Author Topic: All things FE Headers.  (Read 27891 times)

cammerfe

• View Profile
Re: All things FE Headers.
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2020, 11:46:57 PM »
I ask because I have a set of the Dougs headers and they have the cross under,and was curious.
The comment above regarding the 'import, buzzy sound' is solidly in my memory as the sound of an original Ford GT 40. To my mind, there is no more wonderful engine sound, with the possible exception of the headers and glasspacks on my '53 Merc flathead, :)

KS

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2020, 03:07:29 AM »
The comment above regarding the 'import, buzzy sound' is solidly in my memory as the sound of an original Ford GT 40. To my mind, there is no more wonderful engine sound, with the possible exception of the headers and glasspacks on my '53 Merc flathead, :)

KS

I like it, too. It's been around on Fords, since 1963.
Frank

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2020, 01:20:30 PM »
I remember a dragster i saw in the 80s with a Cleveland and headers like that
A sounds of its own 8)

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2020, 06:17:37 PM »
Not model specific, but I did find out today that FPA is sourcing their headers from a different place now. For many years they were getting their headers made by Stan's Headers in Auburn Washington. One of the main header builders at Stan's left to start his own shop and has been building headers for FPA for a little while now. Trying to get his contact info - not sure if he is wholesale only or not but I would imagine he will sell to the public.

427John

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2020, 10:52:53 AM »
At one time Stan was FPA,is that not the case anymore?

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2020, 06:34:38 PM »
At one time Stan was FPA,is that not the case anymore?

As far as I know Stan's headers has always been a separate company but I could be wrong. Stan's, as far as I know and as long as I've dealt with them has just done headers/exhaust.

Blueoval77

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2020, 11:08:04 AM »
Well I guess you all are going to force me to make my set of Dougs presentable and bolt them on an engine thats on a stand for show and tell.

427John

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2020, 02:45:55 PM »
Many years ago I went to the FPA shop when it was over in Puyallup and talked to the guy who was named Stan maybe it was coincidence that they're both named Stan.This was back when they were just starting to sell headers their number of applications was still pretty limited mostly to truck and mustang as was most of the other stuff they had there then.I think it was like the early to mid 90's.

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2020, 07:33:34 PM »
Many years ago I went to the FPA shop when it was over in Puyallup and talked to the guy who was named Stan maybe it was coincidence that they're both named Stan.This was back when they were just starting to sell headers their number of applications was still pretty limited mostly to truck and mustang as was most of the other stuff they had there then.I think it was like the early to mid 90's.

Ah, that makes sense. Those are different Stan's! Stan Fuller is the header guy. Not sure he's even involved in the company anymore, I think he started the company at 62, at any rate I haven't seen him around the place for a few years.

427John

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2020, 10:04:10 PM »
That's funny because there was another Stan in the Fife area that everybody called Stan the Ford Man he had a ton of Galaxies and Galaxie parts maybe thats the same guy.

Tommy-T

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2020, 07:59:06 PM »
Got my Comet back the Pipeman for headers.
Some picks.

427John

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2020, 08:51:24 PM »
Just a comment on the original post,I personally have found the pictures very helpful and I think most people would agree that this definitely was not a dumb idea.

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2021, 08:08:05 PM »
I think this post is a great idea and can be really informative.  Figured I would add a couple pictures to help keep it going. I got these Kustom brand headers years ago from the a member on the 428Cobrajet forum and they have been sitting on a shelf for a while. I was told they don't interfere with the clutch linkage on 69-70 CJ Mustangs.  I still plan to use them some day,  so we shall see.
"That guy has got a pocket full of money and a watch full of time!"   Hubert Platt.

yellercat

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2021, 10:01:12 AM »
OK, will put my line in the water here.....

1969 F-250 (Camper Special) 2WD, 390, and a C-6 auto

Installed a cheapo set of Jeg's headers (#30075) for the breakin' period  ;) and all was fine till the driver side exit which interferes with the transmission linkage in a big way. Like from 'drive thru 2 and 1 gears'.  Probably 3/4 " or better by the time its altered. Not sure I want to dent them this much; plus the exit does not line up with the flowmaster exhaust system tailored to the auxillary gas tank, so there's that too.
Here's the thing. There is plenty of room to the 'outside' of the car there for a different exit point for the headers. Question is, does anyone have similar experience or a better 'cheapo' break in header fit. Looking at the Flowtech # 12542  and it looks to be a possibility.....
On a good note, there was no other interference issues whatsoever. I do not have power steering, which seems to be one of the common issues with this model. Will try to get an underneath pic to illustrate.

Brad
52' F-1
69' Camper Special
70' F-100
88' F-150

482supersnake

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2021, 10:55:44 AM »
I think this post is a great idea and can be really informative.  Figured I would add a couple pictures to help keep it going. I got these Kustom brand headers years ago from the a member on the 428Cobrajet forum and they have been sitting on a shelf for a while. I was told they don't interfere with the clutch linkage on 69-70 CJ Mustangs.  I still plan to use them some day,  so we shall see.

Those are a Headman header. I had those on my 66 Cyclone GT. No problem with the clutch linkage.