Author Topic: Stainless Steel Headers  (Read 8664 times)

sixty9cobra

• View Profile
Stainless Steel Headers
« on: August 22, 2018, 06:47:39 AM »
Does anyone make custom headers for a 69 mustang out of stainless? I would like at least a 2" header. Right now I have Hooker 6114 that are Swain Tech coated. I think I am leaving power on the table with 1 3/4 headers. Ground clearance is a consideration. My 464 is making about 625 flywheel hp.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
Re: Stainless Steel Headers
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 08:19:22 AM »
Kooks Headers make them for lots of vehicles.  I did a quick search and they don't list for '69 Mustang.   They likely can make them.
https://www.kooksheaders.com/
Larry

482supersnake

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 06:22:43 PM »
If you want some off the best........ http://www.elstonheaders.com/
He has done FE powered Mustangs so he probably has a jig already but they won't be inexpensive.

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 07:17:37 PM »
If you want sidepipes,....we make them. 304 highly polished.  ;)

ron b

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 09:32:32 PM »
Does anyone make custom headers for a 69 mustang out of stainless? I would like at least a 2" header. Right now I have Hooker 6114 that are Swain Tech coated. I think I am leaving power on the table with 1 3/4 headers. Ground clearance is a consideration. My 464 is making about 625 flywheel hp.
I believe ben line makes them

Chrisss31

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 07:48:39 AM »
I checked out the website for Elston Headers, there is a lot of interesting information about header sizing and design on there.  What are you guys running for primary tube diameters?  This guy repeatedly talks about favoring smaller diameter tubing assuming there aren't too many tight bends or direction changes.  I always assumed 427-482" whatever combo at 600+hp would be looking for 2" tubes but maybe that's not the case?  He also seems to like the 4-2-1 design over merge collectors too.

sixty9cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 10:34:36 AM »
Kooks emailed me it would be 2800-3200 for 304SS and I would have to leave the car for 2-3 weeks in NC.  They have no stock of bolt in headers for my car.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 11:22:08 AM »
Kooks almost exclusively does SBC and BBC GM stuff. W/o looking today, they were in the $1,100-$1,300 range for BBC headers in a late 60's Camaro. Scary price they gave you but as a one-off design, I understand the high price. 

Kooks emailed me it would be 2800-3200 for 304SS and I would have to leave the car for 2-3 weeks in NC.  They have no stock of bolt in headers for my car.
Bob Maag

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 02:09:20 PM »
There was a set of Kooks SS foxbody headers up at summit on the junk rack.   Like $300?  I was going to just buy them to flip for some profit.   I left them sit.
If you were local, and my buddy had some time this winter he could make you a very nice set for much less.  He builds a lot of headers for guys around here.   His hourly rate isn't bad, the hard part would be buying all the stainless tube.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 02:12:12 PM by BattlestarGalactic »
Larry

TomP

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 05:47:59 PM »
Stainless bends are expensive and the ones that aren't are 16 ga which is way too thick and heavy. Easy to weld but makes a 50 lb pair of headers. Burns has thinner bends but $$$. Could cost over a grand just for the materials before starting on making them.
 I think the Nascar ones are 22 ga.

FElony

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 06:18:36 PM »

From a stop, can you spin your rear tires with a full throttle launch?

482supersnake

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2018, 06:59:56 PM »
I think the only off the shelf stainless headers for FE powered Mustangs would be these from JBA

https://www.cjponyparts.com/jba-long-tube-headers-1-3-4-inch-stainless-steel-390-428-1967-1970/p/HDJL5/

This is also an option but still not cheap.

http://www.stainlessheaders.com/customheaders
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 07:08:12 PM by 482supersnake »

sixty9cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2018, 08:36:31 PM »

Sometimes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2hCd3FOcrU

FElony

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2018, 09:04:14 PM »

Sometimes

Well, I was going to say if so, then your traction is leaving power on the table, and the small amount you would pick up with bigger headers would only add to the problem. However, at 11.87, I don't think you are making anywhere near 625 horsepower. Was this number off a dyno with no front dress? What kind of headers on the dyno?

Engine Masters had an episode where they bashed the primary tubes on a dyno motor, and the decrease in diameter had little effect on power. I'm a little surprised that none of our builders here have piped up with an A<-->B comparison, 6114's against 6375's (BTW, I can't believe how much the cost of those has gone up. We are getting hosed here big time).

If you are looking to lower ET, See if you can put that puppy on a chassis dyno, because that's a better tell than an engine dyno.

sixty9cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2018, 09:09:27 PM »

Sometimes

Well, I was going to say if so, then your traction is leaving power on the table, and the small amount you would pick up with bigger headers would only add to the problem. However, at 11.87, I don't think you are making anywhere near 625 horsepower. Was this number off a dyno with no front dress? What kind of headers on the dyno?

Engine Masters had an episode where they bashed the primary tubes on a dyno motor, and the decrease in diameter had little effect on power. I'm a little surprised that none of our builders here have piped up with an A<-->B comparison, 6114's against 6375's (BTW, I can't believe how much the cost of those has gone up. We are getting hosed here big time).

If you are looking to lower ET, See if you can put that puppy on a chassis dyno, because that's a better tell than an engine dyno.

That was the previous engine with 450 rwhp. This one has 625 FLYWHEEL hp. The idea for SS headers was not more power but less rust. Even though they are coated I think they are ugly.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 09:11:32 PM by sixty9cobra »