Author Topic: Just store it or......?  (Read 8638 times)

afret

Just store it or......?
« on: July 17, 2018, 10:48:37 AM »
My '69 Mach 1 pretty much just sits in the garage mainly due to a 2-3 mile drive on rough dusty dirt roads out to the highway.  And I don't have as much interest in cars anymore.  Probably only have 20-30 miles on the car (mostly in California) since I put the 482/C-4 combo in it and never had a chance to take it to the track.  I find it a lot more  relaxing and a lot cheaper to just go fishing or shooting.  LOL Maybe I'm just getting too damn old.

So should I just let it sit in the garage for the foreseeable future, try and get rid of it, or just say the hell with it and trash it driving it around and at least get some use out of it?  Which makes more sense?  I hate to see it just rot in the garage but the problem is that I absolutely dislike selling stuff and probably won't get much for it anyway. 

hvywrench

• View Profile
Re: Just store it or......?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 11:08:59 AM »
I can relate.
My stuff isn't nearly as nice as your's, but I hate the thought of getting rid of it.
Since I got the carbs back from Drew my car runs so well that I enjoy driving it....the thing is that I don't like the idea of being on the road with all the wackos around here. I'll take it a couple miles Sat and Sun to breakfast and drive it to work sometimes and for now that is plenty to keep me happy. I  try to make most of my trips early in the morning when there are less cars on the road.
I also really like driving my truck around and I don't worry so much about other drivers while I'm driving it, but it loves it's gas and gets pretty poor mileage.
I get just as much satisfaction just sitting outside with a beverage, looking at those two monsters in the garage.
I like the idea that I own them and have the option of driving them anytime I want.
Any thoughts of selling them pass pretty guickly (at least for now), I guess I'm a 'collector' of sorts.
I don't have the dirt road problem you mention, but can understand how that would put a damper on things.
I guess my advice (such as it is) is that unless you want to sell it to support another habit, hang onto it for a while.
Bill

Tommy-T

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 11:14:36 AM »
Earl, I am hearing this one loud-and-clear.

I may as well come out and say it. I sold my blown Mustang and FE powered '56 T-Bird. I hated to...but not really. I paid off the house and am getting ready to retire in October. The days of working all day and coming home and working all night on hot rods WAS fun, just not now. Besides, getting into slammed-to-the-ground Pro Streeters with door bars was getting to be a drag.

I do have a '65 Comet that I'm going to keep for my hot rod that I am working on. Mild FE with FI that'll start and drive with minimal "fussiness". You can follow my build on the other FE Forum.

What's going on with the tubbed Torino?

I think if you can get the Mach back down to the LA area, you can get some good coin for it.

I've got to get back up there to God's country for a visit.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 12:56:58 PM »
Damn...this is hitting home.  Since turning 52(um, well, today), I think more and more about not having hot rods.  I don't really drive them much anymore.  I'd hate to get rid of them(including the wagon).    They have been a big part of my life for a long time.  Yes, like Tommy, I could sell them and pay off the farm and be miserable because I don't have anything to play with in the garage.  I suppose I could come up with another hobby to burn money up at a fast rate??  I have a growing list in the back of my mind.

Unless someone stops and offers me good money for one of them, they will likely stay in the garage.  Nothing I have is primo, but they are nice for what they are.
Larry

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 01:18:54 PM »
Nothing I have is primo, but they are nice for what they are.
That's my stance, won't consider selling until I stop driving them either.  The Galaxie gets out at least once a week, though somehow last Sunday I lost 2nd gear  >:(  and the F100 gets out 4x a week minimum.  I vowed I would not have vehicles of this type unless I actually drive and enjoy them and I am and I do.  Mine are of the type that I keep them looking presentable but I don't fear paint chips or dirt, bug guts on the hood are fine too 8)
Len Zielinski
'64 Galaxie 500 445 Toploader
'69 F100 300 stick

