Author Topic: Loose Rod Bolts  (Read 4486 times)

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: Loose Rod Bolts
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2018, 12:20:22 AM »
To add to my last post.....
...or you could just ignore all the advice, draw them up with the nuts, throw them together and hope for the best ::) :-X
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2018, 06:42:04 AM »
I've always pressed them in, then torqued or stretched (depending on if a stock or aftermarket bolt) with the caps on in a rod vise or at least softjaws. Back off, re-torque/stretch and check the big ends again.

If I changed the rod bolts after machining I ALWAYS check them again before install. Some times they're ok, many times they aren't. And on a stock-ish engine even if they aren't ok they might be good enough to live, but I always figured it wasn't worth risking the engine for a half hour worth of work measuring them.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2018, 08:11:07 AM »
Forgive me for being blunt and crass.......

But I'm not sure why you ask for help when you head 180° from any advice given. 

*Rod bolts need to be pressed in and the rods need to be resized.  Anything that is off .001" is not good enough.

*Don't add head gasket thickness to correct a compression ratio issue. 

*Don't use Cometics on a block/head that don't have the proper surface finish. 

A correctly chosen camshaft would have given you the powerband you wanted and can be chosen to work with a higher compression ratio.  Buying a random camshaft, then retarding it to crutch compression ratio issues can quickly get you an engine that's not in the least bit optimal.

You may quickly end up with an engine that leaks from the head gaskets, has detonation issues because of high compression/large quench, and wears bearings because rod bores are out of round. 

We are trying to help steer you in the correct direction.

BTW, from your other thread, the keyways on a crankshaft gear have their own corresponding dots on the crank gear. 

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

440sixpack

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2018, 10:50:59 AM »

I never did get a good explanation of what to expect from the cam I was interested in so I decided to go with it.  had I known it was that easy to get a custom one I wouldn't have ordered it. at this point I'm about over it but if I'm going to have to wait for a month to check my rods if you think it's possible to get a cam in something close to that time frame I'd be very interested in  having you order me one.

The rods I will probably have checked though I doubt it's necessary.   my situation isn't like everyone's,  there is one machine shop within 150 miles of me and they pick up and deliver every 2-3 weeks.  meaning checking my rods will be a 2-6week adventure.  shipping would be a PITA since I'm not set up to press the pistons off or on.   I'd like to get this project out of my way I have other things I want to get on.  being overly cautious is inconvenient in this next of the woods.       but if I must I must,  I get it and thank you.   

If the Cometics are a bad idea then I won't.  advice taken.

I did not see the other dots on the cam gear I will look again.  that makes sense.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2018, 11:20:19 AM »
Do you have pressed pistonpins? i thought all FE had
floating pistonpins

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

440sixpack

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2018, 11:57:17 AM »
They do.  but you have to press the pin out of the rod.   don't you ?  now I have to look.

Brent,  I sent an email to your website about the custom cam.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 12:10:13 PM by 440sixpack »

440sixpack

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2018, 12:56:52 PM »
You're right.   I'm going to stamp them pull them apart and ship them off today.

440sixpack

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2018, 05:15:31 PM »
Interesting follow up on the rods.  the big ends all checked out fine but the small ends could use new bushings.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2018, 09:43:08 PM »
Good thing you had them checked. 
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch