Author Topic: Passing Along A Snap-On Story That May Be Effecting Your Local Dealer  (Read 4378 times)

rcodecj

• View Profile
Re: Passing Along A Snap-On Story That May Be Effecting Your Local Dealer
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2018, 07:11:28 PM »
I don't have much Snapon stuff but I think their line wrenches are nice. They grip better than Sears.

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2018, 08:54:42 PM »
I have about 55% craftsman, 50% snap-on, The balance is MAC, and a no-name Chinese open end wrench set that I can't even remember how I got. My favorite ratchetis a MAC, it has a lever for switching direction, and a button for socket release, so its easy to use when your hands are all greasy, and the clicks are very tight. Almost all my stuff is 30+ years old. The shitty no-name Chinese wrench set is actually really good, thinner around the box ends than the craftsman, I managed to break the open end of the 9/16, but I had a pipe slipped over the end and was REALLY leaning on it ( I use the Chinese wrenches for really grubby dis-assembly jobs because I don't give a shit about them) as a rule, I prefer the snap-on to the craftsman, they are made out of better stuff that the craftsman, and are thinner, for more clearance. It isn't much, but sometimes that few ten thousands of thickness makes all the difference.
My torque wrenches are fifties era snap-on dial type that I inherited from my father, they have been re-calibrated a few times, and are fantastic. I also have a couple ( one 3/8, one 1/2) old Sturevant beam and pointer style I use for engine assembly. I dont/won't own a click type torque wrench.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 08:59:13 PM by falcongeorge »

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2018, 10:28:37 PM »
I have been using my tools to make a living for about 40 years, been a dealership mechan... oooops, I meant "Technician" for the past 30 years. Probably 70% of my hand tools and Snap On, 20% Mac, and a bit of Canadian Tire "Mastercraft Maximum", which I believe is made by Gearworks. My upper & lower tool chests at work are cheap Beach 12 drawer apiece units that I bought new in the early 80s. I could just never justify a tool box that costs what a new car does! Like some others, our Snap On dealer rarely comes around our dealership, but our MAC dealer comes by every 2 weeks. The Snap On guy says we don`t buy much, and always complains that we always seem to  have tools for warranty, but if we need something, and the MAC shows up on a schedule, and the Snap On guy shows up maybe 2 or 3 times a years, does he really think we should wait for him to show up, rather than use the reliable Mac guy?. It certainly seems that the Snap On dealer in this story was looking after his customers, and got the shaft from management.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2018, 02:03:45 PM »
I really like the little bit of MAC stuff I have, and if I was in a position where I had to replace a lot of stuff, that's probably the way I would go. I am lucky to have all the old snap-on, it's very nice stuff, but I don't think I would go out and buy it all new.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 05:42:06 PM by falcongeorge »

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2018, 11:25:10 AM »
  Snap on , Mac , Cornwell et al DO seem to fail less often , I will give them that. But the high price is often hard to justify and if you don't have a dealer to work with ( you can't just stop a truck) you're stuck.  My local automotive swap meet has several tool vendors and appear overloaded with tools as I see very low prices on the "big three" tools.
     Randy