Author Topic: Frustration with Summit  (Read 6404 times)

Pentroof

• View Profile
Frustration with Summit
« on: December 14, 2018, 01:02:30 PM »
The packaging has gotten increasingly absurd.

Most recent box included several gaskets and full order of bearings. The box was huge, to accommodate the largest gaskets. I get that, but there was hardly any filler used, The boxes of cam, crank and rod bearings were floating around. On top of that, the rod bearing box was completely empty and the bearings were in a pile in the bottom of the box. Of course, this depends on which end you consider the bottom, but they were always at the bottom...meaning, I heard them before I opened the box.

On top of that issue, I can't find any material that would have been protecting the Speed Pro rod bearings when they were in the box. I can't remember what they use, but I assume there should be some sort of divider? Not to be found within the box or among the packaging. So, did a disgruntled Summit employee empty the box of bearings into the bigger box before taping it up and sending it on its way?

Frustrating. All the bearings are marked up from each other and I'll be sending them back. Luckily, I took pictures as I opened the box, because I could hear that they were loose.
Jim

68fecyclone

• View Profile
Re: Frustration with Summit
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 01:12:34 PM »
   I know what you mean with their packaging. It seems that the boxes from Texas are the worst. Everything is beat up, no filler material, the boxes are occasionally open. Surprisingly nothing is ever missing. Also, Texas doesn't even put packing slips with the order. Rob

blu64galaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 01:32:33 AM »
I feel for ya, I do !

This summer I received a pair of 1020 Felpro head gaskets from Summit, and upon opening the box I'd bet they woulda fit a rotary 4cyl airplane engine  --jk, but you get the idea. Around that same time I received a pair of spendy header gaskets, this time from a 'ma and pa' type online speed-shop, packed in a too-small triangular tube  --oh yes, cousin Darryl decided they'd fit right in if he kinked them longways and voila, in they went.  :-[

All parts were returned and not harmed any further in the telling of this story. I did finish it all without much further ado,  The End   ;D

ps: I did keep the scant bit of bubble wrap for my needed therapy session, lol.

Norm Russo  blu64galaxie

1964 Galaxie 500  aka 'the blue goose'

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 05:06:14 AM »
JEGGGGG's.  LoL
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 07:56:46 AM »
I know they can't stock every part in the world, but after a month of daily slips to my EFI delivery that pushed out to late January now, I gave up on Summit and had Brent get it for me.

You'd think a company like Summit would have every wholesaler in their back pocket, but they couldn't make an EFI system delivery happen.  On the good side though, the original deal had a free air cleaner in the deal, which they shipped and told me to keep.  Not a windfall, but hey free is free :)
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 08:15:53 AM »
Try to live on the end of the line like i do.
I get sent to me the junk others have rejected
and sent back. Oooh hold your horses dont throw
that away, send it to Sweden to much trouble to
send it back, so he keep it and fix it >:(
And thats not just Summit

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 08:50:06 AM »
I haven't had much trouble with Summit, but 90% of what I order comes from the Nevada warehouse. I have noticed they aren't using nearly as much packing filler, but anytime I've ordered "delicate" parts they seem to have extra filler. I'm sure my luck will run out sooner or later. I will say this, Summit has always taken care of any issues with damage, wrong parts, etc. whenever I've had any. There is no doubt that the last year or 2 their customer service has noticeably gone down hill. I'm just lucky I haven't had any real problem yet.

Lately it seems like Speedway has been pretty good about instock and quickly shipping, but they tend to be a little higher priced and for me it's easily a week to see anything from them if it's in stock, 2 weeks if not.

Not really Summit or Jegs fault, but I'm less inclined to buy from them now that they started charging tax. I understand that it isn't their fault. The thing is, at least where I live, the State has been so unreasonable in respect to taxes and regulations for small businesses that all the speed shops I used to deal with local essentially got driven out of business. Now the State is forcing online retailers to collect tax under the guise of being "fair" to brick and mortar businesses that their unreasonable taxes forced out of business in the first place. 

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 08:58:44 AM »
Speedway is a good company, they are about an hour from me and really easy to work with.

