Author Topic: 7.3L gasser now official  (Read 11377 times)

Katz427

• View Profile
Re: 7.3L gasser now official
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2019, 08:38:52 AM »
The engineer did say it was longer than the 6.2 , larger bore spacing, for more cooling jacket. I like it, but trucks are out of my range at the prices they are asking.  I agree that OHC for a truck really isn't necessary, though I do like the 6.2 in the shop F250.  The shop has a lot of Hemis for cores as they have a habit of spinning rod bearings, and cam bearings. I have developed an ear for the "Hemi tic" as they call it.

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2019, 09:57:28 AM »
Designed to run 14.7 AFR under load . That’s interesting by itself

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2019, 10:09:41 AM »
First thing I think of is doing a 7.3L swap. Or even wondering if Ford will consider making this as a crate. Not sure if it's rumor or fact, but I saw a video claiming 107mm bore and 101mm stroke. If you convert it, it's very similar to 427 bore with a 428 crank.

If Holley would make this intake for it:
https://www.holley.com/products/intakes/efi_manifolds/parts/300-126

Then you could get a different cam and it'd be a hot rodders delight. We wouldn't have to see so many LS's in fox bodies.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2019, 11:10:21 AM »
Like it, need it for what we pull.  Now I just need $60,000 or so.  Yea, drop that and a 10 speed in the old 1993 F-350 would be cool. 

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2019, 03:51:27 PM »
I just hope they don't go back to blowing spark plugs out of the heads, or heads warping like the Triton family of engines, or 6.0 injectors failing, heads warping, etc..  Maybe they got some smarter engineers....time will tell.  Someone must be paying attention since they are moving back to push rod engines......when your competition starts making you look bad you better change something.  They all have issues but for what they cost, they should not.

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2019, 04:34:49 PM »
Will be very interesting to see how this plays out.  I briefly looked at F250s when I bought my F150, they're really not that bad if you stick with a gas XL model and don't get into the leather interiors and such.  That said, try finding one on a lot, still all diesels so Ford will have to convince the public that the 7.3L is a viable towing alternative.  I'll be looking to trade out trucks in a couple years, I'd love to get into a nice Supercab 4x4 XL with the 7.3L for under $40k, I'm sure it can be done around year end if you find a leftover. 

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2019, 05:20:47 PM »
or 6.0 injectors failing, heads warping, etc..

I've read up a lot on the 6.0s and I'll wager that a large percentage of the issues are caused by sloppy maintenance/neglect and people that think they have to slap a tuner on everything.  Tuner on 6.0 pretty much seems to guarantee head issues because the factory studs were not designed to take any increased cylinder pressure.  Marginal design criteria - I'll go with that as a yes because the universal fix is ARP studs LOL.  The injectors are controlled using oil pressure so the least contamination of the oil by missing change intervals or cheaping out on oil/filters can kill 6.0 injectors.  Further reading shows that just replacing the base injector doesn't replace the oil control portion so the problem returns quick. 

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2019, 06:20:18 AM »

I think they have (finally) admitted that the OHC deal was overplayed for truck applications where high RPM under continuous load was not the right way to go.  The 6.2 was not a solid viable choice for a truck that needed to tow any kind of load with comfort and confidence.  And the 6.7 diesel - although easily capable - comes with a huge cost penalty - like 15% of the truck's overall price.  With gas being way cheaper than diesel these day, the payback on the over the top oil burner has stretched into infinity for fleet owners.  I'd wager the new gasser makes up 60% of SD truck sales volume within a year of its release.
[/quote]

Easy to say when you've got a lift sitting in your garage, and all the equipment required to lift a cab off of a frame. But I guess if you can afford the truck, you can afford a lift. :P

I agree, the OHC deal for an actual work truck is not an ideal solution and I still maintain that modernizing the 385 platform in 97 would have been better money spent than trying to make a truck version of the mod motor which never really worked all that well in the real world. I know a lot of the mod motor push into trucks stemmed from other reasons, like CAFE, et al, but they should have never dropped some type of larger displacement pushrod engine for the heavy duty gas option. With the price of diesel combined with the in-service costs of modern diesels (DOC/DPF and doser issues really add up, especially in fleet situations) and a good larger displacement gas engine is bound to take some market share. A number of my customers have had me go through older rigs the past couple years rather than buying new just for the reliability and maintenance costs.

A lift does make it easier, but to be fair, the first 6.0 head gasket job I did was in the driveway on a weekend with 4x4's and HiLift jacks. I have owned some 6.0 and 6.4 trucks, but they technically belonged to the company when I was still doing dirt work, but most of the 6.0's and 6.4's I've done were just customers trucks.

