Author Topic: BT 2x4 intake  (Read 1587 times)

Stangman

• View Profile
BT 2x4 intake
« on: March 14, 2019, 11:34:13 AM »
Ok so I got my intake on today after a few fittings. At first it was hitting underneath near #3 cylinder so I had to grind it down some and as I ground it down it starte to hit other cylinders so I kept going until nothing was hitting. All this is even after I bent down the head gasket tabs..So now I think I’m all good I checked with a borascope for cylinder port matching which was good, so I set up my new gaskets and get everything nice were I want it and torque everything down and put my pushrods in on passenger side and start to evenly tighten down and while watching for the pushrods to seat in the cups I noticed that the stands weren’t sitting flat. Took a look and really couldn’t believe it but the port was sitting a good 3/16 to 1/4 inch high. At that point I was gonna make a call to we’re I got it but I already made some modifications to it so I scribed a line and took it apart. One intake gasket down the drain, good thing I got two. Well grinded it down a little extra to be safe and put it all together this morning. So intake is on pushrods in and rockers are on and all is good. But should I have needed to do any of this. I mean I was surprised. Oh the drivers side of the motor really didn’t need any grinding I took a smidge off but nothing to speak of, did anybody else have Any of these problems or am I just lucky.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 03:05:12 PM by Stangman »

Posi67

• View Profile
Re: BT 2x4 intake
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 12:20:39 PM »
That sounds similar to the problems I had with a RPM Intake but my BT fits fine on the same engine. My heads have been cut .030 as well as the block being decked which one would think may cause an issue. I use the 1247-S printo seal intake gasket which is a bit thicker than the std. one although don't know how it compares to other brands so that may or may not be of relevance.

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 04:25:08 PM »
If you looked from the side and you followed the valve cover rail, on pass side the port is higher than the rail and the drivers side was even maybe a smidge under. I hope I dont have any weird problems like water port problems. Now Im alittle nervous. What really sucks is Ive been waiting to get one of these manifolds for 2 years. Well I just need a tenth and a half and I will be in the 10s, I should get a tenth or 2. 

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 10:41:05 PM »
If you measure the height of the intake port face on the heads and intake is it the same on each side? Is the one head shorter or is it the manifold?

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 09:06:41 PM »
To late now Tom it’s on but if I remember correctly they look like they are in the right spot. I did look with boroscope and ports line up when together. The part of the manifold that was higher was the part that the stands sit on. They sit on heads of course but hang a little bit over intake, but like I said that was about 3/16 above the head. On the other side it was fine although I did give it a cleanup. Seemed to my like a defect. I should have taken pictures.