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 01:39:56 PM »
Hitting very close to home for me as well. I have 4 cars that sit idle in the shop, the 5th car [66 Fairlane GTA] is sort of a daily[?] driver, IF I go anywhere. But since I retired almost 3 years ago and the car club I used to belonged to there is no good reason to drive any of my cars, no place to go, no car club activities to use as an excuse to drive any one of them. No weekend 'road trips' with the wife anymore as traffic around here [S.F Bay Area] really sucks. It's not so bad leaving on a road trip, its the trip home that I hate. [Traffic backed up for miles on a Sunday afternoon/evening] I'm now dealing with stale gas, questionable brakes, flatspotting the tires and leaky seals from sitting. I also hate to sell anything having to deal with tire kickers, wheeler-dealers, wanna-be car flippers and the usual assortment of clowns looking to buy for .05 cents on the dollar as my cars are not show quality perfect but are decent driver quality. Some would say "A 20 footer" I never fill the tank on any of my cars anymore as the gas will just go stale long before it gets used up. If I use a car to go to a local car show I put only 3-5 gallons of gas in the tank or just enough to make the round trip. I keep a 5 gal fuel jug full, with "Stabil" and a shot of Marvel Mystery oil added for such events.     

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 03:07:56 PM »
Funny that this tread showed up now. My dad have been in to
first Motorcycles from early 50s then cars from 58 when he bought
his first car a -37 V8 Ford.That i own now, He decided its time to sell out now , at 78
So i have helped him to carry out stuff from the barns, kind of sad
but that's life....My mother asked when in the....did you two think you
could restore all this stuff. I thought about it and realiced it was the hunt
that was the most fun. All the places we traveled to, all the odd people we met.
The hunt for that Packard or Willys or Indian or whatever from one village to another
in the wilderness. The body and rear of the frame in one village where they made
a tractor out of it, or a haywagon out of the axles,  the engine in the next village where they
made a milking machine out of it :o
That was the real fun tracking down the stuff
I have been in to this as long as i can remember and frankly some mornings when i wake up
i just want to get out in the garden and smell the roses or take the rowing boat out in the river
and just enjoy life and forget the old cars

My brother i laws 38 English ford

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 05:02:03 PM »
I'd really have a hard time parting with any of my cars.  I already regret selling some of the ones I've had over the years ('67 Mustang fastback, '71 429 SCJ Ranchero, '66 F100 pickup, '66 Mercury Cyclone).  If I sold any of the ones I have now I'd immediately have sellers remorse.  If I were you, Earl, I'd hang onto it; you might decide you want to enjoy it some more later.  I'd also think about getting that dirt road paved  ;D
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 09:16:44 PM »
I have those same reflections here.  I recently gave my 89 GT with 24,000 miles to my youngest son, my '86 GT that I bought new with 383W stroker, also.  Gave my 91 LX coupe 5.0 to my second Grand-daughter, and seriously am considering giving away a couple of engines.  I really do enjoy building engines, but now I have three or four of just about every FE,  292/312, 289, 302, Boss 302, 351W, 460 engine parts ever made, and nothing to install them in.  Just celebrated our 52 Anniversary with a cruise to Alaska, and my wife is already looking for some place to cruise to before Fall.  Love retirement!   Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 09:19:06 PM »
I'd also think about getting that dirt road paved  ;D
Way cheaper than the remorse one feels after the loss of a unique ride, I couldn't agree more ;D ;D ;D  I have also let some go, that's why I'm now committed to driving my "junk".  Giving it to the state of Pennsylvania upon my death would be a crime.  I intend to use it up first so there's nothing left to argue about.
Len Zielinski
'69 F100 300 stick

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 09:21:07 PM »
I have those same reflections here.  I recently gave my 89 GT with 24,000 miles to my youngest son, my '86 GT that I bought new with 383W stroker, also.  Gave my 91 LX coupe 5.0 to my second Grand-daughter, and seriously am considering giving away a couple of engines.  I really do enjoy building engines, but now I have three or four of just about every FE,  292/312, 289, 302, Boss 302, 351W, 460 engine parts ever made, and nothing to install them in.  Just celebrated our 52 Anniversary with a cruise to Alaska, and my wife is already looking for some place to cruise to before Fall.  Love retirement!   Joe-JDC
Joe, I get that.  Pulling the trigger (and have), will be retired by the end of September.
Len Zielinski
'69 F100 300 stick

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2018, 10:16:44 PM »
Made up my mind twenty years ago that I'd likely never retire. Some of the things I do that make money have little to do with anything but think, listen and talk. No reason to quit---unless my mind goes. (My Dad died within a few weeks of 92, and I'm only 77, so I suppose I have a ways to go. He did just fine until the last several months, mind-wise.)

I set, and still hold a one-mile land-speed record from eleven years ago. I'm putting a project together to go after a record in another class. It'll take a year, or thereabouts, to have the car together, but it's definitely something to look forward to!

