Author Topic: My cooling issue has been solve-ed...sort of. 9/1/18  (Read 7847 times)

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: My cooling issue has been solve-ed...sort of.
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2018, 06:20:24 AM »
I think it's gonna be different results for different applications. 

We just got through dealing with this on my buddy's '68 Chevelle.  He picked it up a couple of months ago.  Even in June, with 85-90° outside temps, it would routinely run 220-230° water temp with an electric fan running.   The trip home was filled with stop & go driving, as we drove up through Mt. Washington and basically hit every stop light that we could find...

After we did some inspection to make sure it wasn't something else mechanical, he took the electric fan off, put the factory shroud on, and installed a mechanical fan.  Temps dropped 30°.  Even now with the weather being a little hotter, the same stop & go driving will not find the water temp creeping up. 

I'm not jumping on anyone's side here, I'm just saying that there's a lot more that goes into it than just slapping an electric fan on and expecting stellar results.  I think a lot of us are speaking from experience, but you have to take into account where we each are in relation to each other in the US. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2018, 08:50:10 AM »
Alan, those pulleys can get mighty close, hopefully you have room for the bigger crank pulley, otherwise you might have to change that pump pulley also. That fan looks identical to the one I run in my Mach. I've got the underdriven pulley set from March on it.

Sometimes it's hard to explain why a set-up works on one vehicle, but doesn't on another. You do have a smaller engine compartment, which certainly doesn't help. I'd bet a vacuum advance would also help keep it cooler with advanced timing at idle, but I also run the same distributor you're running.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2018, 09:55:07 AM »
Thankfully it isn’t that hot in Georgia, and there is rarely traffic in the Atlanta area.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2018, 10:43:55 AM »
Drew, you are one lucky dude  ;D ;D
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2018, 10:45:17 AM »
Thankfully it isn’t that hot in Georgia, and there is rarely traffic in the Atlanta area.

It's not like you are ever on dry land anyway.....
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2018, 11:54:10 AM »
I'm on dry land right now :P
Good thing, cuz my shop is getting overrun with stuff I need to build.

Tommy-T

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2018, 03:35:31 PM »
Alan,
If you want a Volvo 960 fan like the one that Ross is referring in his post, drop me an email and I'll send one out. Got a few on the shelf.
gearhead427@verizon.net

Since this is a discussion, put me solidly (pun intended) in the fixed steel fan category for best cooling. The problem with my junk is that the engine never ends up in a near stock position to the radiator so I end up going electric.

I've stacked up quite a lot of different Volvo electric fans over the years. The controllers burn out and you have to buy the whole fan assembly to repair the car. Remove the controller and just wire the fan to a bosch 30/40 amp relay from your fan switch...or toggle switch if you're a real caveman. ;)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 03:37:31 PM by Tommy-T »

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2018, 08:10:30 PM »
Thankfully it isn’t that hot in Georgia, and there is rarely traffic in the Atlanta area ,    that is funny .

AlanCasida

• View Profile
Re: My cooling issue has been solve-ed...sort of. 9/1/18
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2018, 02:51:02 PM »
Ok, I made some modifications to my cooling system. It's 97 deg here today. I put on a larger crank pulley so my waterpump and fan are now running about 12% overdrive rather than 7 % underdrive and I put on an 18" 7 blade flex fan(which required fabbing a new fan shroud) over the 16" 6 blade one I had so now going down the road the temp is about 185 and I let it set idling for 10 minutes and it got up to around 215, maybe a little over, not too bad. A short drive out of town dropped the temp back down to 185 real quick. That's the good. The bad is within my 15 mile drive the inside of the car still gets pretty warm. it got up to about 113 deg. and if I open the floor vents it just gets worse. Another big issue is the placement of my MSD box. I put it inside the car on the firewall to "keep it cooler" but I checked it with my heat gun it was 185 deg!  It turns out that when I built my headers I have one tube on the passenger side that bends right next to the firewall where my MSD box is on the other side. I am afraid I'll fry that thing on a long drive. The interior heat though is too much for me. I think I can overcome this but along with all the other things I need to do I just don't have time. I hate to admit defeat but I just don't think I am going to make it.  :(

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2018, 09:12:19 PM »
X3 on the Spals, my Dual spals stradle each side of the water pump since the fans are not dead center

Allen I also have the duel electric fans and they do straddle the water pump
Your radiator could probably fit the dual 12 inch fans from Spal. Before I knew about Spal
I bought the dual 11 inch fans from Jegs (not Spals) and they still work. One thing I can tell you
 is run separate 30 amp relays for each fan. Ask me how I know. ;)

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2018, 09:21:38 PM »
Your so close and you have a week

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2018, 07:32:27 AM »
Ok, I made some modifications to my cooling system. It's 97 deg here today. I put on a larger crank pulley so my waterpump and fan are now running about 12% overdrive rather than 7 % underdrive and I put on an 18" 7 blade flex fan(which required fabbing a new fan shroud) over the 16" 6 blade one I had so now going down the road the temp is about 185 and I let it set idling for 10 minutes and it got up to around 215, maybe a little over, not too bad. A short drive out of town dropped the temp back down to 185 real quick. That's the good. The bad is within my 15 mile drive the inside of the car still gets pretty warm. it got up to about 113 deg. and if I open the floor vents it just gets worse. Another big issue is the placement of my MSD box. I put it inside the car on the firewall to "keep it cooler" but I checked it with my heat gun it was 185 deg!  It turns out that when I built my headers I have one tube on the passenger side that bends right next to the firewall where my MSD box is on the other side. I am afraid I'll fry that thing on a long drive. The interior heat though is too much for me. I think I can overcome this but along with all the other things I need to do I just don't have time. I hate to admit defeat but I just don't think I am going to make it.  :(

Throwing an Idea without any idea of your setup, but could you make a shelf and temporarily turn the MSD 90 degrees?  Wouldn't take any wiring and would put it both away from the firewall and the electronics away from the heat source.

Then just be the crazy guy who drives in his underwear from track to track to stay cool :)

Even if you can't make it, sounds like the car is coming together, still some season left to drive the wheels off it
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2018, 08:09:37 AM »

Throwing an Idea without any idea of your setup, but could you make a shelf and temporarily turn the MSD 90 degrees?  Wouldn't take any wiring and would put it both away from the firewall and the electronics away from the heat source.

Then just be the crazy guy who drives in his underwear from track to track to stay cool :)

Even if you can't make it, sounds like the car is coming together, still some season left to drive the wheels off it

It's not mounted directly to the firewall now but has an air gap of about 3/4". I had considered moving it further away but what I really need to do is reroute my header tube and lay down some dynomat stuff. One thing about it, I have gotten a lot done that's for sure!

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2018, 09:15:46 AM »
Nooooo, don't give up yet!  I'd bet the MSD would be OK with the heat, but you could stuff some insulation of some sort between the box and the firewall to bring the temp down a little.  You can also wrap the header tube with some of that insulating wrap, right where it goes by the firewall.  You can make it!
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2018, 08:04:16 PM »
I'm with Jay, Alan. As far as the heat goes, put a small cooler in the passenger seat and keep some rags in ice water. An ice cold rag will cool you down real fast. Then just switch it out when it isn't cold enough. Or keep a spray bottle in there and mist yourself with cold water when you feel like it. Lots of ways to beat the heat, although your feet might not be so easy to keep cool.

If you're worried about the MSD, I'll bring along my spare. It's a new one so should hook right up should you need it. I won't need it anyway because I'm running points. And if you need help getting something done, or just need a hand, I'll be there to help you out.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe