Author Topic: Msd  (Read 9975 times)

FElony

Re: Msd
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2018, 09:42:02 PM »

besides, I am a bastard.  ;D  :-[

Fixed that for you.
Goddammit Felony, how many times do I have to tell you!!! I am a douchebag, NOT a bastard!  ::)
[/quote]

You are both until you learn to properly quote, and spell my name correctly.

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2018, 10:04:13 PM »

besides, I am a bastard.  ;D  :-[

Fixed that for you.
Goddammit Felony, how many times do I have to tell you!!! I am a douchebag, NOT a bastard!  ::)

You are both until you learn to properly quote, and spell my name correctly.
[/quote]
Well, and after I looked at it, I realized I was the one that said I was a bastard, so I had to change it. And clearly, I STILL haven't learned to quote properly.... ::) >:(
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 10:06:51 PM by falcongeorge »

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2018, 03:43:01 AM »
So dad called today and new pickup is here. Do you have to take the whole distributor apart
or can you just take upper plate off.

Service "in place", just takes a good touch and some swear words.   The original MSD pickup is normally glued into position with some sort of silicone or epoxy.  Probably for vibration resistance.  The little strain relief on the wiring pigtail can be a bit of a bugger...

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2018, 07:08:13 AM »
Like Barry said. I usually take a pair of needle nose pliers and squeeze the plastic strain relief, while pushing against it with a small screw driver to pop it out of the housing. Getting it back in isn't near as difficult. I also embed the pickup with some silicone, just like MSD does, and for the reasons Barry mentioned, vibration resistance and to add a little cushion/support when tightened down.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2018, 10:10:14 AM »
     I still have several sets of the original Ford "transistorized" points. These have a higher tension spring and a half size contact on the arm. Back in the day these were called "low inertia" points and recommended by Ford for high rpm usage.  I ran them over 7,000 without issue. I used a single in a dual point distributor ( like Ford did on their transistorized systems) to trigger an MSD 6AL and it was fine.
    Randy

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2018, 05:16:44 PM »
It took a wad of WS material at least 3/8-1/2 inch to fill in between the points arm and the diz body. I believe you'd play hob trying to do it with a wad of rubber band. There's all kinds of spongy stuff that might work.

KS

Valve cover gasket?

Probably too stiff. You need more than a car wash sponge but less than a piece of tire sidewall.

KS

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2018, 05:51:33 PM »
Put the pickup in today, no problems. Started right up I had fuel pressure at 6 I put it to 5-5.5 readjusted floats so they were perfectly in the middle. After it warmed up adjust mixture screws and seemed to idle fine. One weird thing which I dont think I
had originally while car was running good is when I give it gas and let off idle stays up light 200 rpm for about 5 seconds then it settles down. While the idle is up for that specific time I go around and make sure nothing is sticking on like throttles or secondaries and there not. Also the back carb the squirter gasket was leaking ever so slightly I would think thats because the float level was high but it isnt. I took it apart and reset it and seems to be good. I dont get it my car runs like a rapped ape one week and weird the next. Well seems like it is running half way decent we will see this weekend. One thing I did notice was the pickup metal stripe thats the reluctor hits protruded by like a 16th to an 1/8 and the one that I took out was indented. When I was dont the gap was 22 to 23 thousandths which is in spec but the original one was about 30 and that stripe was under the plasticby at least 20 thousanths. Weird man Im gonna kick this gremlins ass but in the meanwhile its ticking me off 

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2018, 06:20:46 PM »
     I still have several sets of the original Ford "transistorized" points. These have a higher tension spring and a half size contact on the arm. Back in the day these were called "low inertia" points and recommended by Ford for high rpm usage.  I ran them over 7,000 without issue. I used a single in a dual point distributor ( like Ford did on their transistorized systems) to trigger an MSD 6AL and it was fine.
    Randy
Very cool parts. Really hard to get now.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2018, 05:19:59 PM »
I'd be willing to bet that the idle issue is due to the advance weights sticking a little bit. I've had it happen to me before. The rubbing pads are replaceable, or you could try lightly lubricating them. I'd also check everything over carefully in the advance system to make sure there is no binding and that everything works very smoothly.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2018, 06:49:13 PM »
See drag section

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2018, 11:17:10 AM »
I have not tried a Ford pickup in an MSD unit, but do use an MSD unit in a Ford Duraspark base and it worked good.  I have not put a scope on one, but the indication from my Mallory 685 boxes is that the MSD has a much stronger signal than the stock Ford unit.  Also, I've had no failures of any MSD part - so may be lucky, or special.

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2018, 10:08:53 PM »
See how the magnet protrudes from the plastic, the one that I took out was recessed.