Author Topic: Like solving riddles? Coolant in multiple cylinders (loooong)  (Read 5286 times)

Pentroof

• View Profile
Re: Like solving riddles? Coolant in multiple cylinders (loooong)
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2018, 08:32:36 PM »
Wow - From your picture though I don't think the nut dropping into the engine is the whole story.  The cylinder wall must have been super thin to break like that!  There's no damage to the wall in that area, or evidence of the nut jamming itself against it.

There is evidence of the nut jamming hard on the opposite side of the piston crown.  Maybe that rocked the piston over enough to crack the wall (?)  Very unusual though.  You would expect a decent cast iron cylinder wall to take much more of a beating.

JMO, of course!

I've seen a wall crack like this in a similar situation. You are correct, that the unfortunate part is the nut got caught on the high side, where the chamber allows little in the way of solid mass. Here is a shot of the cylinder head. I'll clean it up and get it checked for cracks.

Jim

C6AE

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2018, 11:31:30 AM »
Check for a bent rod...

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2018, 11:52:40 AM »
I've been down this road. Mine was a screw. It pounds the top of the piston down making all of the ring grooves and landings tight thus mushrooming the piston top just slightly bigger. Mine was a SBC standard bore, but was just enough to crack the wall & introduce coolant into it. Sucks. My screw came out of the bottom of my quadrajet. Lock-tight is your friend.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2018, 12:10:57 PM »
I am very sad to hear this. Almost makes me want to put a screen in under my carb - I wonder how much it would affect performance.

I've seen damage from a small metal part in a cylinder but it never occurred to me that something small enough to pass through the valve would be big enough to cause catastrophic block failure.
1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2018, 10:10:26 AM »
Wow, sorry to see that.  However - with the head still usable, it could be a lot worse.  That cylinder can be sleeved and the piston replaced, rod also if required. 

An old 351C of mine that ate a valve head

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2018, 11:09:36 AM »
I've been down this road. Mine was a screw. It pounds the top of the piston down making all of the ring grooves and landings tight thus mushrooming the piston top just slightly bigger. Mine was a SBC standard bore, but was just enough to crack the wall & introduce coolant into it. Sucks. My screw came out of the bottom of my quadrajet. Lock-tight is your friend.
Dropped an intake valve on a pass at the track once (not enough guide clearance, when I started leaning on the tuneup, it got hot and the valve hung open. Looking at the incrementals, it was on what would have been it's best ever pass when it happened) the debris went through the next four cylinders in the firing order, and the top of the piston in the first hole was so mushroomed, I had to drive it out with a hammer. The motor locked up and stopped turning, it was pretty close to the top of second gear, so it was probably turning about 6500 rpm when it broke, the motor coughed when the valve dropped, then caught for a second, then stopped turning. FWIW, also a dual plane intake.
Two cylinder walls were cracked, and there was water running out of the collectors when it towed into the pits. One head was destroyed (iron heads) the point of the story is yes, a piston can be swelled enough by beating on something like that to crack the bore. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

EDIT: sorry, my memory is not WHAT it used to be, I thought about this, one bore was cracked, the other had a deep gouge on the major thrust side. I had to sleeve two holes, that's what threw off my recollection.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 04:32:22 PM by falcongeorge »

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2018, 09:24:09 AM »
FYI - the above "wreck" occurred at cruse, about 3200 RPM.  Nothing special going on and BOOM, happy fun time is over. 

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2018, 01:29:29 PM »
FYI - the above "wreck" occurred at cruse, about 3200 RPM.  Nothing special going on and BOOM, happy fun time is over. 

Oh yea, shit like that^^ will spoil the "happy fun times" in a hurry... ;D ;)

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2018, 03:22:30 PM »
piston/rod 2nd from left is now the business card holder on my desk.   8)

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2018, 02:48:13 PM »
i let a 390 sit for about 8 years one time.i got it running and went for a ride.a screw loosened up on the carb bottom and ended up in no 7 cyl.it beat the piston up and cracked the wall.i did the same as you,i looked under the car and coolant was running out of the header pipe.i wanted to guess this as your problem the day you posted it,but my computer was so slow that day i didn't want to wait on it.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 05:37:05 PM by fryedaddy »
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new