Author Topic: Prototype '68 Shelby w/ EFI  (Read 4186 times)

482supersnake

Re: Prototype '68 Shelby w/ EFI
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2018, 02:24:57 PM »
Looks like the "Little Red Shelby" has also been found.
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/08/20/first-shelby-gt500-found-little-red/

msokie

• View Profile
Re: Prototype '68 Shelby w/ EFI
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2018, 03:46:07 PM »
Thanks for the welcome Jay.

My wife and I are fortunate to own one of the ’69 EFI cars, it’s the Grabber Yellow GT500 sitting beside the gold car in the video.  We are in contact with Pete who I absolutely agree is the expert on these cars and has put forth a ton of effort to recreate the Conelec system and support the EFI cars.  He has been generous in sharing information with us so that we can understand some of the history of our car.  I think he has found a few of the other ‘69s as well.

The information we have indicates that our car was converted back to stock (i.e. carb) after the EFI project and sold as a company car.  I don’t recall seeing evidence that any of the cars “escaped” to the public with the EFI system still in place so I suspect they were converted back to stock configuration like ours was.  I don’t think there had been a complete Conelec EFI system on a car for decades before Pete’s efforts.  A few of the EFI cars do still show evidence of the of the EFI installation – in our case there are holes in the driver side fender apron from mounting the pumpulator and bringing the fuel lines in (the pumpulator was mounted outside in the fenderwell), a plug in the gas tank filler neck from the return line, a plug in each runner of the intake manifold from the transducer (injector) installation, etc.