Author Topic: Rocker arm suggestions  (Read 4242 times)

happystang

• View Profile
Rocker arm suggestions
« on: September 10, 2018, 09:24:16 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of building a 428 for my '68 fastback and I'm approaching the stage where I need to pick a rocker arm assembly. I'm using Edelbrock aluminum heads with springs rated for a roller cam (150lbs on the seat) with a relatively mild Lunati hydraulic roller cam:

Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 262/270
Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 211/219
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .559/.559
LSA/ICL: 112/106
Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
RPM Range: 1600-5600

The heads will utilize Edelbrock's stud kit for the rocker arms.

I currently have the factory adjustable type rocker arms:

IMG_6800.JPG by armon7, on Flickr

IMG_6802.JPG by armon7, on Flickr

Would these suffice for my build? I see the Harland Sharp setup for nearly $1000, but I feel that might be slightly overkill for my application. I'm not opposed to swapping the stock rocker arms in favor of roller rockers if that's necessary.

If these are suitable, any tips or tricks for rebuilding them? Anything I should look for?

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
Re: Rocker arm suggestions
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 10:38:15 PM »
If the adjuster screws are tight and the shafts are not worn, those factory parts will be just fine.  I would be tempted to spring for a set of end stands since you do not have the steel rocker stands.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 11:20:54 PM »
+2 on the end stands. With a 590/590 solid & standard Edelbrock springs I broke the ends off.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 06:21:22 AM »
I'd run stock hydraulic rockers with that cam.  Set it up once and forget it.  End stands are always a good idea
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 09:33:01 AM »
I'm with the guys above. End stands for sure, with those aluminum stands. If that's all you have is the adjustables, and they're not all scored up, and the adjusters are good like Barry mentioned, use 'em. Even if the adjusters are loose, you can spring for a set of Crane locking screws, if they still make them that is. I did that on an engine 25 years ago and they're still in use today. I would probably consider better stands, only because even though that roller is a mild one, it has a fairly aggressive lobe, and I'm not a fan of the factory aluminum stands. They do tend to flex a bit with any decent pressure put on them.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 10:15:45 AM »
That is my setup....

Endstands, center stands, spacers, studs, crane locking adjusters, and new sealed power shafts.

It's overkill even for my setup.  For the original poster I'd just toss on endstands.  Adjusters and new shafts if needed.  It's a $100-$200 upgrade and would be pretty tough to hurt.

Pentroof

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 06:28:54 PM »
Couple things to consider with stock adjustable rockers. First, notice the oiling holes that squirt pressurized oil on the valve tip on one side and on the adjuster on the backside. If the rockers have too much slop in their bore, oil leakage will drop oil pressure overall and the valve tip and pushrod will not get proper cooling lube.
Second, if you keep the factory adjusters, make sure they are super tight, or they could loosen with use. They rely only on the interference fit of the threads. If they've been adjusted multiple times in the past, they may have provided their own, happier threads.
Third, if you use the stock rockers and change to aftermarket adjusters, that will completely negate the chance of loosening, but the rockers must be machined to do so. The stock rocker does not have a flat surface for the locking nut to locate on. Instead, it will bottom on the highest point, loading the adjuster unevenly. Broken adjusters or rockers could result.
Lastly, if you do go the route of aftermarket adjusters, make sure you buy pushrods of a length that allow the adjuster to be lowered just enough to allow the oil hole to squirt above the cup. Otherwise, the cups will not be getting proper lube, instead, they shield themselves.

On that last note, not everyone agrees with me on that and they suggest you need to crank the adjuster up as high as possible for proper geometry. He'll be along any minute to explain himself. I stand by the words I've written above.
Jim

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 08:15:07 PM »
Third, if you use the stock rockers and change to aftermarket adjusters, that will completely negate the chance of loosening, but the rockers must be machined to do so.

