Author Topic: Oil pump recommendations & oil restrictors  (Read 5951 times)

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
Re: Oil pump recommendations & oil restrictors
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2019, 06:46:47 PM »
My daily driver F100 has the factory low pressure pump. Lol
I think it makes 2psi at hot idle. I figure that is one more than I need.

My car runs a HV pump.
I like to play with the clear covers as well. They are cool.

https://youtu.be/iT1tFlJXZ18

Ranch

• Retired Maintenance Machinist, Millwright
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2019, 08:25:06 PM »
I never liked the Erson or any needle bearing fulcrum rockers for reason that they don't seal to the sides. And are the shafts hardened for those needles?  Seems they would start to imprint on the shafts otherwise.
My advise would be to restrict way down on them, maybe .050.   They might be good foe eeeking out another horse or two but for around town and some longevity I'd stay with standard close bore on some nice shafts.....JMO

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2019, 09:21:12 PM »
I believe the OP mentioned he was using Ed heads, in which case the holley jets will not work. What I did on my Ed heads, was tap the holes for 12-28 set screws. The 3/16" hole will work for that tap size, as is.

Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2019, 08:34:05 AM »
I use HV oil pumps.  I am not sure there is insurance per se, but they push no more up to the top than a standard oil pump with the same spring.  What I like is the increased hot idle oil pressure and/or ability to run a bit thinner oil at the same hot idle pressure

Pressure is resistance to flow, and regardless which set of gears are in the pump, total volume to the galley is the same if the relief spring is the same.  The HV just dumps more at full gallop, which of course could lead to foaming, but I haven't seen it

That being said, the M57HV does have a slightly higher pressure spring in it.  Not as much as the high pressure pump, but truth in advertising, so theoretically it pushes slightly more to the top
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2019, 10:57:13 AM »
M57B. Surprised no one has mentioned this pump. Not in the catalogs anymore, but available.  I just bought ten of them.  Best of both worlds.  They all need a blueprint job to remove burrs.  I also machine the top of the bolt flange around the bolt holes parallel to the block mating surface.  They are not flat there, and need to be. 

Restriction depends on use, and rockers used.  Sometimes with new shafts and new rockers, no restriction, other times with some needle bearing stuff and drag-only use, as little as .028 restriction.  It depends on the situation.  Top oiling blocks need more attention on this than sideoilers.  You can only get "so much" around the groove in the cam anyway, and they have priority main oiling first.
Blair Patrick

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2019, 11:44:12 AM »
M57B. Surprised no one has mentioned this pump. Not in the catalogs anymore, but available.  I just bought ten of them.  Best of both worlds.  They all need a blueprint job to remove burrs.  I also machine the top of the bolt flange around the bolt holes parallel to the block mating surface.  They are not flat there, and need to be. 

Restriction depends on use, and rockers used.  Sometimes with new shafts and new rockers, no restriction, other times with some needle bearing stuff and drag-only use, as little as .028 restriction.  It depends on the situation.  Top oiling blocks need more attention on this than sideoilers.  You can only get "so much" around the groove in the cam anyway, and they have priority main oiling first.

Yep, that's what I was referring to on the first page when I said, "M57 with a spring".   I like those pumps.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2019, 07:15:55 PM »
I use a hv pump with a pink 100 lb spring from the old ford racing parts book still have some left.I have run this set up for years with good luck  ford made springs for most engines back in old  days.

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2019, 08:54:37 AM »
OK 4 pages back I asked a question on the stock aluminum 427 oil pump. Again I ask what's the feeling on using one in a 427tunnel port and what can be done to improve it. I have a couple of OEMs in the boxes I found yrs ago.

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2019, 01:52:17 PM »
OK 4 pages back I asked a question on the stock aluminum 427 oil pump. Again I ask what's the feeling on using one in a 427tunnel port and what can be done to improve it. I have a couple of OEMs in the boxes I found yrs ago.
Personally I wouldn't use an aluminum bodied pump due to the excessive expansion rate of aluminum over iron. Yes, I know Ford used aluminum pumps in all FE engines since the beginning and there was generally no problems but if you compare the 2 types I think you'll find less hot pressure bleed-off with an iron pump than that of the alum... I did, swapped a stock alum. pump with a std. pressure and volume iron pump [Melling M 57] in a low mileage 390 and picked up 15 lbs [45 lbs to 60 lbs, hot running] and about 5 lbs more at idle. Cold pressure was the same between the 2.