Author Topic: Strange S-Trac  (Read 3757 times)

afret

Strange S-Trac
« on: September 10, 2018, 10:06:05 AM »
Anyone here have experience with the S-Trac differential?  Was going to just order a center section from Strange with a locker but noticed Strange has this S-Trac helical differential.  Would it be better to just stick with a DL?  Thanks!

https://www.strangeengineering.net/product/9-ford-strange-s-trac-helical-gear-differential-35-spline.html/

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
Re: Strange S-Trac
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 10:20:13 AM »
I've seen similar designs.   I've contemplated changing out the old 35 spline spool in my pickup to something a bit more friendly.  Just haven't wanted to spend the big money to do it.  I think they originally came out with the DL for 35 spline.  Still pricey.  After 30 yrs of putting up with that spool out back, I've wanted to make it a bit easier to drive around.
Larry

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 12:57:19 PM »
Looks like the same principal as the Detroit True Trac ands Tru-Trac are nice if you don't want a Locker

afret

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 01:36:44 PM »
Thanks for the replies and info.  I called Strange tech and the guy said the S-Trac will hold up fine for a 10 sec street car with auto and it doesn't have the quirks of a DL.  I just went ahead and ordered a center section with the S-Trac to give it a try.  Hopefully the tech guy wasn't full of BS.  LOL

sixty9cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 02:30:25 PM »
I have a tru trac not a 10 second car but it works good so far. No chattering seems to burn posi with drag radials no issues in 3 or 4 yrs street driven.

afret

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 02:32:24 PM »
I have a tru trac not a 10 second car but it works good so far. No chattering seems to burn posi with drag radials no issues in 3 or 4 yrs street driven.

Thank you.  Good to get more info and another data point.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 05:03:14 PM »
Once you get it, maybe a review?

Have a 28-spline OEM Ford clutch type limited slip and have thought of upgrading to 31-splines but do not want a DL.

Thanks for the replies and info.  I called Strange tech and the guy said the S-Trac will hold up fine for a 10 sec street car with auto and it doesn't have the quirks of a DL.  I just went ahead and ordered a center section with the S-Trac to give it a try.  Hopefully the tech guy wasn't full of BS.  LOL
Bob Maag

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 06:13:21 PM »
You might be close Harry with that new motor. Probably 75 horse more than mine ;) 8).
Was looking at them myself Afret, how much was the complete pumpkin.

afret

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 10:18:10 PM »
Don't know how long they take to build the thing but I'll try and review it.  Hopefully it does what they claim.

Yeah, Harry's car with the new engine should really run well at the track.   But I can definitely understand his reluctance to taking the risk of damaging it racing it at the track.

You can go on the Strange website and build a center section and see the price with whatever options you want.  You just have to click on the "start your order" button to see what you want costs. That S-Trac is on the spendy side:

https://www.strangeengineering.net/product/strange-pro-ford-9-n-case-posi-unit-std-gear-yoke.html/

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 10:25:23 PM »
Thanks I will be watching you

sixty9cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2018, 05:23:41 AM »
I bought a Strange case, 31 spline Tru-trac, 4.11 gears,  Moser 31 spline axles and longer studs from Brent. I don't want to set him up for a price but it was 5 or 6 yrs ago. I think it was around $1800-2000 delivered.

garyv

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2018, 06:45:17 AM »
We put a Tru-trac in my son's Mustang GT several years ago. Works great and he has not had any issues
with it.

garyv

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 09:46:33 AM »
Well, after a few weeks I finally get to start assembling the rearend for the pickup.   As I went to install the ring gear, I happen to look into the splines of the spool and notice I have some damaged splines on the drivers side.  Hmmm.   The axles are fine, no damage.  The splines are chipped out for about an inch.  The axles engage about 2".

Now comes the time I need to decide if I put another spool in, or change out to something like this S trac?  The spool is a WHOLE lot cheaper.   $150 compared to $1000.   Yikes.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 09:48:27 AM by BattlestarGalactic »
Larry

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2018, 09:52:41 AM »
I hear ya Larry. But for my 500+ hp street car with manual steering that tru trac is super nice

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2018, 10:11:35 AM »
They offer a DL set up for $595, so that is a bit easier to swallow.  Still trying to justify it though.   I've thrown too much money around this year already for stuff and $1K is just a bit much just to make it easier to drive?

My '69 F100 is a real bear to drive with 12" rubber, 4" front runners(both bias ply), manual steering(with a small Grant steering wheel) and a spool.  Been near 30 yrs that way, but as I get older....it gets tough to want to drive it.  Takes both hands on the wheel to keep it in your lane.  Friend drove it once years back and had a real eye opener about keeping it in your lane and off the sidewalk!!!
Larry

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2018, 11:09:25 AM »
Try a bigger diameter wheel, it will make a difference.

They offer a DL set up for $595, so that is a bit easier to swallow.  Still trying to justify it though.   I've thrown too much money around this year already for stuff and $1K is just a bit much just to make it easier to drive?

My '69 F100 is a real bear to drive with 12" rubber, 4" front runners(both bias ply), manual steering(with a small Grant steering wheel) and a spool.  Been near 30 yrs that way, but as I get older....it gets tough to want to drive it.  Takes both hands on the wheel to keep it in your lane.  Friend drove it once years back and had a real eye opener about keeping it in your lane and off the sidewalk!!!
Bob Maag

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2018, 11:21:25 AM »
The Detroit Tru Trac is know where near 1000.00 and I know they work good , I would blow off the Strange Idea and just get a Detroit

afret

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2018, 12:10:26 PM »
Kind of funny how Strange has a photo of the Eaton unit with the "Made in Taiwan" clearly visible.  Probably helps to sell their own version.  LOL

https://www.strangeengineering.net/product/ford-9-35-spline-eaton-truetrack.html/

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2018, 12:36:36 PM »

15 seconds on google shows a tru trac for a Ford 9 costs $473.93 shipped free via Summit racing.  Dunno where $1000 comes from.
If I was more interested in racing I'd most likely have gotten a Detroit locker.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2018, 02:03:12 PM »
Try a bigger diameter wheel, it will make a difference.

I took the stock wheel out before I did all the power upgrades.  Yes, a bigger wheel would help now, but I like my old Grant wood/chrome spoke wheel.

The pricing on the Strange site is $995, so that is pretty close to $1K.  Thus I'm not going to purchase from them.

Strange S-Trac Differential                                                                                 

Fits 9″ Ford With 35 Spline Axles                                                                           
Requires Aftermarket 3.250″ Bore Case

$995.00

Yes, there are cheaper options, and I may look at them.  Time will tell.  I don't want to deal with junk, thus I put the spool in it years ago.
Larry