Author Topic: roll bar  (Read 3615 times)

Stangman

• View Profile
roll bar
« on: August 20, 2018, 04:06:40 PM »
Just a question at what time do you have to run that it becomes mandatory to run
a rollbar. I had thought that it was 11.35 but one of my buddies thought it was 11.49

thatdarncat

• View Profile
Re: roll bar
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 04:32:48 PM »
NHRA rule is 11.49, 13.49 in convertibles. At 11.49 you also need SFI seat belts and a SFI 3.2A-1 jacket.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

FElony

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 06:38:05 PM »
If I may interject the related question... where oh where does a guy buy a Snell helmet and SFI jacket where he can try it on?

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 06:53:27 PM »
If I may interject the related question... where oh where does a guy buy a Snell helmet and SFI jacket where he can try it on?

I agree that it can be a challenge. There are still a few "Speed Shops" located around the country, we have a couple here in Minnesota, the one my buddy used when he had to upgrade to a full SFI 3.2A/5 suit, Pro Speed Parts, ordered it for him and allowed him to return & exchange part of it when it didn't fit. A person can try and see if they have anything near. Summit, Jegs & some of the other mail order companies have pretty liberal return policies, it should be possible to return anything to them that doesn't fit, and of course anyone that lives close can visit their stores. The PRI show is a good place to check out the stuff, I know the helmet manufacturer booths will measure your head and help you get a proper helmet fit, and have samples of all their products.
Kevin Rolph

1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

FElony

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 07:25:19 PM »

I agree that it can be a challenge. There are still a few "Speed Shops" located around the country, we have a couple here in Minnesota, the one my buddy used when he had to upgrade to a full SFI 3.2A/5 suit, Pro Speed Parts, ordered it for him and allowed him to return & exchange part of it when it didn't fit. A person can try and see if they have anything near. Summit, Jegs & some of the other mail order companies have pretty liberal return policies, it should be possible to return anything to them that doesn't fit, and of course anyone that lives close can visit their stores. The PRI show is a good place to check out the stuff, I know the helmet manufacturer booths will measure your head and help you get a proper helmet fit, and have samples of all their products.

Thanks for the tips; I'm sure others were wondering the same thing. As for myself, the only thing that presently warrants safety equipment is my vocal interpretation of a Super Stock 428 CJ while I'm in the shower. Butt, soon enough.  ;)

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 07:57:03 PM »
Do they have SFI seat belts that bolt in original locations. Or should I say can it be a lap belt

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 08:47:22 PM »
Do they have SFI seat belts that bolt in original locations. Or should I say can it be a lap belt

The NHRA rules state the belts must be mounted to the frame, crossmember, or reinforced mounting. The factory lap seat belt mounting holes in our mid '60's & newer Fords with bucket seats will usually work for "reinforced mounting" since the factory generally has an extra plate or material there, but since it's your life on the line it's always best to analyze if what's there looks strong enough not to rip out in a crash and beef it up if needed. Diagrams for the proper mounting show they want the lap belts mounted apart " the width of the driver" & " at a 45 degree angle to the floor", so cars with a bench seat or similar might have to make some custom mounting tabs. That will only take care of the lap belt portion though - the SFI belts also require the shoulder harness to mount to the roll bar in the proper location and a crotch strap that runs to the front of, or underneath, the front seat, also with a properly reinforced mounting tab. So you need more than just the lap belt for 11.49 & quicker.  As always, individual track tech people can sometimes be easier or pickier on enforcing this stuff, it's a good idea to look at similar cars at your local track if you have one.   
Kevin Rolph

1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 09:24:07 PM »
tHANK YOU GUYS

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 10:16:36 PM »
In reply to the Felonious One's question, the better suits, and helmets, are custom tailored. They have a fairly extensive program to get your measurements. My own stuff all came from Simpson. They're very easy to work with and the stuff only takes a few days to arrive after you order. Measure for your helmet while wearing your head sock---it DOES make for a better fit.

I got my Carbon-X long johns and sox and gloves and head sock and boots from Summit. Most of your belt actually attaches to the roll cage. I did have pads welded to the floor below the front edge of the seat cushion to take the pair of submarine belts that keep you from sliding out-from-under.

In Land Speed racing, you may well sit in staging for an hour to two hours. Since LS Racing venues tend to be in hot areas and you are right out in the sun, After my first weekend I got a 'Cool-Shirt' that circulates iced water through tubes attached to a T-shirt. It makes a SIGNIFICANT difference.

KS

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 10:18:08 PM »

I ordered my helmet from Summit. It didn't fit to my liking so I sent it back and got a different one. Same went for my racing shoes. They had no problem with me returning either item. Summit is really good about returns, especially on stuff that is size related. These days, most all the big companies have pretty liberal return policies, as long as the product isn't damaged or well used. It'll cost you shipping, but when there's no "stores" within a reasonable distance to check the item out, it's about your only option.

Usually, there are some very helpful videos on YouTube to help you determine exactly what size and shape to order, whether it's helmets, jackets, pants etc. Motorcycle parts companies usually include videos on pretty much every page. It also works to their advantage to help limit returns.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

FElony

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2018, 11:05:06 PM »
After Kevin's reply, I remembered that Loper's Performance still has their main store open in PHX. So I called asking about a Snell helmet. The employee had absolutely no idea how one could go about purchasing one. I was flibbergoosted. How can this place sell race parts but no helmets?

A quick search reminded me that SoCal Speed has a branch in PHX also. I called at 5:30 even though they close at 5:00, confident that they would KNOW that the omnipotent FElony was on the line. 22 rings later, I had to admit defeat. Drat!

The biggest Harley dealer in AZ is close by, somewhat. I'm sure they don't stock Snell-spec. But maybe they can, as suggested, size me and order something from Bell or whoever.

I suppose I can finish up the odds and ends on the car first. I hid an Easter egg about it, but nobody found it.

Thank you to all repliers.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 11:20:50 PM »
It ain’t an Easter egg hunt if no one is looking.

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2018, 12:04:54 AM »
After Kevin's reply, I remembered that Loper's Performance still has their main store open in PHX. So I called asking about a Snell helmet. The employee had absolutely no idea how one could go about purchasing one. I was flibbergoosted. How can this place sell race parts but no helmets?

A quick search reminded me that SoCal Speed has a branch in PHX also. I called at 5:30 even though they close at 5:00, confident that they would KNOW that the omnipotent FElony was on the line. 22 rings later, I had to admit defeat. Drat!

The biggest Harley dealer in AZ is close by, somewhat. I'm sure they don't stock Snell-spec. But maybe they can, as suggested, size me and order something from Bell or whoever.

I suppose I can finish up the odds and ends on the car first. I hid an Easter egg about it, but nobody found it.

Thank you to all repliers.

I was going to mention Lopers, thinking you were in Arizona, I was just there a couple weeks ago, but I knew the part I needed, sad it sounds like the counter person wasn't much help. Likely they have one or two people with a clue, and the rest less so. Arizona has quite a bit of circle track racing - maybe there's a shop that specializes in circle track racing?

Motorcycle shops might have some Snell helmets, maybe just not a wide selection, but one thing to be aware of is there are differences between a "M" ( Motorcycle ) Snell rated helmet and a "SA" rated helmet. My understanding is one thing for example "SA" rated helmets are tested for specific fire resistance, "M" are not, since you would be more likely to be trapped in a fire in a car than on a motorcycle. Motorcycle helmets are tested for different impact resistance than "SA" helmets, etc. ( I'm not a helmet expert, so someone can weigh in if they want ) For drivers in most of the ET classes it's not a problem to use either a "M" or "SA" rated helmet, but the faster you go, or chassis type, or fuel type, or Supercharged for example, there start to be very specific helmet requirements, so a person would want to consult the rules, and "M" rated helmets won't pass tech. 9.99 and faster you need a full face helmet, open face are not accepted faster than 9.99. Also, by NHRA rules, helmets "expire" based on the Snell rating year, so don't buy one too soon before you need it. Also know that many retailers reduce the price on helmets with older Snell ratings not long before they are going to "expire", so beware that a really good deal might be because the helmet will only be NHRA legal for a few more years.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 12:13:53 AM by thatdarncat »
Kevin Rolph

1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

FElony

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2018, 12:22:56 AM »
I was going to mention Lopers, thinking you were in Arizona, I was just there a couple weeks ago, but I knew the part I needed, sad it sounds like the counter person wasn't much help. Likely they have one or two people with a clue, and the rest less so. Arizona has quite a bit of circle track racing - maybe there's a shop that specializes in circle track racing?

The problem with me buying a brain bucket is that I ain't got no brain. Guess what is down the street from me?  https://www.arizonaspeedway.net/  I will have to infiltrate if other avenues don't pan out.

You don't live in this state, do you?

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2018, 12:56:25 AM »

You don't live in this state, do you?

No, I was down helping a friend with a project. I get down there about every 2-3 years.
Kevin Rolph

1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V