Wish me luck!

KS
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 10:54:57 PM by cammerfe »

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2018, 10:32:23 PM »
Just one word Drag Week...wait, that's two words. Anyway drag week.  ;D

afret

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2018, 10:51:08 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.  Seems like the reasonable choices are to either just store it or get rid of it.  I'm leaning toward the second choice.  Got to do some thinking.............

ntheogen

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2018, 11:56:50 PM »
Hitting very close to home for me as well. I have 4 cars that sit idle in the shop, the 5th car [66 Fairlane GTA] is sort of a daily[?] driver, IF I go anywhere. But since I retired almost 3 years ago and the car club I used to belonged to there is no good reason to drive any of my cars, no place to go, no car club activities to use as an excuse to drive any one of them. No weekend 'road trips' with the wife anymore as traffic around here [S.F Bay Area] really sucks. It's not so bad leaving on a road trip, its the trip home that I hate. [Traffic backed up for miles on a Sunday afternoon/evening] I'm now dealing with stale gas, questionable brakes, flatspotting the tires and leaky seals from sitting. I also hate to sell anything having to deal with tire kickers, wheeler-dealers, wanna-be car flippers and the usual assortment of clowns looking to buy for .05 cents on the dollar as my cars are not show quality perfect but are decent driver quality. Some would say "A 20 footer" I never fill the tank on any of my cars anymore as the gas will just go stale long before it gets used up. If I use a car to go to a local car show I put only 3-5 gallons of gas in the tank or just enough to make the round trip. I keep a 5 gal fuel jug full, with "Stabil" and a shot of Marvel Mystery oil added for such events.   

I'm just outside of SF, I'll come maintain and drive your fleet for you anytime. Lol

Jack

57 lima bean

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2018, 12:06:13 AM »
Just one word Drag Week...wait, that's two words. Anyway drag week.  ;D

Thats for young folks......like 60.While prepping the car for this weekends racing in 85 degree temps and approaching 63 soon,I had these same thoughts Monday.Thing is when ya get to the track,you're 45 once again.If you don't need the money,keep the car Afret.It will make for a great episode for "Barn Find" in years to come. 

FirstEliminator

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2018, 01:13:20 AM »
With my signature, you can see I have a bunch of cars. Part of the reason for that is I've heard so many people regret selling such and such car back in the day. I have no plans to sell anything at this point in time....there is still a lot of hope left.  One thing I can say is the "accumulation phase" is over. Feeling like I am on the plateau of life, words like "realistic" and "practical" are becoming popular in my vocabulary. I'm not ready to give in and be "normal". They say peoples interests change and maybe one day mine will too.  While the intricate design printed on money is cool to look at, I much prefer the looks, sounds and smells (some smells) of my cars. Plus, as a "car person", who's friends are mostly car people, I don't want to lose my element of access to the car group.

Sounds like you can take your time to decide.  Just be certain when you do decide. All of these cars are special and certain cars with rare options are very difficult to replace. Heck, with the market now, it's nearly cost prohibitive to replace a car with no options! It is impossible to replace a car that has been an extension of one's self. If you have a lot of memories with the car, I'd say hang on.
Mark
Berkshire Transmissions
North Adams, Massachusetts

70 Cougar XR-7 460 C-6
70 Cougar XR-7 conv 351c 4v FMX
69 Cougar SS 351w AOD
69 Cougar Sunroof Eliminator 351w FMX
69 Cougar XR-7 390 C-6
68 Monterey 390 C-6
68 Monterey conv 390 C-6
64 Montclair Marauder 390 Merc-O
58 Monterey 383 Merc-O
58 Parklane 430 MultiDrive
68 Colony Park 428 C-6
68 Colony Park 390 C-6
70 Cougar Eliminator 351c 4 speed
I don't feel like a hoarder.

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2018, 04:54:07 AM »
The last few years Age has been creeping in. What I did at 20 I seem to pass of to others at 65. I don't drive the cars like I used to but do run the hell out of them when I do. I seem to run the Harleys much more than the cars, I like to take off early on Sundays and cruse the backroads to relax on the bike. Sellers remorse would be severe in my case, but I do have 2 sons who will benefit from my stuff some day. Hey Lenz what happened to the tranny?

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2018, 06:28:14 AM »
1 - 2 synchronizer problem seems likely, won't know the extent until it's pulled.  If rolling slow it will drop into first with slight clash.  If sitting still need to shift it between 3rd and 4th and then over to 1st.  Won't go into 2nd sitting or rolling.  Guess I won't be bored this winter :(
Len Zielinski
'69 F100 300 stick

garyv

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2018, 08:26:58 AM »
It's kind of ironic that this topic came up at this time.  I have been pondering a lot of this stuff for quite a while.  Retired/disabled 2
years ago due to some really bad inoperable back issues.  Have my 66 Fairlane sitting in the garage on the lift and that new TP engine Brent built
for me beside it along with the TKO,REF headers etc.  Can't get it installed because of lack of time and help and this jacked up back. 
Taking care of my 87 father whom is terminally ill and I have a precious new granddaughter that is less than 3 days old.  Couple of times I've
gotten very discouraged and threatened to just sell out and be done with it but my wife tells me to just wait and see how things go once I have more time. 
It's discouraging to walk into my garage and see all this and know I can't do what I used to do. I'm 65 and I realize how time takes it's toll.  So now I have an old 1950 226H flathead 6 on a run stand that I tinker with when I have a little spare time.  Had it stored for 25 years and after some Marvel Mystery Oil and some patience I have her humming along. Still few issues to sort out but it keeps up my interest.  Wife asks what I'm going to do with it and I told her I might built a rat rod some day.
I really hate to get rid of stuff so I've hoarded up a bunch of Ford stuff over the years. My son doesn't have the interest in this stuff that
I have and I doubt he would ever put it to use..  He's a new dad and has other priorities right now.
Right now I'm in the same boat as everyone else but I think I'm going to just stay in a holding pattern for now and see how things go
and make a decision on this later.
Some days I just wish I could go fishing and forget all this junk.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 08:29:49 AM by garyv »

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2018, 11:06:32 AM »
I been thinking the same thing , working on cars Monday through Friday don't help either , kids are not interested enough to want to take over , my legs go  num/asleep if I stand very long or walk to far (less than a 1/4 mile) , getting old sucks is my conclusion

afret

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2018, 11:50:03 AM »
If I decide to sell the car what is a reasonable selling price for a '69 Mach 1?  My nephew is going back to school to get into the health care field and I told him I would cover his out of state tuition so selling the car would help with this.  I guess another option is to donate the car to the hospice that took good care of my mom and brother so I could take a tax write off  and not have to mess with selling the car but I need to figure out how to do this.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 01:44:08 AM by afret »

Mistral_427TP

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2018, 12:31:02 PM »
I can relate to the OP sentiments and others;  I'm octogenarian.  So I'm starting to selling off some 'unobtainium' like Fairlane 427 exhaust manifolds and other rare FE parts.

My wife is not well health wise so I'm 24/7 giver thus my Replicar Cobra with 427 TP TT Hilborn SEFI sits in my garage.  I start it up frequently and drive back and forth on the driveway.  Both my sons who are near fifty have no interest with the old FE and other muscle cars from the 60's and 70's.  Both are interested in newer preformance cars; one has a Mini Cooper S, John Cooper Works, which is now his toy and track car.  Other son is CASC timer at Mosport and Toronto Indy  support races.
-Johnex Cobra Replicar

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2018, 01:30:33 PM »
Maybe we should organize a support group... We can sit around lamenting how things "used to be" while sipping our Medimusal over the rocks. Every time I think of selling a car [or boat] I ask the same old question "Would the money from this sale make any difference in my life?" So far it wouldn't but as time goes on that may change...Who knows? But for now I'll hang on to my fleet as they are stored inside a large building, protected from the elements, vandals and thieves. I still go into my shop and tinker with whatever and whenever the mood strikes. I still make small purchases from Summit, Rock Auto and the like for the little changes just to keep me busy. I still like to tinker in my home machine shop where I make small trinkets for myself and friends. Things like billet aluminum gauge panels, misc. brackets and whatever I can whittle out on a Bridgeport or lathe. I've stayed busy in my retirement, but it is usually doing things I didn't think too much of before I retired...And to Ntheogen/Jack...Thanks for the offer, take a number ;), but you are always welcome to drop by and have a barley pop....or 2 and we can talk Fords and FEs

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2018, 02:14:21 PM »
Maybe we should organize a support group... We can sit around lamenting how things "used to be" while sipping our Medimusal over the rocks.
That's better, this was beginning to take a decidedly somber turn.  The way things used to be isn't always necessarily a good thing either.  I find at 62 that I just reorganize my priorities, like before I crawl under I try to make sure I have everything I need because getting back up isn't quite as much fun as it used to be (never works tho ???.  But, as long as I can get back up it's all good.
Len Zielinski
'69 F100 300 stick

Posi67

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2018, 02:29:15 PM »
My suggestion would be keep it for awhile Earl. A few years down the road you'll have a better idea how the rest of your life is going to go. Right now, the car runs and drives so it's not like you need to spend time and money working on the thing. As for value.. you'd be surprised at how much those cars sell for. Just do some online searching.

I'm with all the rest of the geriatrics here in that it's harder and not as much fun as it was years ago. All I wanted to do was race and now after a dozen years, the novelty has worn off. I find all kinds of excuses not to work on my car but once I get started it is enjoyable. The upside is... I can go race anytime I feel like it.  Selling everything won't change my life at this point so it can sit if need be. That's happened a lot in the 46 years I've owned my car.

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2018, 03:20:46 PM »
I receive the Hagerty monthly magazine (because I pay too much for collector car insurance). Jay Leno wrote an article about this same general topic in this months issue. He told a story about a house that he sold to a single lady with a kid that he felt bad for and sold her the house for less than it was really worth. Ended up that the lady made a pretty penny off of him and the house was leveled.

Basically, what I took from the article, was that you have to enjoy your car while you're enjoying it and after it's no longer enjoyable make the decision and don't look back.

I'm done flipping through the pages now. If you want to take a gander I'd be happy to send it your way.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

XR7

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2018, 07:58:05 PM »
Wow Earl! I had no idea you were thinking of selling your car. I would never do it but that is just me. I think you should at least enjoy it for a while first and then see how you feel later. Like Dale said, it is all together and fresh, you really don't need to crawl around under it at the moment. I would be happy to take you and the Mach1 to the track with my trailer for a Friday night deal, you need to run it a few times for sure. You have built a really nice car with top shelf stuff and it should really run hard. It would be fun to see what it will do, I am sure you want to go through the gears and feel the top end pull. There are also some car shows here and there and some cruise night stuff that might be fun for you too. I could even trailer it to town and you could unload and drive it around without worrying about the 2 miles of gravel and dust. I'll give you a call tonight, I was going to anyway to talk about a couple other things.
68 Cougar XR7 GT street legal, 9.47@144.53, 3603# at the line, 487 HR center oiler, single carb, Jerico 4 speed, 10.5 tires, stock(er) suspension, all steel full interior

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2018, 09:04:26 PM »
Go getum XR7 after all that he will get the bug again. Sounds to me like your just alittle bumbed out
by deaths in the family which are always unfortunate. But remember your still here. I just turned 52 2 weeks
ago and from being a mechanic for 30 years everything hurts. But when I get in my car Im 18 again. Give it a shot.

FirstEliminator

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2018, 10:44:25 PM »
My cars sit because there is a never ending list of things to do at work, around the house and with the kids and wife. When I get in one of my Cougars and go for a leisurely drive I feel like either it's 20+ years ago, or feel like I am on vacation. The old cars take me away and they bring me back----yes, sounds like transportation, but it's more than that. They take me away from the every day normal routine. They bring me back to when I was in my early 20's with the music playing, windows down, hearing the engine and the enjoying freedom to go where ever there are gas stations. All the thumbs up is kinda cool too....at least better than the middle fingers from back when I some punk kid.  Someday, I'll let my wife and daughters worry about getting rid of my cars, 'cause I ain't gonna do it.
Mark
Berkshire Transmissions
North Adams, Massachusetts

70 Cougar XR-7 460 C-6
70 Cougar XR-7 conv 351c 4v FMX
69 Cougar SS 351w AOD
69 Cougar Sunroof Eliminator 351w FMX
69 Cougar XR-7 390 C-6
68 Monterey 390 C-6
68 Monterey conv 390 C-6
64 Montclair Marauder 390 Merc-O
58 Monterey 383 Merc-O
68 Colony Park 428 C-6
68 Colony Park 390 C-6
70 Cougar Eliminator 351c 4 speed
I don't feel like a hoarder.