Not necessarily true. I never machined mine and they have never loosened in over 25 years of use. Never broke anything either. I wasn't running sky high spring pressures, but they have seen a LOT of hard use. In fact, after that 25 years of use, I just threw them on my Galaxie and drove 1300 miles to Atlanta and back this weekend. Not a problem.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 06:17:42 AM »
I would run factory non-adjustables on your setup in a heartbeat. 

On a separate note, I have a new rocker arm coming out that will fill a gap for hydraulic applications (will work for solids too if you're so inclined).  Should have samples in here next week. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

happystang

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2018, 01:08:38 PM »
Thank you all for the suggestions.

My next question, what would be considered excessive wear on the rocker shaft? Or is this something that needs to be checked with a mic (what #'s should I expect)?

Any advantages to using the factory adjustable rockers versus buying brand new non adjustable rockers?

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2018, 01:53:59 PM »
At the level of your build, there is no reason to spend money on different rockers when yours will work fine, as long as they're not scored badly. As far as the shafts go, again, just look for bad scoring. I'd be tempted to go with a new set of Sealed Power shafts, just because original shafts tend to be scored pretty good from years of use, but that's not always the case depending on how much use they have on them.

It's a fairly mild build, so no need to go overboard and spend money you don't have to. Barry gave you good advice at the start, keep the parts you have (provided they're not scored bad), and just spring for end stands and adjusters if needed. I wouldn't even use spacers, those springs do a fine job on mild builds. The bad part about reusing the shafts even if they don't look bad is that they hold a LOT of crud inside them, and it's nearly impossible to get out without popping the end plugs out and running a brush through them.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2018, 02:06:02 PM »
On a separate note, I have a new rocker arm coming out that will fill a gap for hydraulic applications (will work for solids too if you're so inclined).  Should have samples in here next week.

Caught that.
Steel?
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2018, 02:07:33 PM »
Nope.

Aluminum.  Roller tip.  Bushed or bearing fulcrum. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2018, 09:03:50 PM »
At the level of your build, there is no reason to spend money on different rockers when yours will work fine, as long as they're not scored badly. As far as the shafts go, again, just look for bad scoring. I'd be tempted to go with a new set of Sealed Power shafts, just because original shafts tend to be scored pretty good from years of use, but that's not always the case depending on how much use they have on them.

It's a fairly mild build, so no need to go overboard and spend money you don't have to. Barry gave you good advice at the start, keep the parts you have (provided they're not scored bad), and just spring for end stands and adjusters if needed. I wouldn't even use spacers, those springs do a fine job on mild builds. The bad part about reusing the shafts even if they don't look bad is that they hold a LOT of crud inside them, and it's nearly impossible to get out without popping the end plugs out and running a brush through them.

I agree, although a new set of purpose-built hyd only rockers sounds REALLY good for a couple healthy 462 builds I have coming up and wouldn't hurt here

However, I disagree that an old set of adjustables are right for this, (or even a new set or adjustable rollers).  Stock hyd rockers for a cam that size would be lighter, zero maintenance, and with the minor difference in lift (under 2%) and off-seat duration at the valve, no downside to me combined with lots of good by going with non-adjustable.  Simply, lighter, Mo' cheap and mo' easy :)

---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2018, 10:00:01 PM »
I agree, although a new set of purpose-built hyd only rockers sounds REALLY good for a couple healthy 462 builds I have coming up and wouldn't hurt here

However, I disagree that an old set of adjustables are right for this, (or even a new set or adjustable rollers).  Stock hyd rockers for a cam that size would be lighter, zero maintenance, and with the minor difference in lift (under 2%) and off-seat duration at the valve, no downside to me combined with lots of good by going with non-adjustable.  Simply, lighter, Mo' cheap and mo' easy :)

He's using a hydraulic cam, so where is the "maintenance" needed? Set the preload and you're done. Spending a couple hundred dollars to replace parts that he already has, that will work fine, is not cheaper. Lighter? Look at the specs on his cam card. It has an RPM range to 5600. A few grams are not going to make any difference.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 10:07:39 PM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe