Author Topic: Question on head gasket  (Read 1617 times)

olman

• View Profile
Question on head gasket
« on: January 31, 2019, 05:02:14 PM »
   Before I put my heads back on I was looking at my Perma-Torque head gaskets for my 67 390 and noticed the hole for the rocker arm oiling was kinda small. Does this need to be enlarged or just leave it alone and use it for a somewhat restrictor for the rockers?
1963 1/2 Galaxie 500Xl 428 4 speed

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: Question on head gasket
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 06:57:59 PM »
It's fine the way that it is.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 10:51:19 PM »
No. It's an internal oil restrictor.   Most of us run the Fel Pro 1020 head gasket as well in a performance application.

-Keith

olman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 02:39:34 PM »
Okay now I should ask if I need to use a restictor in my heads. I have a new Melling hi volume pump and Arp pump drive and just installed .010-.010 crank and new bearings, the rockers and shafts are almost new. A new Milodon 5 qt pan. If so, does anyone make these and sell them for the FE engine? Do I have to tap the oil hole? I saw 1 post that a split roll pin was used. Never thought about this until I saw all the info about how much oil goes to the top end and before I put the heads on would like to know if I should or not. I trust this site for the vast amount of info that can be found here so that's why I am always asking.  Thanks
1963 1/2 Galaxie 500Xl 428 4 speed

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 04:57:50 PM »
I am running a holley #70 jet in both heads. even with the incorporated restriction that is part of the 1020 head gasket. I am running a blue printed HV pump, roller rockers, stands and the HD shaft from Precision oil pumps. I primed the engine with a drill motor and there is a ton of oil on the top, even with the  restrictors.  I run about 80 lb cold and about 35 at idle hot.

-Keith