Author Topic: valve guide question  (Read 1415 times)

GJCAT427

• View Profile
valve guide question
« on: October 11, 2018, 06:36:08 PM »
In building this new tunnel port project, I`m wanting opinions on using bronze guides in this thing. This is going to be a .600 lift OEM cam and matched valve springs. I used bronze in my 400 shop truck motor many yrs ago with out incident and wondered how you guys address the top end.  Usage is street and strip   

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
Re: valve guide question
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 12:52:06 PM »
If you run aftermarket stainless, you have to use phosphor-bronze as far as I know.  I have only run stock cast iron guides with stock composition valves.  Anything else get's new bronze stuff with Viton seals. 

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: valve guide question
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 06:07:54 PM »
You can run new valves with any guide.  Cast iron guides and stainless valves need chromed stems.

However, it will be a benefit to you to switch to a bronze guide for a couple different reasons....

1.  The new guides will be already sized correctly for a modern valve seal.
2.  You can have your machinist cut the step off the heads so that you can use a modern valve spring locator that will locate off the valve guide boss.
3.  You can switch to an 11/32" valve stem at the same time.

If the factory guides are worn, you're either gonna need liners or replace the guides. 

If they're not worn, then I would at least have the guides and spring seats cut so you can run a nice Viton valve seal and a positive spring locator/cup.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 06:18:56 PM by blykins »
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports