Author Topic: trick flow heads  (Read 2516 times)

427Fastback

• View Profile
trick flow heads
« on: July 22, 2018, 11:39:11 PM »
Does any one have any feedback/stories or experience with the new TFS heads...I see they are available now.My Edelbrocks have been in engine shop prison for too long now and I am thing of just buying some complete head assemblys.The 70cc chamber will work well for me....
I was told they are cast in the USA....
1968 Mustang Fastback...427 MR 5spd (owned since 1977)
1967 Mustang coupe...Trans Am replica
1936 Diamond T 212BD
1990 Grizzly pick-up

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: trick flow heads
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 04:12:57 AM »
I’ve got two pair here, getting ready to go on engines.  One engine is a 465 inch bracket engine and one is a 390 “street” build.

At first glance, they look well, flow well (up to a certain point)  and have smallish intake port volumes.  As we have discussed here a few times in the past, the rocker stand pads are raised, so it tends to skew the rocker geometry right off the bat, but it’s nothing that cant be fixed.  Combustion chamber volumes have came in at a little under 70cc for me.  They are cast by Edelbrock.

I’m picking up the crankshaft for the 390 either today or tomorrow and should have it on the dyno in a few weeks.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 07:46:27 AM »
My local shop has a few pairs.   One is on a friends 462ci 428,  Made 600 hp on pump gas.  Shop hasn't told me of any major issues.  They were waving them under my nose for a while, but they aren't a big step away from my hand ported Eboks from 1996.
Larry

Jim Comet

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 09:33:37 AM »
Any chance the smaller ports on the Trick Flows flowing the same as your ported Edelbrocks would help your ET by making more mid range torque?

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 09:46:09 AM »
We talked about what kind of increase it might have.   Wasn't worth the money in my opinion.  I've never worried about how fast the car was.  It runs what it runs.  Another 10 hp or 20 ft/lb of torque?  Doesn't pay any more at the window at the end of the day of racing.

After I put the crank in the motor, the shop wanted me to have the heads CNC'd, big roller cam, etc to make big power.  Ya, that didn't happen.  I'm not rich enough to play that game.
Larry

andyf

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 10:05:46 AM »
Does any one have any feedback/stories or experience with the new TFS heads...I see they are available now.My Edelbrocks have been in engine shop prison for too long now and I am thing of just buying some complete head assemblys.The 70cc chamber will work well for me....
I was told they are cast in the USA....

There is a thread on here from last year on the Trick Flow heads. I used one of the first sets out the door on a 482 inch engine project for Car Craft. It made excellent power. We did not have any issues with the heads, everything looked very nice right out of the box. Engine had the usual assembly issues that you would expect with a pallet load of aftermarket parts but nothing that a good engine shop couldn't sort out. There are two articles on the Hot Rod website, this is the second one:  https://www.hotrod.com/articles/dyno-tested-make-700-hp-trick-flows-new-fe-heads/

427Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 11:47:29 PM »
Thanks for the info...I have a mild mannered 427 In my 68 Mustang..Its a corner carver not a 1/4 miler.My reason for looking at the TFS heads was the chamber volume and price..I am in BC Canada and the dollar exchange is brutal right now.Summit is selling the TFS for about $1400 Canadian each and assembled...
The engine shop that does my machine work is top notch but I am a long time family friend and good friend of the owner (2nd generation)..My heads are collecting dust and I am getting tired of waiting......
1968 Mustang Fastback...427 MR 5spd (owned since 1977)
1967 Mustang coupe...Trans Am replica
1936 Diamond T 212BD
1990 Grizzly pick-up