Author Topic: Another FE roller lifter question...........  (Read 2418 times)

Tommy A

• View Profile
Another FE roller lifter question...........
« on: February 09, 2019, 09:40:52 PM »
Can a hyd. roller lifter safely be run a solid roller stick??? Lift is about 700/680   Has any builders safely did this??  Brent, Blair, Jay anybody,   Now let me duck out of the way before the trash flyes...........Tom

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
Re: Another FE roller lifter question...........
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 12:00:35 AM »
The correct answer is.........IT DEPENDS.  Some solid roller profiles can run with a hydraulic roller lifter. If the "take up" ramp is friendly enough, and you have enough valve spring to follow the lobe through the whole event.  Speaking real generally, it would probably require a short travel lifter unless the solid profile was really mild. 

If the solid profile is aggressive, I would not try it.  The probability of success is much more likely when using a solid roller on a hydraulic profile.  I use a few lobes that I have run with both ways.  Zero lash hydraulic roller, or tight lash solid, with a touch more spring.

I think it doesn't make much sense to try to nurse a hydraulic roller past 6500, unless some class rule requires it........a person might as well go solid with a tight lash if you want to operate it at the high rpm.  My opinion is that somewhere around 250-ish at .050, you approach a world where solid rollers are better suited for the task.  Below that, the hydraulic rollers are low maintenance, lighter spring requirement, and are generally happy to around 6500 with proper planning.

From bone stock durations, up through at least the 240s, a hydraulic roller is a wonderful, reliable way to roll. JMO.......
Blair Patrick

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 06:12:06 AM »
A lot of variables there, Tommy.   What parts do you have to work with? 

The lift isn't the bad part, it's the aggressiveness of the lobe, duration, etc.   Post up the advertised and .050" durations and maybe we can give you an idea of what will work. 

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Tommy A

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 11:04:15 AM »
Brent the .050 is 265/272  its an Oregon that Ken use's if the customer is looking for 600 or more horse, he did say it was fairly quick on the ramps, 110 lobe center 106int/cl......... And thanks to all who responded..................Tom

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 01:12:54 PM »
Chances are it's going to be too wild.   Still a lot of variables that need to be filled, but I wouldn't really count on it working. 

Why are you wanting to swap lifters?  Just to get away from the risk of running a solid roller lifter?
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Tommy A

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 09:39:23 PM »
Yes Brent wanted to go hyd lifters for less maint.  , Oh well put the solids back in  thanks,..............Tom

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 09:34:32 AM »
If you are using quality parts, there should be little or no maintenance.  I run a decent solid roller in my dragster and "maintenance" is backing off the rockers for winter storage.  This was the 2nd year on the Howards solid rollers with pressure feed.  I did pull them and check - all look perfect and the rollers work smoothly.  The solid flat that was in the old 351C I ran in the Falcon was in there 3 years and it was set and forget - never touched it.  Solid x type valve train does not equate to extra maintenance IMHO. 

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 12:59:23 PM »
another question while were on the subject.can you use hyd roller lifters in a hyd flat tappet cam.reason im asking is because someone could change to roller lifters without replacing a good hyd cam?
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 12:16:24 AM »
another question while were on the subject.can you use hyd roller lifters in a hyd flat tappet cam.reason im asking is because someone could change to roller lifters without replacing a good hyd cam?

No, you shouldn't run rollers on a flat tappet for a couple reasons. A big one is flat tappet cam lobes are ground with a taper that, combined with the profile of the lifter face, will cause the lifter to spin in the bore. A roller cab lobe should be flat so the entire roller is on the lobe.