Author Topic: Making a change with my second project.  (Read 2947 times)

james

• View Profile
Making a change with my second project.
« on: November 29, 2018, 07:13:59 PM »
Instead of putting my Boss 9 hemi in my 1966 mercury comet I decided to buy a 1965 mercury comet cyclone which happens to be my all time favorite car. The pics are not that good because they were taken off of my computer. The car will be delivered this coming Tuesday. I have been looking for a very very long time, like two years or so. I also think I got it for a very good price and the guy I bought from is a Ford guy who is restoring a 1969 Mustang Shelby Clone. He is also selling a beautiful  fully restored 1953 Ford truck. I think it's a 53?

Again I apologize for the pictures and I just saw you cannot read the attachments. When I get it I will take more pics. The guy said the car has been in storage for 20 years and I have no reason not believe him. I got it for $4,500
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 07:19:59 PM by james »

FERoadster

• View Profile
Re: Making a change with my second project.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 12:48:01 AM »
James: that's a really good price but the statement about the floorboards is kind of a letdown.
I've got a 65 Caliente HT that I've got to get the title straighten out to sell it. I was 17 and paid for it but (underage) it's in my deceased fathers name and my BIL was the executor so he lost the title.  I bought it new in 65 and took it off the road in 1972 so mine has been stored inside for 46 years. It does have "shelf wear".

Richard >>> FERoadster

james

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 04:03:18 PM »
Well that may be but as the saying goes, "anything can be made or even fixed." I figure even if it's more money I'm still ahead. Thanks for your comments.

james

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 07:40:42 PM »
Instead of putting my Boss 9 hemi in my 1966 mercury comet I decided to buy a 1965 mercury comet cyclone which happens to be my all time favorite car. The pics are not that good because they were taken off of my computer. The car will be delivered this coming Tuesday. I have been looking for a very very long time, like two years or so. I also think I got it for a very good price and the guy I bought from is a Ford guy who is restoring a 1969 Mustang Shelby Clone. He is also selling a beautiful  fully restored 1953 Ford truck. I think it's a 53?

Again I apologize for the pictures and I just saw you cannot read the attachments. When I get it I will take more pics. The guy said the car has been in storage for 20 years and I have no reason not believe him. I got it for $4,500

Well the car arrived last night without any problems. It definitely needs floor boards and new fiberglass hood. The guy that sold it to me is a ford guy and he told me this car has been in storage for 20 years. He's going to make a 1968 mustang shelby clone. He called the engine in the comet a 289 challenger. Anybody familar with that name "challenger?"  Thanks

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 03:10:42 AM »
A little ruff around the edges but a good looking, pretty solid car to build off of!

Isn't the "Challenger" the name for the 289K code? Aka Challenger Aka HiPo, etc.?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 03:12:40 AM by RustyCrankshaft »

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 09:39:03 AM »
The car look pretty good to me, especially if it only needs floorboards and no other major sheetmetal work. Don't know about your statement on the hood as that looks pretty good too. FYI, it's good trade material if you elect to get another one.

On the engine, no, challenger was never a name Ford used  for any 289. Instead, it it's a K code car (see article) or has a Hi-Po 289 (it should if a K) the engine is worth some bucks. If true, I'd not treat it as any old 289.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/engine/1712-all-you-need-to-know-about-the-mustang-hi-po-289-part-1/

Much more on Google/Bing: try "hi-po 289" or "K-code 289"

Keep us informed!
Bob Maag

C8OZ

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 10:52:33 AM »
Edit to say: Oops, nope. Ford DID refer to the 289s as Challenger along the way, although Mercury was using the Cyclone name.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 11:09:17 AM by C8OZ »

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 11:52:19 AM »
In my -65 shopmanual they refer to the 289 as the challenger

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 12:09:15 PM »
Never saw the shop manual! So, it is true then and I stand corrected.  :-[
Bob Maag

C8OZ

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 12:10:48 PM »
In the sales brochures I have, Ford was referring to the 289s as Challenger and FEs as Thunderbird at least up until 1967. I didn't remember it either. Nor that they called the 427 the "Cobra" option in 68.

rcodecj

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 12:16:42 PM »
I have seen a 289 with valve covers that said Challenger on them.
I don't really remember much about it, just the valve covers.