Author Topic: Custom SOHC Oil Pan  (Read 6458 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Custom SOHC Oil Pan
« on: May 05, 2011, 10:57:58 PM »
The pictures below are of an oil pan that Mario428 put together for me.  The pan on the engine in my Galaxie (also put together by Mario) is a rear sump pan, and it won't fit into my new Mustang project.  For that car I need a front sump pan, but I wanted to maintain some of the design features of the rear sump pan, which worked out very well.  Swinging gates to keep the oil around the pickup, and a kickout to the passenger side of the engine to hold the oil that is scraped off the crank by the windage tray were a couple of the key features.  I took some basic measurements with the engine block mounted in the car, and sent them off to Mario.  He CAD designed a complete pan, and cut and bent all the aluminum pieces to put it together.  On the rear sump pan Mario sent me the parts and I welded it together, but in this case Mario offered the services of his aluminum welder, which I was only too happy to accept, because I'm not exactly ahead of schedule on the car.  The pan came yesterday, and it really looks good.

Notice that there are some holes in the bottom of the pan; this is for access to the oil pan bolts on the kickout side.  The same design was used on the rear sump pan; the holes are sealed by welding a flat aluminum plate with threaded holes over them, and O-ringed plugs are threaded in to seal.  Basically, this leaves me with seven different drain plugs in the bottom of the pan.  The alternative was to only use a few of the passenger side oil pan rail bolts, and maybe put one hole in the pan, in the center of the rail to use a center bolt to hold that side in place.  But I wanted the more reliable sealing of all the factory bolts, so Mario designed the pan like this.  I will have to cut a piece of aluminum, bore the holes and thread them, and then get the O-ringed plugs to screw in and seal the holes.  But that won't take more than an hour or so, so having this pan completed really saves me a lot of time.  Thanks Mario!

Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Mario428

Re: Custom SOHC Oil Pan
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 04:39:04 AM »
Thanks for the kind words Jay and I am glad I can help out.
I will show John (my welder) this post, he will be tickled that his work is on the internet.

A pic of the kit Jay got for the last pan, Jay says his welding is not good enough to show on the internet but he is too much of a perfectionist in my opinion. LOL

Take a look at these for plugging those holes  A -8 is 3/4 thread and will allow enough room for a socket and bolt, I will measure a 3/8 socket and a reduced head ARP bolt to see if it would fit in a -6 AN plug which is 9/16 thread.   http://www.swracecars.com/Files/CATpg54.pdf
They are made with the proper o-ring seat for an AN fitting.
UNfortunately your pan was in route when I came up with a great way to put a drain plug in my pan or I would have done 2
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 04:46:14 AM by Mario428 »

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 02:27:10 PM »
Hi Jay---

Have you given any thought to the use of a dry sump?

KS

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 06:42:33 PM »
Have you given any thought to milling windows between each main web and wrapping the pan around the side of the block so that the kickout is effective as it is on a non Y block application?

Probably should not have mentioned that one...... ;)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 08:51:15 PM »
Have you given any thought to milling windows between each main web and wrapping the pan around the side of the block so that the kickout is effective as it is on a non Y block application?

LOL!  I know, I know, but I think the kickout still works even with the extended FE skirt.  Not as good as on one of those "other" engines, of course, but I like my crossbolts and don't want to cut holes in my nice Shelby block...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Mario428

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 07:53:49 AM »

I have thought of that but it is pretty drastic of a bracket motor.
Have you thought about how big you would make the windows. At the centerline would be obvious and attach something to put a scraper on so scraper can be adjusted well before the pan goes on.
A separate part of the pan I would think or the pan would be a nightmare to install.
Didn't Wayne County do this kind of thing when they were running the (nitrous LOL) B1 stuff

427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 02:43:12 PM »
Hey Mario,
 Do you fabricate your trap door hinges or do you buy them?
I am fabbing a pan and I like the design of your trap doors.
Thanks
Duane

Mario428

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 02:56:03 PM »
Hey Mario,
 Do you fabricate your trap door hinges or do you buy them?
I am fabbing a pan and I like the design of your trap doors.
Thanks
Duane

I use hinge stock, we have lots here but available at any hardware store.
If the hinge is tight I pull the pin out and use 1/16 welding rod for a pin so the hinge sits down well.
The ones on Jays pan were tight so they got the 1/16 pin.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 03:00:34 PM by Mario428 »

427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 07:22:41 PM »
Thanks Mario!!!!