Author Topic: Edelbrock Head, Things To-Do Before Installing  (Read 4686 times)

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: Edelbrock Head, Things To-Do Before Installing
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2019, 10:37:52 AM »
I like the idea of a lash cap!

If I am cutting the seats a few thousandths to get the seat heights similar, I don't believe that is a big deal. The worst one was .009 above the lowest on the exhaust seats. Not sure if I should bother with the .004.  The 6's and 9's I will attempt to correct. 

I agree completely, a little rubbing doesn't hurt anything, but .030 is what caught my eye.  Hopefully you can match them up with the intake valve swap and it won't take any special work.  Sure shows how the mass produced stuff has a range of "good 'nuff"
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

FirstEliminator

• View Profile
Re: Edelbrock Head, Things To-Do Before Installing
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2019, 01:37:52 AM »
I've been doing a little work to the E-heads. Picked-up a set of 2.19 intake valves from Brent. got the 3/8" pilots and and valve seat height gauge. I trimmed the exhaust seats to get them all at the same height and improved the concentricity. Also, I had scribed the cylinder shape of the head gasket to unshroud the valves. The 482 was boarderline of too high compression so adding a little volume to the chamber would help keep it in the safe zone even if the unshrouding  didn't do anything for flow.  I started working on the intake seats and there was quite a big of material to remove. The cutter lift a long 60 degree angle and hefty ridge at below that. Today I ordered a 75 degree cutter with a radius at bottom. I think this will work good to initially blend the long 60 degree into the bowl, then finish by hand.
   Here is a question. I read about there being a venturi shape below the seat which helps low-lift flow. From what I was reading this ID of the throat should be about 83-85% of the valve diameter. Looking at these E-heads out of the box it seems like there is not much for venturi or any reduced throat ID. It's as if you are lifting the lid off a barrel when the valve opens. Going with the 83% formula using the bigger 2.19 valve the cutter is still a ways away from touching the ID below the seat.

So far so good, other than needing to replace one intake seat because I cut to far. Of course Edelbrock uses non standard seat dimensions. Luckily they had a few on the shelf that I bought today. With 2-day air they should be here Wednesday.

In this pic, the really wide angle is the 60 degree, then a ridge below that. I'm wondering how narrow to make the 60 and smooth out the ridge? About the same as the 45 and 30? Or keep it longer? Not yet sure what to do in this area.
Mark
Berkshire Transmissions
North Adams, Massachusetts

70 Cougar XR-7 460 C-6
70 Cougar XR-7 conv 351c 4v FMX
69 Cougar SS 351w AOD
69 Cougar Sunroof Eliminator 351w FMX
69 Cougar XR-7 390 C-6
68 Monterey 390 C-6
68 Monterey conv 390 C-6
64 Montclair Marauder 390 Merc-O
58 Monterey 383 Merc-O