Author Topic: Drag Week 2018  (Read 4925 times)

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: Drag Week 2018
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2018, 10:35:02 AM »
Joe, yeah it's not looking good. My son lives just 3 miles inland on the southern coast of North Carolina, right where the eye of the hurricane is suppose to hit. They're leaving today to head farther inland. They're calling for the hurricane to be the worst ever to hit in that area. Hoping everyone stays safe.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2018, 11:08:40 AM »
I saw satelite photos of that hurricane ...its a monster

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2018, 11:54:43 AM »
Good thing I’ll be in the Bahamas. I’ll just catch the next storm.
Hope your son and fam do alright, and their house stays high and dry.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2018, 05:50:44 PM »
Doug. I understand that you want to keep the Galaxie  stock as
a driver for camping trips and so on. They realy deliver
cruising with comfort, thats why i looking for a lighter
car for the stroker engine. And keep my Galaxie as it is
with highway gearing and all. The streetmaster and the
cam only makes it run better down low. Its Nice to cruise at higway
speed with the throtle blades just opened, and all you hear
is the wind and a mellow deep burble from the rear
My wife hurt her neck and back in a car crash 20 years ago
and have constant pain and says the Galaxie with the soft ride is
best for her on our bad roads

It looks cool with slicks and the white steelwheels 8). Nice cenerys in
those mountains, me and Ollie passed through similar mountains but
must have been far more to the north. The YouHaul truck had a hard
time going up some of the grades. Ollie asked me  what engine it had
and i said probably a 351 windsor so we dubbed it Sir Windsor of Missery
until we found out it was a V10 ;D

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2018, 10:49:59 PM »
Heo, when I replace the rear seal, I will probably go through the lower end with new bearings, rings and possibly a newer cam design, but nothing that would be considered a 'performance' cam. It could use a good set of firm shocks to replace the cheap ones that are on it. Soft springs with firm shocks make for a great ride. It has a really nice tone to it also, with the duals and glasspacks. Just rumbles along, but not loud at all inside the car. That's part of what makes the car such a joy to drive. I think you know that I'm pretty old school when it comes to everything, so it'll fit me and my camping style to a T :)

And yes, you and Ollie were much farther north. There are several mountain ranges in the Appalachians, and the Smokeys, which border eastern Tennessee and North Carolina, are the highest and most scenic. Beautiful and rugged land.

Funny story for you; when I go camping, I really rough it. We were camping at Cass Scenic Railroad one time, which is a place I love to visit, and I was hiking the track to the top of the mountain. It's an old logging railroad with steep grades and switchbacks that climbs to a very high altitude. They run old Baldwin narrow gauge steam engines that were made just miles from where I live. Anyway, I heard the steam engine lugging up the track one day while hiking so I got off the track and sat down on a big rock a ways up the hill to watch it go by, wearing old hiking clothes, my well worn leather brimmed hat and holding my walking stick that I've used for probably 25 years, which is a very small tree that was chewed down by a beaver. The train comes by, loaded with tourist passengers, and they see this scruffy looking character sitting on the rock. They all started grabbing their cameras and started taking pictures of me, and I mean almost everyone. Apparently I looked the part...lol  I still laugh when I think of them looking back on their pictures and talking about the local Mountain Man they saw while taking their ride. ;D
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2018, 03:12:20 AM »
Funny coincidence, My Galaxie is sold new in Roanoke Virginia that
i understand is up in the Appalachians. I have the receipt or window sticker
or what what i shall call it. With the cost off  the options it has, i think the fourspeed was $188 :D
And there was several West Virginia and North Carolina licence plates from the 70s with the car,
The Swedish cops didn't liked when i used the WV plates ::) :D

Must be nice hiking in those mountains ...old style....with just your flintlock rifle
a pouch of salt and some chewing tobacco. What you say, shall i cast me some bullets
fill up the powder horn and set sail for the new world and we go explore the untamed
wilderness ;D ;D....Seriously would love to go hiking there but i don't think I'm fit enough anymore