Author Topic: 1966 FE Galaxie Rear Suspension Advice  (Read 4228 times)

Diogenes

• View Profile
Re: 1966 FE Galaxie Rear Suspension Advice
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2018, 08:06:46 PM »

[/quote]

I did not drive it any with out the sway bar on it after putting the Spohn lower controls arms on. I was a little concerned about drilling holes in them too but I think bracing it up with tubing around the control arm made up for that. Although I don't road race the car or anything I was getting 1.60 60ft times with it at the track with 10.5" slicks on the car along with pulling the front tires off the ground(albeit VERY briefly) so I think they are still sturdy enough. The main reason I went with them over my boxed units was when I put my slicks on they were real close to rubbing the front of my wheelwell and I needed a way to move the tires back and it helped in adjusting my pinion angle.
 There is another company called Pmt fabrication that sells tubular control arms for 65-74 Galaxies that has an option for a rear sway bar. The lowers are rectangular, more like the originals and the sway bar bolts directly to them from the side. They look real nice. Had I found them sooner I might have went with them.  Here is a link:
https://pmtfabrication.com/product-category/ford-2/1965-74-ford-galaxie
[/quote]

Again, good info. I saw PMT on ebay, but they are quite a bit cheaper on their site--Spohn is still a better price. Again, may be interested in your lower control arms--PM sent.
WHEN CRIMINALS MAKE THE LAWS, OBEYING THE LAW IS A CRIME.

1966 Galaxie 500 390 Toploader 3.89 Traction-Lock 9in.
1985 Toyota Celica Supra
1971 Montego MX wagon 351C Toploader Detroit Locker Cyclone competition gauge/dash bucket seats/console
1989 Texas DPS Police Mustang
1971 Torino GT 351C 4V AT
1968 Cougar 351W Toploader Traction-Lock 8in.
1989 Dodge Omni modified 2.5 turbo from hell

Dr Mabuse

• View Profile
Re: 1966 FE Galaxie Rear Suspension Advice
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2018, 12:31:35 PM »
For what it's worth, I had Air Lift air bags inside the rear springs in my '66 XL.

With 5 psi in the left, and 10 psi in the right, I had equal traction when launching at a local 1/4 mile drag strip.

My best times were low 14's, with a #4150 car weight.