Author Topic: Any Nitrous FE's Here ?  (Read 5037 times)

Coreyc619

• View Profile
Re: Any Nitrous FE's Here ?
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2018, 01:12:51 PM »
Sorry about your buddy, Keith.

Something I've gotten into the habit of doing with nitrous, is to run a wide band O2 with a Lean Safety Shutoff switch.  The last one I bought, came from Dave's Nitrous Outlet.  Basically, you input a value for whatever you don't want the A/F to go beyond - let's say 13:1 for grins - If the WBO2 sees 13.00009:1, it interrupts the power to your nitrous system (I use the WOT switch's ground, interrupt it and kill the system OR if my timing retard is activated by WOT, I take out the nitrous solenoid itself), and saves your bacon on the motor.  I stole this idea from a friend, and fortunately never needed it.  I personally witnessed it save his engine twice due to electrical gremlins.  He was trying to use the Lingenfelter two step when it first came out, with a progressive N2O controller, and those two flat would not get along (LS platform). 

Also, I think nitrous is exempt from the "rich is safe" rule of thumb.  Some say it can actually make things worse... All I know is, I bought that advice and it has served me well. You want your air/fuel to be correct at all times for the combo, what you DON'T want, is too much timing.  TIMING is the key.  I've never personally sprayed more than a 250, so I won't pretend to be a true expert, but I have certainly learned a lot about reading spark plugs, and tuning - through nitrous.  I've never hurt any of my own, or others engines either.  If you want to go faster? throw a bigger nitrous jet and pull more timing.  DO NOT try to richen up, and add "just one more degree of timing" from a safe/good running tune.  Maybe that makes more sense... Anyway.

I can't think of the guy's name on YellowBullet, Monty I think?  If anyone is interested in learning how to run nitrous without destroying things, searching his posts would be an EXTREMELY good place to start.  Best N2O information I've found, anywhere on the internet.  Guy knows his stuff, and fortunately is one that is willing to share/help others.

I'm running an Induction Solutions plate on my 421" FE.  Well, after all my crap comes back from Blair anyway.  For the kit, I'll be using a stand alone fuel system with race gas for added security, as always.  Something I HIGHLY recommend in a street/pump gas car.  Cheaper than a set of pistons... 
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 01:14:32 PM by Coreyc619 »

Coreyc619

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2018, 04:21:26 PM »
And, you asked for pics so..  This is my plate, and product engineering fuel supply/plumbing etc from the last time I used this thing.  Been a minute..

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2018, 11:18:44 PM »

I can't think of the guy's name on YellowBullet, Monty I think?  If anyone is interested in learning how to run nitrous without destroying things, searching his posts would be an EXTREMELY good place to start.  Best N2O information I've found, anywhere on the internet.  Guy knows his stuff, and fortunately is one that is willing to share/help others.

I'm not on Yellow Bullet, but I'm guessing Monte is Monte Smith? Sadly Monte passed away about a year and a half ago.

Monte Smith helped Dave Schroeder tune his Nitrous assisted Corvette, which Dave took to a sentimental Drag Week win in 2017 after Monte's passing. There is also a long running Monte Smith Nitrous thread on the Moparts forum that they have saved. I haven't been through it, but likely some good info there too.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

Coreyc619

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2018, 12:09:15 PM »

I'm not on Yellow Bullet, but I'm guessing Monte is Monte Smith? Sadly Monte passed away about a year and a half ago.

Monte Smith helped Dave Schroeder tune his Nitrous assisted Corvette, which Dave took to a sentimental Drag Week win in 2017 after Monte's passing. There is also a long running Monte Smith Nitrous thread on the Moparts forum that they have saved. I haven't been through it, but likely some good info there too.

Yes sir, that would be him.  That is indeed very sad, and quite a loss.  It's rare to find people with the qualities he seemed to have.  I really appreciate how consistently generous he was with fellow racers/car guys, simply because he loved what he did and wanted to help others enjoy it too.  I've been "out of the game" for several years, so I would not have known that he passed. 

That's a really cool story about Schroeder's vette.  Always enjoy seeing stuff that like that go down, especially when those involved are still grieving...  I still can't shake this solemn feeling myself though.  Thank you for the heads up.