettier finish on the Durabond performance bearing is the result of them running a roller or something around the ID.  Other than that the tooling and metallurgy is the same.  Probably want to have a regular F-33 to show the visual difference.  You can see virtually identical cutter patterns in the Durabond and Sealed power parts - pretty positive that those are the same source as they were many years ago.  The ACL really does look like crap - never saw one in person & I guess I don't need to in the future.