Author Topic: Oil pump recommendations & oil restrictors  (Read 5946 times)

happystang

• View Profile
Oil pump recommendations & oil restrictors
« on: January 31, 2019, 02:10:50 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm getting ready to order an oil pump for my 428, it's a very mild build with a hydraulic roller cam and Harland Sharps shaft rocker setup. I'll be using a Canton oil pan and windage tray, effectively making the oil capacity 8 quarts including the filter. The oil modifications have already been done on the block where the oil filter adapter bolts on (using the CJ style adapter) and all the oil galleys have been tapped for screw in plugs. I'm also using completely stock Edelbrock Performer RPM heads and intake. The car will see occasional spirited driving, but by no means will be beat on at a track (okay, MAYBE a few times).

With that being said, what oil pump should I use? Standard pressure/standard volume? High pressure standard/standard volume? High pressure/high volume? I currently have my eyes on this oil pump:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/slp-224-43365a/overview/make/ford

Also, should I be running the oil restrictors in the heads even with the Harland Sharps rockers?

http://store.survivalmotorsports.com/oilreforedhe.html

This is unfortunately a rebuild of my 428 as the #4 rod bearing failed, we attributed the failure to some kind of contamination or foreign debris getting sucked into the oil pump. Poor thing only lived for about 200 miles.

67428GT500

• View Profile
Re: Oil pump recommendations & oil restrictors
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 03:41:47 AM »
I would run the HV pump.  It gives a bit more pressure at idle.  What you didn't tell us is if you're using ford iron heads or not. If you are using Ford heads I use a Holley 70 jet. I am running rollers with Precision oil pump's Billet stands and end stands and HD shafts. There is plenty of oil on the top end, even with the restrictions.
                                                                -Keith

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 05:50:14 AM »
I typically go against the grain on street builds and either run a Melling M57 or M57 with a spring in it.  I feel that the HV pump isn’t really necessary in a lot of builds.  I also don’t restrict on street builds. 

I have dyno videos with clear valve covers with the above combination, there is no top end flooding running factory non-adjustable rocker arms.  As a matter of fact, the oil level just gets up to the bottoms of the valve springs on a 6000 rpm dyno pull.  Oil pressure will get to 65-70 psi at WOT, which is more than enough. 

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 06:46:42 AM »
Brent:
How do so many account for low oil pressure, especially at idle? I have always worked the block a bit and made sure my bearing clearances were correct.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 07:05:06 AM »
I see about 25-30 at idle with a standard volume pump. 

The engine that I mentioned having the video of, was a 445.  It had .0025-.0026" on the mains, .0023-.0024 on the rods, .005" crank thrust clearance, .005" cam thrust clearance, and .017" rod side clearances.  Standard volume, standard pressure Melling pump.  Hydraulic roller. 

I personally don't see the need for extremely high oil pressure on most engines, nor do I spend a lot of time on the block work.  The oil pump feed hole gets blended, the holes in the bearing saddles get blended, and that's about it. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

rockhouse66

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 08:05:31 AM »
The M57-B pump is standard volume with a little higher pressure spring and is what I have been using.  Hot oil pressure is never outstanding though.  I suspect worn lifter bores on old blocks as the internal "leak".
Jim

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 08:55:13 AM »
I always use the high volume pump, but not the high pressure pump.  I think the high volume pump provides a safety margin that the standard volume pump may not.  If for example you crack a rocker shaft, you will have an oil leak in the system.  My theory is that the high volume pump will be able to pump enough oil to overcome that leak, but a standard volume pump may not.  No way to test the theory, unfortunately.  Or, in a worse case scenario, you overrev the engine and spin a bearing, or bend a pushrod so that a lifter pops out of the bore, developing an even worse oil leak.  Again I think a high volume pump may save the rest of the engine. 

Also, I always like to restrict oil to the top end, using a 0.070" restrictor hole in the oil passage in each head.  I think this is especially important if you don't use the oil drainback tins under the rocker arms like the factory did, or if you have an intake manifold like a Victor that doesn't drain back well up in the pushrod area.  The rockers don't need a whole bunch of oil, and anything you can do to keep oil in the oil pan is a plus, in my opinion.  You hear a lot of people claiming that you absolutely have to have a larger volume oil pan than stock, that a high volume pump will pump the pan dry, etc.  I've got 40 years of experience with running stock pans and high volume pumps that says those comments are BS, as long as you restrict oil to the rockers and use 6 quarts of oil in the system, plus a windage tray in the pan.  Not to say that a higher volume pan isn't a good thing, because it is, especially on a higher HP engine.  But for most folks, the stock pan, stock windage tray, six quarts of oil and restricting the oil holes in the heads will eliminate any oiling problems.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 09:03:42 AM »
Here's what I saw with clear valve covers....

Obviously, I was chasing another problem altogether that prompted the disassembly, repair, and reassembly of this engine, but the valve covers allowed me to see what happens on a WOT dyno pull.  Standard pump, no restrictors, no drip tins. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfhEuGwkYb8

On that dyno pull, I also have data that shows oil pressure going up throughout the pull, all the way to peak, so there was no issue with pumping oil out of the pan.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 09:05:33 AM by blykins »
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 09:24:11 AM »
I see about 25-30 at idle with a standard volume pump. 

