Author Topic: A "how much to sell it for" question on a strange combo  (Read 2348 times)

afret

A "how much to sell it for" question on a strange combo
« on: October 05, 2018, 10:50:55 AM »
Need to make room for a truck so need to get this car out of my garage.  '68 Torino 4 door bench seat original S code with no rust.  Was ordered new by my dad then my brother got it and turned it into a pro street car with ladder bars.  Has a mild 428 with Crower hydraulic flat tappet, C6, 10 inch converter, F427 intake.  I think it has an N case but I can't remember the gear ratio and it has either a 31 spline locker or a LSD. Hasn't been started since I had it moved here 4 years ago so the gas in the tank (I think it's a 20 gal fuel cell) has to be bad. 

The guy that towed the cars up here from CA did it in an interesting way.  LOL 

Kind of an unusual combo that probably isn't too popular so do you think it could sell for around $5K?  It's actually my nephew's car now but he has no interest in old cars and he could use the cash.

winr1

Re: A "how much to sell it for" question on a strange combo
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 11:42:27 AM »
Hey Afret

Does it have all the interior..... power steering ??

Did it have AC perhaps, looking for a car for my Daddy, he has a 70 LTD at the moment

Ricky.

FElony

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 12:08:04 PM »
Too bad you didn't post this before it left Cal. Coulda detoured through AZ.  :(

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 03:14:42 PM »
I`m not really a big fan of quad doors, but thats kinda cool, make for an unusual Super Stocker! Being a California car, I would imagine its pretty solid. I would think it has to be worth at least the 5 grand just in parts.
That towing arangment looks pretty sketchy, with all that weight hanging out over the end of the trailer, but I assume it made the trip to Idaho OK?
Is that your trailer? Any idea what a trailer like that would weigh? A rig like that would certainly make hauling 3 race cars from the West coast to Beaver Springs PA next year  a lot more feasible! I wonder if a guy could rent a trailer like that.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

FElony

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 04:33:46 PM »
I`m not really a big fan of quad doors, but thats kinda cool, make for an unusual Super Stocker! Being a California car, I would imagine its pretty solid. I would think it has to be worth at least the 5 grand just in parts.

I hope nobody buys it for parts. I've been looking for years for a Ford already made into a caged Pro Street car to run as a bracket car. Intermediate=bonus. Already FE'd=bonus. I guess we'll see what Ricky does.

I actually have the cousin car to this Torino, which I saved from the crusher about three years ago. It's a 1968 Montego MX Brougham 4-door. 302 car. Wood grain inside and out! Brocade pattern upholstery! Ultra super hyper rare! Worth something only to mentally unstable Mercury guys. I could not let it be killed.

afret

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 05:33:07 PM »
Not my trailer.  Yeah, the car hanging over the end was scary looking but he guy made it here fine.  I was planning to have the guy take my red Mustang too but there wasn't enough space so my niece's Civic got on there instead.  The red car had to make it up separately.  Cost me a few bucks to get all these cars up here.

I think the Torino has the Hooker race headers thatI had on the red car for awhile before going to the FPAs.  For some reason those race headers are really low on Mustangs but not too bad on Fairlanes/Torinos.

This is when I drove up there and met the cars when they arrived in ID.  My garage was completed then so I could store all the cars in there until I could make the final move up there.

I guess it sounds like a fair price then. 

afret

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 09:43:45 AM »
Hey Afret

Does it have all the interior..... power steering ??

Did it have AC perhaps, looking for a car for my Daddy, he has a 70 LTD at the moment

It did have power steering but we got rid of it back in the 70's for header clearance and converted it to manual. It's easy to steer with the skinny front tires.  The interior is actually in really nice shape since the seats used to have seat covers.  The original front bench seat is in there with a Winters floor shifter.  The rear seat is out of the car.  I don't know if the rear seat is in storage at my brother's place or if he left it in CA.

Ricky.

FElony

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2018, 09:52:00 AM »
Return PM sent.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2018, 09:04:54 AM »
Plus 1 on that looking sketchy! I can't believe those ramps held the weight for that trip. Not sure why anyone would pro-street a 4 dr, but agree with Rory that it should be worth the $5k just in parts. I know I would have given you $5k for that Fairlane, which would have made plenty of room for the red Mustang ;)
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2018, 10:28:58 AM »
Easier to weld a cage in a fourdoor Doug ;D

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

FElony

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2018, 03:24:32 PM »
Easier to weld a cage in a fourdoor Doug ;D

True, I guess. This car has an 8-point roll "bar" that should be good to 10 flat at NHRA tracks.

FElony

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2018, 03:54:43 PM »
...Not sure why anyone would pro-street a 4 dr, but agree with Rory that it should be worth the $5k just in parts.

Well, I would say that yes, probably nearly every "Pro Street" endeavor has been to create a flashy show car, not so much an actual race car. Taking a closer look at this Torino, I don't think it comes under the heading of "Pro Street", especially compared to others that were built at the time. I see a family effort to build a fun street/strip car that hooks. The diff housing sits on factory leaf springs with the ladder bars added; no four link. The interior is all carpet and original upholstery/door panels/dash pad. So, no alumisaurus surroundings. The only deviation under the hood was a "Thunderbolt-style" shock tower treatment for added clearance. So, no tubular work. Obviously, no fancy paint job, just a respray of the original black.

So, in my opinion, not a Pro Street, but a regular car with tubs and a roll bar, using a car passed from father to son. I like the 4-door thing. Different. If a transporter from Idaho to Arizona can be found, this car will never be parted out.

temarey

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2018, 10:35:18 PM »
Four door cars can be cool. remember Gapp and Rousch  Tijuana Taxi 8.80's