Author Topic: Shims under Dove rocker arm stands?  (Read 1292 times)

billtroth

• View Profile
Shims under Dove rocker arm stands?
« on: August 22, 2018, 03:52:04 AM »
I replaced the stock Dove rocker arm adjusting screws with Smith Brothers screws since the Smith Brothers have a fully spherical ball and more rugged Allen head.  Now I do not have enough room to back off the screws to get enough lash adjustment.  I assume I either need to buy shorter pushrods (expensive) or put shims under the Dove rocker stands. Does anyone have experience with shimming Dove rocker stands?   
Bill Troth
Aftershock427
1964 Galaxie NNS

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
Re: Shims under Dove rocker arm stands?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 04:44:34 AM »
Are they the ones that grab the end head bolt?  That setup might be a bit tougher to shim up.  If you are just using the four factory mountings I would go ahead and stick some shims under there and see how it looks.

plovett

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 05:39:28 AM »
I shimmed my Dove stands with a oil drain back tin.  I have Harland Sharp rockers on them so not the same setup.   I have the Dove end stands that tie into the outer head bolts.  Works fine for me.

Just FYI,

paulie

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 08:21:18 AM »
My Dove's are shimmed without issue.  Only like .05 or so, but have not been an issue.
Barry, the end stands are not a problem, you run the hollow SHCS down til it hits the headbolt and then install the 1/4-20 bolt to tie it down.  Completely adjustable.
Larry