Author Topic: "IT'S A SMALL WORLD" REPORT  (Read 6161 times)

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
"IT'S A SMALL WORLD" REPORT
« on: November 29, 2018, 10:11:33 PM »
So I'm one of the only people on earth who is interested in parts for the 1910 Maytag car. Because I have one, and when you have a collector car, you have to hoard parts for it right? And when you are talking about a car where probably less than 15 or 20 remain on the planet, that is especially true. Someone on the H.A.M.B. messaged me about a fellow who was supposed to have a pair of 1910 Maytag parts cars. Perhaps the only ones in existence. So I followed up on the lead, and talked to the guy, and yes, that's what he has. He sent pictures, I agreed to buy them, and started planning my trip to Montana to pick them up. So me and this fellow spent a while on the phone, talking about cars. He tells me he has a 64 Comet 427  cammer. Of course I mentioned Jay. And it ends up that this guy is FE Power member Leny Mason!  Haha, small; world indeed. I'm really looking forward to meeting you, Leny!

turbohunter

• View Profile
Re: "IT'S A SMALL WORLD" REPORT
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 12:10:55 AM »
That’s pretty darn cool.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

FERoadster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 12:29:27 AM »
Leny sometimes scares me! I've got to stop by Leny's place sometime on my way east.

Also Eric Wengen from Elizabeth Colorado  is back on HAMB with a 39 Willy's build with a 427 SOHC engine.

Richard >>> FERoadster

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 08:42:11 AM »
How cool is that?   ;D
Larry

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 09:21:57 AM »
Hmmm,... a cammer in a Maytag. Mr. Toads wild ride.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

57 lima bean

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 12:36:11 PM »
For you Joel.....This is believable.Good to see these things

Dan859

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 12:41:14 PM »
That's a beautiful car!  I had a 1927 Franklin, air cooled engine, but it wasn't nearly as nice as that Maytag

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 01:09:02 PM »
Nice car but.....does it have a wash/dry cycle button?  ???
Bob Maag

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 01:34:40 PM »
When I first brought it home, the first thing my bride said was "where do I put the clothes in?"

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 01:39:15 PM »
Nice car but.....does it have a wash/dry cycle button?  ???
No...But it does have a "delicate" cycle so you can do your undies :)

chris401

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 01:58:27 PM »
So I'm one of the only people on earth who is interested in parts for the 1910 Maytag car. Because I have one, and when you have a collector car, you have to hoard parts for it right? And when you are talking about a car where probably less than 15 or 20 remain on the planet, that is especially true. Someone on the H.A.M.B. messaged me about a fellow who was supposed to have a pair of 1910 Maytag parts cars. Perhaps the only ones in existence. So I followed up on the lead, and talked to the guy, and yes, that's what he has. He sent pictures, I agreed to buy them, and started planning my trip to Montana to pick them up. So me and this fellow spent a while on the phone, talking about cars. He tells me he has a 64 Comet 427  cammer. Of course I mentioned Jay. And it ends up that this guy is FE Power member Leny Mason!  Haha, small; world indeed. I'm really looking forward to meeting you, Leny!
Interesting how many old car companies there were back then. Many squashed by the Big 3.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 08:11:52 PM by chris401 »

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2018, 02:33:50 PM »
He was telling me that the same engine was used in the cars as the washing machines. Interesting how many old car companies there were back then. Many squashed by the Big 3.

Actually, the car engine and the washing machine engines had nothing to do with each other. Maytag did not introduce a gasoline powered washer until 1914.
The car and its engine were designed and a prototype built by Fred Duesenberg in 1904-1905. The engine was a 5" bore x 5" stroke 2 cylinder, overhead valve, horizontally opposed, making about 25 horsepower. It had a cast aluminum crankcase, cast iron pistons, and cast iron cylinders with integral heads, and probably weighs 300+ pounds. Not too practical for a wash machine!

When Duesenberg first designed the car, with a dream of going into production, he named it the Marvel. But to get money for a factory and startup, he sold a 2/3 interest to Ed Mason, which was enough $ to get  into production. Thus, the car name was changed from Marvel to Mason. In 1909, Mason sold out to Fred Maytag, who moved the factory from Des Moines to Waterloo, Iowa; reorganized the company to Maytag Mason Motor Company; and began badging the cars as Maytags.

Maytag had made his fortune in farm equipment manufacturing, and the car business and the washing machines (and also a railroad) were attempts to diversify, smoothing out the seasonal ups and downs of the farm stuff. He lost $ on Mason/Maytag, and sold out within a year. The Maytag name was removed, so the cars were called Masons again.

When it became obvious that Duesenbergs beloved little 2 banger was obsolete (at least from a marketing perspective) Fred designed an awesome, powerful, lightweight 4 cylinder engine to update the cars. When the bean counters said "NO" and went with a cheaper engine from an outside vendor, Fred and Augie Duesenberg packed up and moved to St. Paul Minnesota, and formed the Duesenberg Motor Company. Their 4 cylinder motor, and its later derivatives, became a phenomenal success on the racetrack, in the air, and on the water, making Duesenberg a household name. http://www.enginehistory.org/members/articles/DuesenbergAircraftEngines.pdf

The engines that Mason Motors purchased and installed in their cars, as well as the rear axles they were purchasing, were largely defective, destroying the once good name of the company, and they went bankrupt.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 04:57:31 PM by Hemi Joel »

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2018, 02:40:13 PM »
@
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 03:01:12 PM by Hemi Joel »

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2018, 02:56:43 PM »
Two cylinder motor. Note the roller lifters and roller rockers!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 02:58:19 PM by Hemi Joel »

chris401

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2018, 08:14:50 PM »
Two cylinder motor. Note the roller lifters and roller rockers!
Thanks for the history lesson. I edited the post. Was the 25 hp engine also used as a stationery farm or industrial power source?