The engine that I mentioned having the video of, was a 445.  It had .0025-.0026" on the mains, .0023-.0024 on the rods, .005" crank thrust clearance, .005" cam thrust clearance, and .017" rod side clearances.  Standard volume, standard pressure Melling pump.  Hydraulic roller. 

I personally don't see the need for extremely high oil pressure on most engines, nor do I spend a lot of time on the block work.  The oil pump feed hole gets blended, the holes in the bearing saddles get blended, and that's about it.

The 351C in the dragster has 55 psi @ 6800 and feels just fine.  Agree on the high pressure, my 351C motors with similar clearances run 25~30 hot, 60 at x RPM.  It's not pressure so much as volume.  If you can keep the bearings fed even at 5 psi, it'll run.  I prefer the MElling HV pumps and deburr the pump body, blend the path from the pump into the filter and back into the oil gallery.  Also take time to make sure the galleries are clear and scrubbed clean before assembly. 

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 11:04:06 AM »
  Oil "pressure" should be described as "back pressure" . I , like Brent , use a standard volume pump with a high pressure relief spring. The spring alone doesn't mean you will see super high pressures , it simply raises the the point where the pump goes into bypass.  If the pump is turning , oil is flowing 25-35 psi at idle and 60-70 at 5,000 up means the pump is still pumping more than the engine can take in. It is important to note that high volume pumps have higher pressure relief springs. They HAVE to because there is as much volume at idle as there is and 2,000- 2,500 with a standard pump. IF it had a standard spring , the pump would be in constant bypass mode. It is "my" opinion and personal experience that if the oil pressure is a constant 60 ( whatever number) and doesn't change , you have too much pump volume. YES bearing clearances and oil passage diameters have an effect on oil pressure . More "leaks" = lower pressure on the gauge , but again oil IS flowing. Higher oil pressure does have an effect on the "hydro dynamic wedge" at higher rpm. One must be careful when listening to "Smokey Yunick quotes" as a Chevrolet ( spur gear pump) is FAR different than the gerotor pumps used in Fords.  MANY years ago Melling ( at Ford's request) made a spur gear pump for an FE and it was a DISASTER as it could not supply enough oil to maintain oil pressure.
     Many guys use a high volume pump for what they call "insurance". Engines still fail with HV pumps.
     These are Just My Personal Opinions and others have theirs for their own reasons. Don't shoot me please.
          Randy

happystang

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2019, 07:56:54 PM »
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. It sounds like I'll be ordering the restrictors for my Edelbrock heads along with a Melling M-57hv pump. I'm planning on getting this unit from Precision Oil Pumps:

http://stores.precisionoilpumps.com/blueprinted-melling-ford-fe-high-volume-1-4-pump/

Comments? Suggestions?

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2019, 10:49:51 PM »
I actually did what Jay and Brent recommended. The main saddles were chamfered, as was the block side of the adapter. The passage from the adapter to the oil pump was enlarged, as was the oil pump hole. All gallery plugs were threaded and use pipe plugs. I am running a FFP moly pump drive and a Precision Oil Pumps HV blueprinted pump with the Boss 302 oil pick up and Holley #70 jets as restrictors to the rocker assemblies and a Cobra T-sump aluminum pan. I have good oil pressure across the RPM range. 30- 80 PSI and that with Brad Penn straight 30 wt. 
I should have a more than adequate oiling system.

-Keith

plovett

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 05:33:25 PM »
I looked down (briefly) at 7000 rpm and 135 mph once, and saw 90+ psi on my Autometer mechanical gauge.  I don't know how accurate it is, but that seems like a lot.   On the other hand I like the extra flow at idle, especially in 100+ outside temps.  For whatever that is worth.  :)

paulie

edit: forgot to mention this is with a Melling M57HV, "normal" oiling mods, and .090" restrictors in the heads. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 05:36:26 PM by plovett »

Ranch

• Retired Maintenance Machinist, Millwright
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2019, 05:50:08 PM »
I like the idea of the insurance of using a HV pump.  I like the presision Oil Pump blueprinted HV that Doug sells.  My argument is if you're not bleeding off more than the pump puts out you'll have pressure but bleed more than the pumps capacity, say worn rockers or big bearing or clearances basically anyplace and you might be bleeding off more than a standard pump, If I had to do it over again I wouldn't have tried blending number 1 bearing oil hole since it's closes to the pump and the first place to bleed. I'm not a racer but I don' hear to many haven problems with 1 & 5 rod bearings like you do 4 & 8, why, farther away from pump and all those bleeders ahead of them. I'm still a little skidish about rocker restrictions.  I know .070 seems to gets posted a lot and it might be ok at 6K or so but most of us live in stop and go traffic and are in the 800 or a grand neighbor hood and don't know how much oil is going up hill to the front of the rocker shafts, so I use .100.  I use steel shim head gaskets and they have .186 in them.  I need to have them fancy clear VC like Brent has to see for myself....JMO

« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 08:38:12 PM by Ranch »

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2019, 06:40:46 PM »
Brent, love the video.

On my first 428 years ago, I would get 65 to 70 getting on it, come down to 25 just driving, but only 15 to 20 warn at idle.
I never had a issues because of it, but what was happening ?

I had all the Canton products. Iron heads with Erson rockers and all performance touch's.