Author Topic: How's the best way to cut a hole in a steel hood...  (Read 4402 times)

machoneman

• View Profile
Re: How's the best way to cut a hole in a steel hood...
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2018, 04:19:18 PM »
Yea, I forgot that episode of Jay's Journey with the black '64 Galaxie! His cuts were far more complex than my desire to simply cut a round hole. As usual, the job was well done!

Jay shows us how it's done, in a trailer, the night before Drag Week check in...

https://youtu.be/6F15sxPM1UA?t=3m45s
Bob Maag

babybolt

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2018, 12:42:39 PM »
Another option is to get a fiberglass hood.  They make them with a hood scoop already molded in.

A stock flat original hood that has not been hit on the front, or bent at the hinges, or drilled for a hood scoop, or cut out for a hood scoop, is getting difficult to find.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2018, 04:54:40 PM »
Yes, I have thought of a 'glass hood but one of the biggest issues is shipping to a residential address. Most vendors won't due the large crate size, darn it!

Another option is to get a fiberglass hood.  They make them with a hood scoop already molded in.

A stock flat original hood that has not been hit on the front, or bent at the hinges, or drilled for a hood scoop, or cut out for a hood scoop, is getting difficult to find.
Bob Maag

JERICOGTX

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2018, 06:22:11 AM »
Yes, I have thought of a 'glass hood but one of the biggest issues is shipping to a residential address. Most vendors won't due the large crate size, darn it!

Have it shipped to your local Fastenal store. People have that done all the time.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2018, 08:20:23 AM »
THX! Good idea.

Have it shipped to your local Fastenal store. People have that done all the time.
[/quote]
Bob Maag

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2018, 09:26:10 AM »

??  I have never had that problem.  I've had a milling machine delivered to the house, along with several large fiberglass objects.  When I built the shop, CloyPay delivered the 16' overhead door to the house.  And we live on a cul-de-sac, so that driver can back up like Mater.

I would buy the scoop separately from the hood.  You then have control over placement of the cut and the position of the scoop.  AND - fiberglass is easy to modify and repair.  The Falcon has a 'glass hood and it's had a L88 stype scoop and teardrop with 16" hole underneath, and currently sports a rectangular hole for a tunnel ram.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 09:29:43 AM by Falcon67 »

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2018, 09:57:09 AM »
Well, I may then give a hood delivery a shot! Some sites state no delivery without a dock but it's still worth a try as heck, weight is not an issue coming off a truck as it's not like a short block! THX!
Bob Maag