Personally I disagree that 6.0's were terrible engines and that the heads/bolts were not up to the task. While I'm sure 6 bolts per cylinder would have been a vast improvement, the issue really wasn't the bolts or the heads, it was EGR. Most of the 6.0's reputation was due to the 6.0 (like all of Fords pickup diesels) being the first to market with new technology. The 6.0 was the first diesel in a pickup to use a VGT and EGR on a production "medium" duty engine. The head gasket failures in most cases were due to the EGR system. When the EGR valve sticks, and they all did, that woudl cause the coolant to boil in the EGR cooler which is plumbed in series with the heads and oil cooler. You send a steady diet of 300*f coolant and steam into a head and I don't care how many bolts you have it'll warp eventually. The stock long block with a coolant filter (left over casting sand and fallout from the coolant tends to plug the oil coolers) and an EGR delete is good to 450 wheel HP and will live a LONG time with basic maintenance. Over 450 and you need to start upgrading hard parts. My basic parts list for a work truck 6.0 was EGR delete, coolant filter, new head gaskets with new stock bolts exhaust and tunes from Jody at DP-Tuner with a daily driver/economy file, tow tune and mild "race" file. I've done probably 30 or 40 that way and around 22 of those are still with the same owners and I know of 1 failed head gasket of those.

The 03's did have legit injector failures. So did the early 7.3's for that matter. Some revised parts essentially solved that problem in both cases. The 6.0 injectors are prone to bending the spool valves if you run 15w40 in very cold weather. Most HEUI injector or pump failures are due to lack of maintenance. I will say, given my choice, I like to use early 6.0 rails and branch tubes with the later style pump. The early rails had very few issues unlike the later W rails which tended to leak. The early aluminum body pumps were more prone to failure than the later style iron pumps.

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2019, 11:24:13 AM »
That exhaust port looks like the port on my new cylinder heads...

That is the first thing that crossed my mind too Jay. I was beginning to wonder if you had a hand in in development of the new 7.3!  ;)

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2019, 01:03:45 PM »
Agree also on the 6.0 - EGR.  Seems the delete is the thing to do if you buy one.  Assuming someone hasn't already done it LOL.  Agree on the other comments because I hear it from guys we race with that field and service diesel trucks.  I'd much rather go gas than diesel if at all possible.  On our budget that may end up being a stroker 460, but what the hey if it works!

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2019, 06:28:38 PM »
Please tell me they are not really going to call it "Godzilla".  ::)

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2019, 06:52:32 PM »
Interesting engine, I remember in the late 70s
when the V8s extinction was said to be a few
years away. Thank god they where dead wrong.
Looks like the oilpump is up front wounder if
it fit in a Galaxie with a front sump?
The exhaust manifolds looks like taken from a
-30s racing engine
Just a shame all modern engines are so ugly
with all the outside ribbing and bumps and
crannies that make it a pain to keep it clean

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

FElony

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2019, 08:29:38 PM »
Please tell me they are not really going to call it "Godzilla".  ::)

NEWSFLASH! NEWSFLASH! TOKYO UNDER ATTACK!

We now join CCN news correspondent Lon Demon:
LD: "Hi fellas! Howths my little stud muffins out there tonight? Getting ready to raise some naughty heck necths week for Valentino'th day?"
STATION MANAGER: "Good lord, Lon! The headline!!"
LD: "Oh right. Well anyway, our athociate in Tokay-OH called and thaid thomething about thomething approaching Japan. I just cannot for the life of me understand the Asian bois when they get excthited. I guess we'll just thwitch over there. Take it away, Taki!
Sensei Takahashi: Thank you, Ron. Airport towers see huge device coming to Tokyo Harbor at very fast speed. Experts say, looks like come from Yankee shoreline. Wait! Experts now say... IT'S GODZIRRA! NOT AGAIN! Rast Godzirra ruin Tokyo for years. Oh NO, changing course to Fukushima! Run for your rives!

bzzzzz snap bzzzzz crackle bzzzzz pop bzzzzz

LD: "Well, back in "Yankee" land. I mean, who stills calls us Yankees? Really? Hey, don't forget to buy some choc-lits for your fave rump ranger next week."
STATION MANAGER: "Oh fer cryin out loud. That's it, I quit"

This is CNN. The most trusted name in news.

Couldn't help myself. I'm weak. Apologies to Japan. Japan only. Send hate mail through PM.

FElony

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2019, 11:10:06 AM »
Look how the valve springs have the bottom four coils stacked. Could this design effectively shorten the overall spring for low-lift grunt cams, but allow a swap later for higher lift revver cams?