Author Topic: Crankcase evacuation and oil mist  (Read 5032 times)

Chad D

• View Profile
Crankcase evacuation and oil mist
« on: October 09, 2012, 02:07:36 PM »
I've seen several aftermarket pieces for removing oil mist/vapor from crankcase evacuation systems, reviewed with widely varying results.  It seems success is highly dependent on installation variables that I am not able to discover.  This is the beginning of my deep search, so I thought I'd come here and cheat.  Does anyone have a combination they've tried with good results, specifically, negative crankcase pressure with low or zero oil loss?

I'm attracted to header evac setups, because they eliminate the need for an external pump, but finding one that doesn't empty the pan seems to be quite a trick.  Has anyone tried or taken a serious look at either of these pieces:

http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=L200010000&Store_Code=LPE&search=oil+air+vapor&filter_cat=&PowerSearch_Begin_Only=&sort=&range_low=&range_high=

or

http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/pdfs/product_lit/americas_brochures/LT36168.pdf

drdano

• View Profile
Re: Crankcase evacuation and oil mist
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 03:19:51 PM »
Here is a similar thread on PCV systems with a few different options. 

http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=567.0

I did end up buying a Moroso separator can and will try that, but will be going to the header evac system next if it doesn't work.

Chad D

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 04:20:30 PM »
Thanks for the link, I've seen that thread.  I should have been more specific, the Moroso unit is one of a few I'd seen inconsistent reviews on.  Of course, without installation details it's hard to understand where they would or would not work well.  A couple things I'm concerned about (wrt: oil mist in a header evac setup) are O2 sensor contamination and oil return.  I'm leaning toward a manifold position evac, breathers on the valve covers, maybe the Moroso setup is for me after all.

drdano

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 07:48:59 PM »
If the header evac is downstream of the O2 sensors, I don't think it would be an issue.  Lots of guys are running 02 sensors and header evac kits on race cars and I'd assume on street cars too.  I figured the can was worth trying before going that route...though much more expensive thus far.  I'll report more when I've got some engine time with it. 

jmlay

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 06:54:19 AM »
Chad,

I have contemplated the one in the first link for my lighting, used on some European cars. I have never see the one in the second link but it looks interesting as well. The reason I have not purchased is mostly due to cost. I see many people in the Lightning community utilize a simple air compressor water separator or a catch can not unlike the Moroso unit listed in the other thread & having just as much success.

The lighting PCV system is a poor design in my opinion but I am certainly not an expert. The PCV valve in a Lighting is NOT a one way chek valve. It does have a ball but the way it is designed it just reduces the flow not stopping it. The link below is an example of the the oil & oil vapor will do to the intact if some type of separator is not utilized. This is not my truck but I am certain it looks exactly the same if not worse & will be cleaned this fall.

http://www.lightningrodder.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94465&highlight=clean+intercooler
Mike

67 Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 05:26:04 PM »
I have used the first filter you listed on a 4.2 liter turbo diesel ,when under boost would push oil mist through the turbo , intercooler causing a oily sludge .After fitting the filter both intercooler ,turbo and  intake remained clean . You have the option to drain back or just capture the oil and the rest of the muck and drain at service .It worked a treat best of luck .

Mark