Author Topic: '26 T at AutoRama Houston  (Read 6198 times)

Dumpling

• View Profile
Re: '26 T at AutoRama Houston
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2018, 10:13:05 AM »
Why not just cut a block in half, use one head, and have an I-4 Hemi SOHC?  Better fit and possibly cooler.  Lot of effort, but I just don't like it.  Just me.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2018, 11:12:50 AM »
Why not just cut a block in half, use one head, and have an I-4 Hemi SOHC?  Better fit and possibly cooler.  Lot of effort, but I just don't like it.  Just me.

Then he could as well use a Mercedes M102 Engine where the head is
a close copy of a S.O.H.C head

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

HvyFt4spd

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2018, 12:14:44 PM »
 Some cars have a certain look to them that works while they may not be the best build. Others are feats of engineering that as a whole may not. Accomplishing both is more difficult than many realize but then we come to personal taste. I'd be hard pressed not to turn a Sohc T build into a blown Gasser but that's not exactly original or a challenge.

Being able to appreciate a car you may not favor takes a degree of discipline. I look at the time it would take me to hammer out the same pieces to the same level and the buckets of cash to have the large billet pieces made. Look at the "Grandmaster," the car doesn't flow very well at all but it fits together like it's a lazer cut jigsaw puzzle. I don't like it or that cartoon Streetrod style of build but that level of work deserves the recognition it received. Many others I can't say the same for but I try to focus on the effort and skill put in vs what I like. With this T I'm kinda digging the 70's showcar vibe mostly as it's something a little different.

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2018, 12:17:59 PM »
Factory manifolds don't route the tubes anything like those. Not modified 426 Hemi ones either.

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2018, 01:28:51 PM »
You're right Tom.  I have a set of drawings of the SOHC manifolds and they are indeed different.  Somebody spent big bucks to have custom castings made.  Unless they're coated, the color also shows more of a high nickel stainless look, like factory 460 (7.5L) truck manifolds.
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2018, 01:44:23 PM »

Then he could as well use a Mercedes M102 Engine where the head is
a close copy of a S.O.H.C head

But a it wouldn't be a Ford engine :-)

He said he wanted to put the biggest engine in the smallest bay, why not the largest I-4 in place of the smallest? I-4???

That lower header placed UNDER the engine seems like it would quickly bake everything above it, and around it, as it looks to be placed in a heat-trapping space with nowhere for the heat to go.

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2018, 01:45:39 PM »
Heo, here are a couple more photos of the front suspension.  Lightened I-beam axle with all the bells and whistles; coil-overs, disk brakes, rack and pinion, and anti-roll bar.
AutoRama_T_5.jpeg by BRUCE SELBY, on Flickr
AutoRama_T_6.jpeg by BRUCE SELBY, on Flickr
AutoRama_T_7.jpeg by BRUCE SELBY, on Flickr

As for the those exhaust "manifolds" the owner's son told me they were fabricated to look like they are cast, complete with the ceramic coating.

Bruce 
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2018, 02:46:31 PM »
looks like there is some fourbar/ wishbone rods mounted at the s-curve of the axle
what i dont get is, on the left spindle there is a stearing arm at top of the spindle .
With what apears to be a stering rod that goes to a stearing box at the firewall somewhere
like a regular stearing
But then he have a rack-n-pinion stearing mounted on the axle ???
I like the "face" of the model-T with the stock shell and stock headlights

To nit-pic he dont have the Ford "smile" on the I-beam axle, but on the other hand
Ford dont had the smile before Model-A. And i should not had put lightening holes
outside the springs with that heavy engine

Do you have any pics of the rear suspension? Looks like it is a IRS based on a Quick change
with a Model A spring

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2018, 03:00:37 PM »
Heo, if you look really close, I don't think that's an actual rack and pinion steering, but rather just a drag link to tie the two sides together. I don't see a "rack" in the center.

Despite the just plain weird mounting of the engine, I really like the car, and the craftsmanship. The engine mounting just seems stupid. I like the '70s vibes of T and A buckets, even the one from Sweden.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2018, 06:33:25 PM »
O.K. They are custom then! I was looking for my old photos (on my last cell, now long gone) from my Garlit's trip as the only ones I ever saw......so I guess I'll save any efforts. Amazing he'd go for making new 'look-alike' cast manifolds and not SS headers.

Heo, here are a couple more photos of the front suspension.  Lightened I-beam axle with all the bells and whistles; coil-overs, disk brakes, rack and pinion, and anti-roll bar.
AutoRama_T_5.jpeg by BRUCE SELBY, on Flickr
AutoRama_T_6.jpeg by BRUCE SELBY, on Flickr
AutoRama_T_7.jpeg by BRUCE SELBY, on Flickr

As for the those exhaust "manifolds" the owner's son told me they were fabricated to look like they are cast, complete with the ceramic coating.

Bruce
Bob Maag

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2018, 07:05:40 PM »
Doug, you could be right on the steering. I just couldn't get close enough to trace everything. 
Heo, no other rear suspension shots other than the one I posted at the beginning. 

I agree on those exhaust manifolds, my preference would be to have a nice set of custom SS Tig-welded headers.  But what about the innovation factor? :)
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2018, 07:17:02 PM »
Heo, if you look really close, I don't think that's an actual rack and pinion steering, but rather just a drag link to tie the two sides together. I don't see a "rack" in the center.

Despite the just plain weird mounting of the engine, I really like the car, and the craftsmanship. The engine mounting just seems stupid. I like the '70s vibes of T and A buckets, even the one from Sweden.
Something strange is going on with the stearing for sure. Maby that rubber accordeon is
a stearing damper or something like that. On the photo of the driverside there is something
that looks like the end of a shock
Yes i like it to but had rather had the valvecovers sticking out of the hood sides, why hide a S.O.H.C put an
axle with a smile on it, buggy spring, and shorten the apron under the radiator... done
Then try to avoid to blow the harshcloth from the roof ;D
Must send pics of it to Ollie for some inspiration for the centerdoor ;D ;D

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2018, 07:23:35 PM »
Doug, you could be right on the steering. I just couldn't get close enough to trace everything. 
Heo, no other rear suspension shots other than the one I posted at the beginning. 

I agree on those exhaust manifolds, my preference would be to have a nice set of custom SS Tig-welded headers.  But what about the innovation factor? :)
yeaah... how many stainless headers is there out  there compared to those manifolds. Ebay is full
of cheap Chinese SS headers so they dont hit the point anymore ;)

I tried to google this car but no luck....ohhh how i want an hour to crawl around this car

C8OZ

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2018, 08:35:27 PM »

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2018, 12:01:12 AM »
Yess now i dont have to try to solve the mystery ;D It have rack and pinion stearing
but the rack is mounted alongside the frame under the cowl where you normaly have
the stearing box
The rubber accordeon is just an advanced 3 piece draglink to clear the crank
it got a perimeter frame under the splash aprons thats much wider than a regular frame.
The body and fenders is rearanged much and from the beltline down and the cowl it is sheetmetal
from a tudor. He managed to modifie the body  without getting the proportions wrong, thats not easy
Many have tried to change Henrys design but few have came out better