Author Topic: Latham blower for FE  (Read 1620 times)

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
Latham blower for FE
« on: December 21, 2018, 07:23:06 PM »
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 07:26:16 PM by Hemi Joel »

cammerfe

• View Profile
Re: Latham blower for FE
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 08:34:02 PM »
I'd suppose they're worth whatever one could get. In comparison, about a zillion years ago, (early '60's) I paid $200 for a Paxton for my 312 CID/'54 Customline. And it was a much improved model over the one also listed close by the ad you referenced, which was for sale for 5K+.

That's been long-enough-ago that a dollar then is worth about 12 cents now, but you get the idea. The Latham has very tight clearances and is geared way up in order for the design to make boost. And they were designed for engines of 300 inches or less. I wouldn't expect to be able to get much more than 6-8 pounds while feeding 400 inches or more. Parts would likely be hard to find and they require side-draft carbs which are likely to be fairly spendy. They do make a very awesome whistle while in boost. I knew a guy who had a Latham on a 312/'56 Ford. He had four one-barrel side draft carbs and one downdraft 2-barrel on it. A street machine, it was capable of driving to the strip and running twelves. This was about 1960.

KS

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 09:25:57 PM »
Dirt cheap sidedraft carbs would be Brittish SU Carbs
Volvo, Range Rover V8, Jaguar, They should be plentyful
even in USA.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SU_Carburettor
Or why not using throtlebodys and FI

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

FERoadster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 11:16:38 PM »
I maintain a Latham registry on HAMB and have over 100 documented.  My FE setup is my second (the first was a Y-Block 2 carb version) Traded that plus an early Frankland 40 Ford QC conversion for a NOS 4 carb 10 stage setup in approx. 1980. I've also got a NOS non drilled FE Latham Intake manifold. Latham's had 4 Carter YH sidedraft carbs (I've got 12 of them) so by increasing the plenum length you can increase the CFM thru the carbs. Pictures attached. Latham also produced a 4  and 6 carb downdraft manifold setup with a 5th injection carb between the 2 plenums. 
The Axialflow supercharger is basically a turbine that pulls a gas/air mixture in the front and atomizes and pressures it to 7.5 Psig at full RPM 715 CFM at that pressure.  The supercharger is 5X engine RPM and achieves max boost at 30,000 turbine speed (5 to one pulley size from the crank).

$13K is ridiculous unless someone really wants one. Then there are the pictures of his with the Latham intake Realistically $6000 would be at the top. Serial numbers of "Production versions" started at 1000, 650 were produced between 1958 and 1965.

Richard
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 11:18:37 PM by FERoadster »