FE Power Forums > The Road to Drag Week 2012

September 3, 2012 - The Road to Drag Week 2012

<< < (2/5) > >>

machoneman:
Btw, on the Pro gears they will not wear away fast enough with the limited street miles you appear to run each year (testing, Drag Week, cruising, etc.) I'll venture neither car gets much over 1,500 miles per year and many locals here do run them on the street for quite a few miles, albeit w/o big block FE power!

If you were doing say 5K+ each year then yes, street driven Pro gears would not be a good choice......JMO.

On the apparent ring gear carnage, that is damn unusual as I've had and seen plenty of shelled rear-ends but...are the pinion's teeth pretty much intact? I ask since the hand-held shot looks to be only ring gear teeth. A somewhat intact pinion would seem to indicate faulty heat-treat on the ring gear, given the bearing retainers, bolt/studs and the 9" case itself are a-o.k.   

Hemi Joel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMY5cMAdfcE&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sY3u1FQpKI&sns=em

WConley:
Keep up the good fight.

Wish I was closer.  Then you'd really have somebody around to screw all of your stuff up!

jayb:

--- Quote from: sixty9cobra on September 04, 2012, 08:17:52 AM ---Just a thought arnt pro gears 35 spline on the pinion? You might need to order a new pinion yoke also.

--- End quote ---

You are correct, and I didn't realize that; thanks for pointing it out.  I ended up buying new gears, pinion bearings, a pinion seal, and a yoke from Mark Williams.  They should be here today...

jayb:
Quick update:  Last night (Tuesday) we got some of the minor things taken care of on the Mach 1, and I ordered the new rear end parts I needed for the car yesterday, so they should be arriving today.  BradFORD will slam it back together so we can install it hopefully on Thursday night.  He was concerned about the Detroit Locker in the rear end; he thought it had taken a hit when the ring gear blew up.  Last night we chucked the locker into my lathe and measured .015" runout in one 180 degree area at the ring gear mounting flange.  I had an AHA! moment, and realized I had a spare 35 spline Detroit locker, but I couldn't find it!  Joel and I looked for what seemed like an hour, all over my shop, and could not locate the stupid thing.  Kevin was over last night also, and I was complaining to him about not being able to find it, and at the end of the night around 11:00 PM we took a last sweep through the shop to look for it.  Kevin found it in a white plastic bag, sitting on the steps going to the second floor.  I'll bet I walked by it 50 times that night and it didn't dawn on me to look in the bag.  But now we've got a known good locker to install with the gears.

Got the engine and trans in the Shelby clone bolted down last night, and also the front suspension reinstalled, which is also a big pain.  Also got the headers mostly installed; they need a little more work to be finished, but I can take care of that tonight.  After that the rest of the hookup is a lot easier, and I'm hopeful that we can get it done and get the engine fired on Thursday night.  Talk about cutting it close LOL!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version