Author Topic: 7 mm plug wires  (Read 1751 times)

Lenz

• View Profile
7 mm plug wires
« on: September 28, 2018, 08:17:19 AM »
Who makes the best "off the shelf" wires?  I'm running a set of Mr. Gasket wires on the 300 in my '69 F100, the boots are pretty crappy.  I need to keep pressing down and rotating the boot on the coil to prevent stumble.  Once I do this it'll run fine for a couple of days, then back at it.  When I bought the truck I scrapped the points and went to a Pertronix Ignitor with everything else like Henry set it up (I do draw 12 volts at the ignition switch under crank and run for the ignitor).  I used dielectric grease and also made a few other checks to make sure the problem wasn't due to an issue downstream, everything looks good.  Thoughts appreciated, I know what it really needs is FE power but I've grown accustomed to standing next to the engine under the hood for tune-ups ;D
Len Zielinski
'64 Galaxie 500 445 Toploader
'69 F100 300 stick

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: 7 mm plug wires
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 09:42:22 AM »
If you want something better than regular parts store wires, you might have an issue finding them for a straight 6. They need several very short wires, and I have doubts that you'll be able to find an off the shelf performance wire made for them. Custom fit may be your only option for a 300.

And I can stand in the engine compartment of my F series trucks with FE's in them, but I'm only 145 lbs, so that probably helps a bit..lol
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 10:13:00 AM »
Yeah, I weigh at least 145 too ::)  Think that was in 10th grade tho-.  On the wires I figured I might end up needing to make a set from a quality kit, just looking for the easier way out.  On the other hand, I saw that Barry has a set of old +.060 forged 390 pistons for sale and I just happen to have a block in good shape opened up that far.  'Course, I'd still need to come up with some heads.  Starting to look like this ignition problem could cost me more than I figured on ???
Len Zielinski
'64 Galaxie 500 445 Toploader
'69 F100 300 stick

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 02:18:15 PM »
Yeah, I weigh at least 145 too ::)  Think that was in 10th grade tho-.  On the wires I figured I might end up needing to make a set from a quality kit, just looking for the easier way out.  On the other hand, I saw that Barry has a set of old +.060 forged 390 pistons for sale and I just happen to have a block in good shape opened up that far.  'Course, I'd still need to come up with some heads.  Starting to look like this ignition problem could cost me more than I figured on ???

Send me darn near any random amount of money in PayPal and you will own those pistons (pretty certain they are still here gathering dust)....

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 06:42:32 AM »

Send me darn near any random amount of money in PayPal and you will own those pistons (pretty certain they are still here gathering dust)....

LOL
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports