Author Topic: Clobberator Choice for Smog Check  (Read 4239 times)

FElony

Clobberator Choice for Smog Check
« on: December 19, 2018, 02:08:27 PM »
For giggles, I thought I'd try to get this car through smog so I can scatter women, children, and slow-moving soy boys who might make the dubious decision to use an intersection crosswalk as I am approaching it. Vroom vroom.

Engine is a CJ with 238/248 HFT, E427 intake, and 6375's hanging underneath. Present carb is 830 annular with 4-corner idle. Will temporarily switching to a 600 help at all? If so, tips for setup? Also, what about timing? More, or less, initial? Limp it in on 87 octane, or run usual 91? How about that stuff in a can that is "guaranteed" to clean up exhaust gases? Does it work? Any other ideas?

Dan859

• View Profile
Re: Clobberator Choice for Smog Check
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 03:00:40 PM »
So, are the simulated "vroom vroom" noises supposed to fire our imaginations?  I can't get no satisfaction without a video.  ;D

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 04:52:19 PM »
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 09:11:57 PM »
As a pure research mission, I once tried the 4300 off my 70 Mach1's 351C-4V on the 427 that was in my offroad 77 F250 Highboy, flattops, CJ heads, Street Dominator, 291/541 cam, and it would pass a sniffer test at stock specs for the truck's 351M. On the stock Mustang 351C-4V, it was way under specs, very clean

FElony

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 10:03:46 PM »
OH, here it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6LahtrxVhg

Oh yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Gives a little jolt to the imagination, huh, Dan? Or do you want the FElony written version?

FElony

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 10:08:48 PM »
As a pure research mission, I once tried the 4300 off my 70 Mach1's 351C-4V on the 427 that was in my offroad 77 F250 Highboy, flattops, CJ heads, Street Dominator, 291/541 cam, and it would pass a sniffer test at stock specs for the truck's 351M. On the stock Mustang 351C-4V, it was way under specs, very clean

Cool. I was thinking to put a real low power valve in the 600 so the secondaries never open. But, not sure that they would anyway, considering the relatively slow acceleration to whatever speed it is they go on the rollers. I can't recall if they check idle emissions. Been so long since I've smogged a carb.

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 04:51:49 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVV9HzPAH8I

Another pedestrian smog scattering option.

Dan859

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 11:00:19 AM »
Oh yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Gives a little jolt to the imagination, huh, Dan? Or do you want the FElony written version?

Oh, I really think the FElony written version is a must see!

FElony

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 03:02:36 PM »

Oh, I really think the FElony written version is a must see!

I hammered out a rough draft last night. It wound up way too graphic for this forum, I think. Years ago I put something not quite as bad into the other FE forum, and the reaction was crickets. Not exactly worth the effort. I mean, we don't want the owner here to wind up sitting in his chicken coop's safe space, rocking back and forth repeating my name whilst shoveling hot dogs and Haagen-Dazs down his throat, do we? Uh, do we? Hmm. Uh, no no no of course not what was I thinking. Bad FElony. Bad bad FElony.

FElony

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 03:14:54 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVV9HzPAH8I

Another pedestrian smog scattering option.

Much like the YT commenters, I gotta have one. Y'know, the Sheriff's substation is in a strip mall not far from here, a few doors down from my usual watering hole. The visual of sitting at an outside table getting shitfaced (not much different from my regular face) and letting that sound bit rip via remote control during shift change at the station is too much to resist. I have till April 1st to science it out.

Dan859

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 03:46:29 PM »
What you need is a diesel daily driver.  Great against both mosquitoes and protesters  ;D

FElony

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2018, 03:51:46 PM »
What you need is a diesel daily driver.

I'd rather dance on the front line in a Ziegfeld Follies resurrection than be caught dead or alive in a diesel.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2018, 04:21:08 PM »
Just needs to be the right diesel.   One that smokes like a proper 1970's diesel.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK_Ukv3wr88
Larry

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2018, 11:25:10 PM »
They gave up on smog checks here in Michigan, but back when we had to do it, I knew an accommodating test station operator that'd simply input my car information while running some other car twice. I may have had the cleanest 427 in the county---at least on paper.

KS

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2018, 06:34:46 AM »
When we used to do in in Massachusetts it was an idle test only, timing retarded (stock specs usually did it), engine good and hot, carb adjusted correctly.  Timing was the biggest component for a good running engine
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch