Author Topic: TFS intake  (Read 2882 times)

Sand hauler

• View Profile
TFS intake
« on: January 05, 2019, 10:26:31 PM »
Looking for opinions on the tfs intake vs the Edelbrock rpm  for a 449  street/strip truck. 3500 stall 4.30 gear. 850 demon
BBM heads 2.20/1.68 valves . 10.5-1 compr. Cam is 249/253@.050 .611/.618 lift
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 10:30:35 PM by Sand hauler »
Bobby-   Carlsbad, NM

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: TFS intake
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 10:53:52 AM »
So, most will tell you the RPM is hard to beat, especially if you are on the edge of the RPM and a big single plane hand-off.  I agree that the RPM will work well for yours.

However, I am absolutely a single plane fan in any FE, and as they go bigger and hotter, I like them more.  I would say that if you are interested in playing with a manifold that few have played with, go for it, I am certain the TFS intake will be strong assuming you don't have a 38 inch tall tire or something like that

Regardless, the mainstream response will be conservative and recommend the RPM, and it's VERY good advice if you don't want to be adventurous.

I swapped from a RPM to a Victor on my 489 FE with similar specs as yours, it ran better everywhere, however, I also added SEFI and full timing control, so I assume I bought back some low end.

I am doing a swap on my F100 stroker too, to port injected EFI also, and going with a Victor, and it is MUCH milder than yours, but again, it's EFI and computer controlled timing, so hard to know ahead of time

I will say this, with the price and availability of the TFS Track Heat, if I wasn't able to get the Edelbrock EFI kit, my 461 truck was getting a Track Heat intake with a FITech and ignition control.  Part of me still wishes I did, but the port injection works very nice so hard for me to go with a TBI
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 10:57:35 AM by My427stang »
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Sand hauler

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 12:48:18 PM »
Thank you sir, I was leaning more towards the track heat as well. As for tire on my f100  won't be going over 31". This is my first real performance build and I am starting to second guess myself. Although looking back i probably should have gone with a roller cam instead of the hyd flat tappet. But its what I already have on hand. Any way, I have a hunch that the track heat would be better for mid and top end . But like you said it seems like im right on the edge,lol.
Bobby-   Carlsbad, NM

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 02:35:02 PM »
Thank you sir, I was leaning more towards the track heat as well. As for tire on my f100  won't be going over 31". This is my first real performance build and I am starting to second guess myself. Although looking back i probably should have gone with a roller cam instead of the hyd flat tappet. But its what I already have on hand. Any way, I have a hunch that the track heat would be better for mid and top end . But like you said it seems like im right on the edge,lol.

Let me say this, I assumed solid flat tappet.  I do not think you made a horrible cam choice with a hyd flat tappet at the specs you chose, but you will have to take care to run the right spring, the right preload for every lifter.  That likely means adjustable rockers or multiple pushrod lengths.  Then once you get through break in it will be fine, but a solid flat would have been as cheap and a bit easier

With your gear and tire, regardless, that truck should jump off the ground, but either intake will work well, I can say that about the RPM from experience, and the Track Heat from opinion based on the Victors.  I don't think there is a wrong choice, but like I said, if you want to be adventurous I think your gear, converter and tire should help you.

Then later if you decide to add more cam, you are ready either way
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Sand hauler

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 04:13:52 PM »
Yes sir i couldn't agree more with you on trying to set it up for future improvement. My rocker choice is a set of adj from precision pumps . Springs however im on the fence about. They recommend a spring similar to the comp cam 930 springs but I'm not sure if that will be enough on the top end. And if i go with a spring for a solid it seems to be a bit too much for it at 142#/402#. So i guess the lighter spring will have to do for now its always an experiment of sorts , lol
Bobby-   Carlsbad, NM

Sand hauler

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 04:24:11 PM »
Here are the cam specs . Lift shown is with the non adj rocker instead of 1.76 adj. Also shown are the two springs i mentioned previously.
Bobby-   Carlsbad, NM

Sand hauler

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2019, 04:30:09 PM »
The cam card
Bobby-   Carlsbad, NM

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2019, 04:41:24 PM »
(1) Strokers generally do not like to rev.  The single plane TFS intake will want rpm, a bunch more cam, and/or a lot of inches.

(2) Your cam will be done before 6000 in a 4.250 stroker. 

(3) Doug's rockers will check a little shy on ratio, so you won't have as much lift as the card says.

No way I would use the TFS on your combo.  The RPM intake will be better than the TFS probably all the way to 5500, and you are done at 6K.  In a truck also.....ED RPM all the way if I was doing it.

Blair Patrick

Sand hauler

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2019, 05:33:59 PM »
Thank you sir, I was wondering if that would be the case. Why I've been second guessing my self. Lol
Bobby-   Carlsbad, NM

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 10:50:24 PM »
Another option you might consider is one of the small single planes that used to be available, either the Edelbrock Streetmaster or the Holley Street Dominator.  I don't think they'd be as good as a Performer RPM up to 4500 RPM or so, but above that they should be a little better.  Used ones are out there.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Sand hauler

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 03:04:20 PM »
Thank you Jay, I was considering going that route,but ended up giving my son the street master i had to him,for his mild 396 build that will go in his 75 F250 high boy .lol also wouldn't the 850 be too much for the street master or street dominator?
Bobby-   Carlsbad, NM