Author Topic: Top Loader Main Shaft Question!  (Read 1671 times)

427HR

• View Profile
Top Loader Main Shaft Question!
« on: April 06, 2019, 04:36:04 PM »
Purchased a new mainshaft for my top loader (after 2nd gear welded to the mainshaft bc of a lack of clearance).

But this new shaft (from AMP Distributing) doesn't have the oil grooves on the gear journals like most mainshafts do (see picture... new shaft on the top).

Is this a problem?

machoneman

• View Profile
Re: Top Loader Main Shaft Question!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 04:57:29 PM »
Send it back. David Kee's Toploader site, Mac's and a few other tranny parts sellers all show the radial oil grooves on both SBF and BBF shafts.
Bob Maag

chris_r

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 09:28:10 PM »
Yes send it back

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 07:35:14 PM »
 Nothing really wrong with that shaft, a lot of transmissions use that circumferential groove ( Tremec TKO for one). However  David Kee stayed with the radial grooves like Ford engineering , and he feels it provides a bit better oiling .

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 07:55:49 AM »
I would bet it works fine overall, but the big difference between a TKO and toploader is the TKO runs on ATF(needle bearings on everything) and the toploader runs on gear lube.  The radial groove likely helps put more lube under the gears where its needed.

Don't feel bad about welding a 2nd gear.  I did that many years back myself.  Never leaked, never knew it was low.  One day, running down the highway it suddenly started squealing and it locked up.  I had to drive down the highway in 2nd gear.  Little rough with 4.10 gears in my old pickup.
Larry