Author Topic: Barry R do you have any head drawings?  (Read 4065 times)

GJCAT427

• View Profile
Barry R do you have any head drawings?
« on: November 13, 2012, 06:34:17 AM »
I`m looking for the demension of the head to tell if they are milled. The thumbprint is not reliable.  I measured the distance from the headbolt  to the deck on several sets as a guide but there all around.020 difference ave. A drawing would be a baseline to tell if they have been messed with.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: Barry R do you have any head drawings?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 08:22:00 AM »
Check out this thread:

http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=668.0

I ended up looking at the distance from the top of the head bolt holes to the deck to get an idea of whether the decks have been cut or not.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

GJCAT427

• View Profile
Thanks Jay
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 04:50:58 PM »
That is where I measured and I seem to get the same demension 3.420+/-. The med riser heads I have don`t appear to have been cut , but the thumbprints on one heads don`t match what I would call normal. All the other heads I have are uncut but I just wanted to be sure on the medrisers as I dont know there history.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 07:41:27 PM »
Dave Shoe has some drawings, as does John V.  I don't think I can re-send their info without permission.
I know that I would not rely on the bolt to deck dimension too much - we found similar fastener spotface locations must have been considered to be pretty non-critical and were very inconsistant on main caps when installing one of those girdle thingies.

These days I would check chamber volumes and sonic test the deck to get a feel for what you have.  Those are the measurements that truly matter.  I can understand the perceived value of "virgin" parts, but saying a head has never been decked is like saying a car has never seen rain.  Ford decked every head during manufacture and did not consider it a religious excersize, and I wager that darn near every car got wet at least once sitting in the parking lot in Dearborn or on the transport truck or train.  :)

GJCAT427

• View Profile
Barry, did you use the original drawings for,
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 06:48:57 AM »
reference for demensions  or start with a clean sheet ?

Chad D

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 01:43:16 PM »
I`m looking for the demension of the head to tell if they are milled. The thumbprint is not reliable.  I measured the distance from the headbolt  to the deck on several sets as a guide but there all around.020 difference ave. A drawing would be a baseline to tell if they have been messed with.

My understanding has always been:  If the deck has been milled at a smaller shop, you should see circular or no mill marks.  If it's factory untouched, straight broach lines will be present.