Author Topic: OH HAPPY DAY!!!!!!  (Read 3066 times)

AlanCasida

• View Profile
OH HAPPY DAY!!!!!!
« on: December 15, 2018, 07:36:38 PM »
Tonight I found my Dad's 18" 1/2" drive break over bar. I thought I had lost it for sure and was sick over it. I had been looking for it for probably 6 months. It is part of the Wizard tool set(which I still have most of and use) he bought back in the 60s from the Western Auto in Pleasanton, Ks. It's funny how you can get attached to inanimate objects. Sharp eyed folks might see the nut/bolt arrangement on the business end instead of a pin. I broke the pin many years ago trying loosen a bolt on a truck I had. I had a 3' cheater pipe on it with both feet on the pipe and my arms wrapped around the frame pushing! That's what took to break it. It now has a grade 8 bolt and nut in it's place. Great quality back then even in the low buck stuff.  ;D

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: OH HAPPY DAY!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 10:08:14 PM »
That's cool, Alan! Glad you found it. Some pieces are keepsakes, and when they're actually a good piece, that's even cooler. That handle actually looks really comfortable. Something that's important in a breaker bar.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 11:28:45 PM »
That’s cool Alan.
My favorite is my dad’s 3/8 drive Craftsman ratchet. It runs better than any new one I have.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 05:16:44 AM »
Yup, know the feeling. I have a huge personal set of hand tools. I was looking for a 1/2 t0 3/8s  adapter to take the belt off the dodge diesel last week. Couldn`t find one in the big box. Went home and started digging in the garage and found one in the tool box, buried of course.

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 06:01:03 PM »
I lost my Dad in 1980 to cancer. He was only 53. Those tools are about the only tangible things I have left that were his so they hold a lot of meaning to me.

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 06:04:27 PM »
Exactly the way I feel.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 10:40:48 AM »
I lost my Dad in 1980 to cancer. He was only 53. Those tools are about the only tangible things I have left that were his so they hold a lot of meaning to me.

Same here - have a few of my Dads and some of grand dads.  Lucky to have even a bit.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 10:43:43 AM »
Yup! A few tools with Dad's name roughly scratched into the metal. Always smile when I grab one!
Bob Maag

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2018, 12:49:00 PM »
I walk by my great great grandfathers grindstone stand with
his initials J.O.J branded in to the wood, everyday in the barn when
i go out in the garage. He is the guy with the beard and Chevron marks on the
sleeves. And we have his sons home made wood working tools from small hand planes
to a hand cranked woodlathe Branded with J.F.J. And his service pistol he is the guy
upper row to the right with a mustache

Picture is from early 1890s
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 12:57:12 PM by Heo »

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 03:19:25 AM »
That's pretty neat to have such preserved pictures from that era! There are only a few I have from the early 1900's that survived and even less that are in that nice of shape.

I also have a lot of my Dad's tools. My favorites are the ones he had when he was actually working as a mechanic on the floor - they all have his name etched in them. I have his toolbox from then as well. It was cool when he gave me the tools when I started at the first shop, but they mean a lot more to me when he passed away very young and fairly unexpectedly.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 04:18:12 AM »
A funny thing with that pic Rusty is, the two guys to the left and
the guy in front row to the right is my  relatives on my mothers side.
And from another town, but they where stationed on the same island
They where pilots that sailed big ships in to the harbour from the open sea
My parents met 70 years after this pic was taken

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2018, 04:48:35 AM »
That's pretty crazy Heo. It's a cool story, not a lot of people are fortunate enough to have that much history that well preserved. On my Dad's side once you get past his parents it gets fuzzy quick and I know almost nothing. It's only my Mom's side I know much about but everything before about 1915 got lost on the boat over here, so I know the stories but there aren't pictures or anything left prior to the boat ride. Grandpa did give me some tools also and a few of those were his Dads.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2018, 01:11:48 PM »
We have stayed at the same place for hundred of years and to
cheap to throw anything away so ;D...Before 1240 things get a litle fussy for me ???

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2018, 03:21:23 AM »
Things get fuzzy for me before 12:40 in the morning, let alone in YEARS!  :o