Not that Summit and Jegs aren't too, but like you, if tax comes into play, why not buy where I can go grab the parts and look at them?

If you ever do a mail order from Advance Auto or Autozone though, THAT'S where you get to see some lazy packaging.  Same deal as the original post, loose stuff, folded stuff, I don't even bother
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 01:44:57 PM »

If you ever do a mail order from Advance Auto or Autozone though, THAT'S where you get to see some lazy packaging.  Same deal as the original post, loose stuff, folded stuff, I don't even bother

WORST packing job I've EVER seen was from Rock Auto. I bought 2 brake drums for my 73 F350 dump truck, no one had the F350 drums in stock locally.

They packed both of them in a one flimsy box and threw in about 10 old D-cell batteries. NOT kidding, no other packing what-so-ever. I'll see if I still have the picture from that. It was a pretty epic packing job fail. They did take care of the issue and sent 2 more drums out.

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2018, 04:09:06 PM »
alot of it might not be summits fault.my son worked for fedex for a few years and he told me some of the dock workers and warehousers were rough with packages.they throw them around like they dont care whats inside.i have seen well packed stuff get busted open.
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

stubbie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2018, 07:39:37 PM »
I know your pain Heo. Sweden must be like Australia. Send any old crap you find on the shelf. It's only $400 in freight, no problem.

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2021, 10:54:18 AM »
After paying over $1400.   canadian for a set of hooker headers from summit for a 69 fairlane with a fe. We waited for more than a month and a half the box finally arrived here in northern ontario.  We opened up the hooker box and found a scrap 69 fairlane fe header.  The tubes stuck out a quarter inch past the mounting flange.  For the drivers  side they actually sent a shorty header for some type of small block chev. 
    Called summit to return at our cost then almost two months later another box show up from summit.  They sent the exact same headers that were no good the first time right down to even the same shorty header.After sending the box back again... four and a half months later the real set showed up.

garyv

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2021, 11:16:20 AM »
Let me tell you guys a good one.  About 3 or 4 years ago my wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas. I usually tell her
something I can use in the garage or on one of my vehicles..
I have a Quicktime bell I bought from Barry several years ago. It's one without the starter cover, so I told her I needed that cover and
Jegs had them for $39.  She ordered it for her parents to give me and had it delivered to their house so it would be there for Christmas day.
Christmas day at their home I had this big heavy box under the tree and when I opened it there was a complete Quicktime FE bellhousing.
My wife noticed the shocked look on my face and she said she ordered the starter cover and this is what they sent.
I called jegs and told them about the mistake and they arranged for FedEx to pick it up at my house and said they'd sent me the cover.  So about a week or so after they picked it up FedEx showed up with a big heavy box and it was the same bellhousing  ;D.
I called them back and tried to explain it to them to no avail.  So I have got a complete bellhousing for $39.  I think they are $800 plus
now.
Sometimes the mistakes end up in your favor sometime not.

garyv

Diogenes

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2021, 11:30:43 AM »
I stopped ordering from jegs long ago--they NEVER got any of my orders right. I swear, it was like going to some fast food drive through where they aren't capable of pushing the button on the register that has the correct product photo on it, since having words on a register is far too confusing. I often suggested they write everything in crayon or sidewalk chalk, then they may understand. Once again, the dismal tide rears its ugly head.
WHEN CRIMINALS MAKE THE LAWS, OBEYING THE LAW IS A CRIME.

1966 Galaxie 500 390 Toploader 3.89 Traction-Lock 9in.
1985 Toyota Celica Supra
1971 Montego MX wagon 351C Toploader Detroit Locker Cyclone competition gauge/dash bucket seats/console
1989 Texas DPS Police Mustang
1971 Torino GT 351C 4V AT
1968 Cougar 351W Toploader Traction-Lock 8in.
1989 Dodge Omni modified 2.5 turbo from hell

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2021, 11:40:05 AM »
I only use Jegs. Had a problem I ordered the wrong rim and mounted a tire on it they told me to be careful and dismount and send it back they will look at it. A week and a half later got my refund. Granted I spend a lot of money there between my dad and me but they took care of it.