Author Topic: Public Thank You for Drew  (Read 2372 times)

hvywrench

• View Profile
Public Thank You for Drew
« on: October 12, 2018, 08:03:59 PM »
I'm guessing that if I send Drew another "Thank You" email he will either block me or send Louie Armbuster to smash my keyboard.
Thanks to Drew's work on my carbs I have enjoyed driving my car more than I can remember in a very, very long time.
I'm putting it away for the winter tomorrow and took it for a good drive tonight. I think I've put on over 800 miles this summer and it has run perfectly every time I've taken it out.
It probably gave him fits that he couldn't restore them to his usual standards but he did just the right amount of restoration so that they match the rest of the car.
The engine finally feels 'right' and if I could revist the video I would probably not make the "turbo Subaru" comment.

Your Aunt Edna beats her Volare station wagon harder than I beat my car but it runs amazing from idle until I get scared and back off.
I don't know how many times I messed with those carbs, rekitting them and using the Ford TSB for dual quads to try and get them to work correctly. Could never get them set up where I was happy.
When I got them back from Drew it took just a tiny float adjustment and the car has been trouble-free all summer; will idle as long as I need it to, returns to the same idle speed
every time, hot or cold, and will pull like Jack the Bear when I let it breathe.
It starts on half a turn hot or cold, doesn't ever diesel when I shut it off, and won't water your eyes at idle.
Very happy with how it all worked out, can highly recommend Drew's work to anyone struggling with carb issues.

And Thanks to Steve D for the correct hubcaps! They have the correct look for the car. Every conversation I've had with strangers when I'm out and about has been positive and enjoyable.
(That's a welcome change)
Bill

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: Public Thank You for Drew
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 10:56:54 PM »
Glad to hear he did a good job for you and made the car more enjoyable. I still watch that video on a regular basis, and I never get tired of it. Even my Dad likes it, and he doesn't care for 'performance' cars at all.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 10:29:22 AM »
I feel like I’ve heard this a few times with bj/bk carbs. (And other 2x4 setups)
I honestly am not doing anything special, just blueprinting them.
Either way, happy this summer cruising went well. These cars are not much fun unless you are driving them.

Well good luck in the future with the car, your 64 and the video has inspired many of us.

Oh and not restoring them doesn’t bother me... if anything not recalibration them annoys me more
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 10:31:38 AM by Drew Pojedinec »

hvywrench

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 06:25:29 PM »
Even if there was no black magic involved I'm happy to have the driveability back.
Next step, I suppose, is to put some effort into the front suspension so it isn't so soggy.
It rides really smoothly, but the handling is a bit less than 'crisp'.
A while back you were thinking of making some of those offset shaft replacements to sell....has that idea been shelved so you could focus on carbs?
I would buy a set....just sayin'...

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 07:47:17 PM »
yeah, i need to whip some of those up.....
I'm supposed to work equal time here on the boat.  Meaning 28 days on, 28 off with another engineer.  We share the boat so to speak.
In the last 12 months, I've worked roughly 8.5 of them.  I've got full ownership of the boat, which is kinda difficult and has kept me busy.  More so because the engineers that have filled in really don't care about the boat, nor managing it as they realize they are just fill ins, and not here to stay.
In those 12 months, I've turned out over 115 carburetors (rebuilt or restored.  I only document the restorations on my facebook page), roughly one a day for everyday I've been home.
I'm about to head home Thursday where roughly 40 carbs await :P

So I guess I just haven't made the time to really get around to making them.

If you are wanting to just tie them in place for the meantime, I've got the old Moog setup on my car, and it works sufficiently.  I think two bolts, and some heavy tubing could do the trick pretty easily.  I'll put up some pictures.