Author Topic: TMP Carbs 4150 series double pumper carbs for 2x4 FE setup?  (Read 6287 times)

427LX

• View Profile
TMP Carbs 4150 series double pumper carbs for 2x4 FE setup?
« on: September 24, 2018, 12:17:41 PM »
Found this on the TMP website about these short bowl double pumper carbs for use on FE 427 dual quad intakes.
Anyone use these...looks very interesting!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 12:19:49 PM by 427LX »

mbrunson427

• View Profile
Re: TMP Carbs 4150 series double pumper carbs for 2x4 FE setup?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 01:04:21 PM »
This guy used to promote his stuff on the FE facebook page. Drew P asked him some specific questions on how he does certain things (things that were pretty far over my un-carburetor-knowledged head) and he kind of burst his lid for no apparent reason. I was going to get some 3x2 carbs from him, but after seeing that, decided not to. If Drew sees this I'm sure he'll fill in all the technical gaps that I'm not able to.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 01:20:24 PM »
Interesting.   He uses 660 throttle arms(whole baseplate?).  Makes you wonder why not just use 660 carbs to begin with?  Granted they don't have power valves, but do his?

« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 01:24:31 PM by BattlestarGalactic »
Larry

427LX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 01:41:29 PM »
Looking at it he uses the 50 cc accel pump on the primary side and maybe just drills a pump shot transfer hole from the front of carb through the center bore webbing to the area of the rear squirtter?  Maybe there is a secondary accel pump but can't see that side of carb. 
The secondary linkage has an adjustable cam plate but wonder if you can have same progression as a standard DP carb.
But then if both accel pumps work together it's no better than an old 660 Holley where during street use the extra secondary pump shot is puddling  over the closed throttles screwing up your A/F ratio.

Was hoping somebody had made a real short bowl double pump carb for use in tight spaces!

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 06:42:20 AM »
I haven't seen much of that guy, he didn't make many friends on any forums, especially bad run on Speedtalk if I remember correctly.

Of course we weren't smart enough to talk about carbs with him anyway :)
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Machspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 10:53:37 AM »
I know this is off topic but did anyone notice the 360 Holley view on their website? That's an interesting looking setup. I don't understand the reason to have a place to attach the throttle feed on both sides. I think the bowls can be feed from either side also. Unless I'm missing something, there's no way to install it wrong but I know some people that would find a way to make it happen.  ::)

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 10:57:29 AM »
>Makes you wonder why not just use 660 carbs to begin with?

Well, for one they have been discontinued.  The eBay prices doubled or tripled over the last little while.  If he's tearing down older 660s for the arms, he'd make more $ cleaning and selling the whole carbs IMHO.   

427LX

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 11:36:26 AM »
If I could figure out how to get the secondary pump shot from the bowl up to the rear squirter position using metering plate without the secondary metering block,I would have my own 650 double pumpers! 

Turning the carbs sideways won't clear the distributor.

BH107

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 09:05:04 PM »
Tom has been around for quite awhile and knows his stuff. Like any salesman he’s going to say his is the best while not giving away and “secrets”. Never used his carbs but wouldn’t be afraid to try.

plovett

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2018, 05:33:55 AM »
I haven't seen much of that guy, he didn't make many friends on any forums, especially bad run on Speedtalk if I remember correctly.

Of course we weren't smart enough to talk about carbs with him anyway :)

LOL!  Yeah, I remember Troy from Speedtalk.  He managed to piss off just about everybody off with his ego.  That and his "acting career".   It's hard to get banned from most sites, but he accomplished it. I think he said a lot of intelligent things about carburetors, though.  It would be interesting to talk to him for sure.   Personally, I'd work with one of the established boutique carb companies first.  AED, QFT, etc. 

JMO,

paulie

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2018, 10:15:52 AM »
Troy is Troy.

Mr Brunson mentions me so I will comment. Troy was advertising his goods daily on the fanatics page.
I asked him to keep it in the for sale area. He wouldn’t comply.

He was advertising a Venturi-less carb. I asked how it worked. He said it was a secret. I said the boosters are a Venturi. I deconstructed how I thought his carbs worked and asked if I was right. He exploded, sending me hate mail, telling me he called the attorney general on me, etc. We banned him from the group.
I dunno. He seems like a smart fella, just has some issues dealing with other adults *shrug*  Now.... I will say, not naming him exactly, but I often look at a persons online attitude, I consider that before doing business with them. If a person has to be right about everything, well I can only imagine if I had an issue with their product, I’m sure they would tell me it’s my fault, etc.

I’ve never used his carbs, they look pretty, lotsa new parts bolted together. From what I’ve seen, most of his carbs cost 5-6 times what mine do.... so I’ll more than likely never see his carbs on an engine.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 11:18:44 AM by Drew Pojedinec »

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2018, 12:04:40 PM »
He was advertising a Venturi-less carb. I asked how it worked. He said it was a secret.

Umm, how do you call it a "secret" if you sell them to the public? Assuming he has actually sold one, and it would only take one, then the "secret" is no longer a secret, unless of course nobody is smart enough to figure it out. ::) :P
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

427LX

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2018, 12:22:50 PM »
Thanks for the info guys!  I did talk to him and those carbs,other than have annular boosters and a slightly progressive secondary linkage plate....nothing much different than the old 660's.
When I first saw the picture and noticed position of rear squirtter I thought someone had finally developed a true 4160 style double pumper...not! We have every other conceivable carb out there now days but not that.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2018, 12:46:33 PM »
There is a fella on the Fe Fanatics group that took two 4160 primary bowls and fed fuel from both sides of the engine. He welded an extension to the secondary throttle shaft so it would fire an accelerator pump. He runs dual 4160 double pumpers. Was pretty awesome.
He used a double pumper main body. Was pretty awesome, but sure looked like a lot of work.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2018, 01:52:12 PM »
On another note 427lx. If you want me to install annulars in a 660, it wouldn’t be hard to do. Any carb guy could do it with ease.

660’s are for sale new, they are just really expensive.

As far as cores being crazy expensive, the last set I bought were $250 for a pair.