Author Topic: Tunnel Port Intake Gasket/Head Gasket  (Read 4159 times)

MExpress

• View Profile
Tunnel Port Intake Gasket/Head Gasket
« on: November 14, 2018, 04:07:21 PM »
Hello all,
First time posting on the forum but I've been gleening a lot of useful information for awhile now.
I've recently purchased an old drag/street racer from the 70's complete with 427 side-oiler and tunnel port heads.
The heads have the original sodium filled valves, so I decided to remove the engine and pull the heads. I need to change those valves and have the heads R&R'd.
My question is what other intake gaskets are available for the tunnel port heads?
The only ones I see are the Mr. Gasket205G's.
Also I'm leaning toward the Fel pro 1020's for head gaskets. The one's I removed are metal not copper.
This engine also has 14:1 compression with double domed pistons.
What would you guys recommend?
Thanks!!

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: Tunnel Port Intake Gasket/Head Gasket
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 04:12:06 PM »
I love the Mr. Gasket gaskets for the TP's. 

Are the deck surfaces smooth enough for Cometics?  I'd rather see those for high compression engines.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

MExpress

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 04:23:54 PM »
Thank you for the reply.
O.k will go with the MG 205's for the intake.
Not sure about deck surface. It appears very clean and the gaskets I removed looked good with no leaking.
Should I measure the thickness of the existing head gasket and then possibly look at the Cometic's to see what will work?

mike7570

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 04:26:34 PM »
I might have a set of new intakes left over from when I had my tunnel port.  (I'll check)
you can have them for postage.

MExpress

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 04:44:05 PM »
Wow! You guys are awesome.
Thank you Mike

mike7570

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 12:17:05 PM »
MExpress, I looked around my garage where I thought I had the intake gaskets and I could only find one gasket. Now I'm perplexed, why would I have only one?
I could understand one head or exhaust gasket but what good is one intake!
I was planning on doing some work in the garage next week and will keep looking.
I think this one came from the old Ford Power Parts in the late 80's or early 90's. I may have it to use as a template to cut my own from gasket material. (It's .125 thick) 

MExpress

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 12:43:44 PM »
Thanks for checking Mike.
No worries. If you come across the other one let me know.

MExpress

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 12:49:04 PM »
Question for Brent. I was looking at the Cometic MLS Head Gaskets C5840-027. This has a compressed thickness .027 which is very close to the steel shim gasket(.020) that was installed.
Since I'm not sending the block out, what deck prep could I do to use the Cometics?

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 01:06:33 PM »
https://www.cometic.com/i-24769473-ford-fe-big-block-352-428ci-v8-027-mls-cylinder-head-gasket-4-250-gasket-bore-each.html

These would help you maintain more of your compression. Still be down about .2 over what it is now, probably not an issue at all. I assumed what are installed are Mr. Gasket .020" thick by 4.42" bore diameter gaskets.

For those MLS gaskets, cometic asks for a surface finish of 50RA or finer. I just made sure that the local machine shop knew this constraint when machining my 390 block. Will be interesting to see a suggested solution to this without machining/decking.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

MExpress

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 01:21:49 PM »
Not sure on the make of the steel shim head gasket. Maybe a ford high perf. gasket from back in the day because the engine was built in the mid-late 70's.
Might just reassemble with steel shim gaskets.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2018, 02:42:11 PM »
Just finished up a tooling project to make intake gaskets for my heads - now in stock.

Is there any interest in doing a tunnel port or high riser part out of a more modern material?

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2018, 02:46:49 PM »
Question for Brent. I was looking at the Cometic MLS Head Gaskets C5840-027. This has a compressed thickness .027 which is very close to the steel shim gasket(.020) that was installed.
Since I'm not sending the block out, what deck prep could I do to use the Cometics?

I doubt that there's anything you can do by yourself.  It's generally a machining process and even some of the older broach mill surfacers struggle with making the finish correct. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2018, 03:27:15 PM »
Just finished up a tooling project to make intake gaskets for my heads - now in stock.

Is there any interest in doing a tunnel port or high riser part out of a more modern material?

I have a tunnel port 427 slowly going together, I was just going to use the Mr. Gasket part, but I'd be interested in a set if you have them made. No idea yet though what kind of thickness will work best.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2018, 04:07:23 PM »
Barry, Hi Riser intake gaskets would be useful. Perhaps a filled floor version with a serrated edge knockout piece to use for original height ports?

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2018, 08:02:51 PM »
Barry, I would be interested in a set of Tunnel port intake gaskets. Prepping a new TP for the 63 Hope to have it ready for Beaver Springs.

Leny Mason

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2018, 08:12:56 AM »

I doubt that there's anything you can do by yourself.  It's generally a machining process and even some of the older broach mill surfacers struggle with making the finish correct.

Leny Mason

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2018, 08:23:04 AM »

[/q
uote]
Barry what head gasket did you use on the blown Cammer you did, I bought copper gaskets with a thin seal around the water passages, they look kinda funky but maybe it will work. Thanks Leny Mason

MExpress

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2018, 12:09:27 PM »
Barry, I would be interested in the tunnel port gaskets if you decide to make them.
I will be visiting you soon with those tunnel port heads. I'm a friend of Nick Zuk and I purchased the Midnight Express from him.
Trying to resurrect it after all these years :)
Dave

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2018, 07:54:59 PM »
Ahh so you are the guy. I love that car. Was hoping it went to a good home and we will see it again before another 35 year hibernation!
Congrats on the cool purchase.

MExpress

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2018, 09:43:35 AM »
Yes , Nick is a good friend and I plan to keep it as original as possible.
With luck I'll have it ready for next summer.
Thanks