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2018, 06:13:58 PM »
I like seeing what the latest thing Jay is coming out with to fit the fe engines , more stuff now than I can remember . I still drive an old car a least 3 times a week . I see people in stores and they tell me that they saw me so and so , I have no ideal who a lot of them are . Don't quit until you can no longer go . Don't forget this forum and all the good people on it , it is not a guessing game anymore .   

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2018, 11:57:27 AM »
Earl.....drive it!
Enjoy the car.
Unless you need the money, forget about future value or a few stone chips.
You won't be around to worry about future value, and stone chips and pits can be fixed by the next owner.
Like others here, I'm facing the fact that some of my drive to dig deep into restorations is waning. I sold several projects to fund and finish my current favorites, and my drivers. Came to the realization that having 5 project cars sitting around was just too much.

After putting 20+ years of my life gathering NOS parts and finally restoring my R-code Mach, I always worried about stone chips, scratches, scuffs etc. What woke me up was losing several very close friends in the last 5 years. Heart attacks, leukemia, cancers, accidents...even suicide. I decided "What the hell am I waiting on?". I started driving my car every chance I get (although I do try to avoid rainy days), even to work or just running up town to the hardware store. Plus 2 Drag Week events (good call, Alan ;)). I'm enjoying my car now more than I ever have!

DRIVE IT!!
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2018, 01:51:08 PM »

After putting 20+ years of my life gathering NOS parts and finally restoring my R-code Mach, I always worried about stone chips, scratches, scuffs etc. What woke me up was losing several very close friends in the last 5 years. Heart attacks, leukemia, cancers, accidents...even suicide. I decided "What the hell am I waiting on?". I started driving my car every chance I get (although I do try to avoid rainy days), even to work or just running up town to the hardware store. Plus 2 Drag Week events (good call, Alan ;)). I'm enjoying my car now more than I ever have!

DRIVE IT!!
Exactly!  Cars aren't a lot different than money in the bank (or the stock market on a bad day) and you get to play with them.  In the end, who gets the money or who gets the car?  My family gets it, you (or they) can sell them off or pass the things down.  They make a great classroom for those coming up behind as well.  They may not end up being motor heads but they could sure accidentally develop a skill or find a hidden talent that would otherwise have been missed.
Len Zielinski
'69 F100 300 stick

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2018, 10:37:36 AM »
an old man once gave me advice years ago that goes like this: If you decide to sell one of your cars & it is tearing at you, the sure way to avoid sellers remorse, is to take the money you got for the sale and buy something else you always wanted, be it another car,  a once in a lifetime vacation, RV, boat or whatever. Don't pay bills with it or use it for the household or even to pay off loans. If you do that you won't have the money or the car and forever regret it. Later in life (now) I want to buy experiences not more stuff.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

fastback 427

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2018, 11:47:58 AM »
Im not as old as some of you geezers,  :o, but i will die a poor hungry old man with a really bad ass 67 mustang! Money spends way to easy, then what? My junk gives me purpose. A story told to me was that a son was mad at his dad because he sold the farm but kept 5 acres. He gardened and drove 3 miles to lunch every day. His son said he was too old to drive and should go to a retirement home. How old was the son you asked? 82 years old....
Jaime
67 fastback 427 center oiler 428 crank Dove aluminum
top end toploader
67 fairlane gta cross bolted 12:1 390 Dove aluminum top end c6 3600 stall
65 falcon straight axle project
67 mustang coupe project
76 f350 dually 390 mirror 105 4bbl 4spd
74 f100 xlt 390 c6 factory ac

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2018, 01:58:51 PM »
The biggest problem I see about getting old is priorities change. At least they have for me. In the past I'd build an engine for one of my cars or boats just because I didn't like something about the existing engine. Now all I want is for my fleet is to run decent, not use too much oil and be dead nutts reliable.. [read: so I don't have to work on it] Since all my cars are for street and highway use only horsepower is now secondary with reliability as the number one priority. I have no one to leave my stuff to when I cash in so I suppose whatever is left of what I may sell will go to auction or the scrap yard. My daughter could not care less about old cars, fast boats, machine tools/equipment and all the other junk I've acquired over the years. My 2 nephews...much as the same as my daughter. I had hopes for one of my nephews as he had a decent small block powered 70 Challenger [sold] and a Brand X powered IH Scout he built for off roading and he is a pretty decent fabricator from the looks of the workmanship he did on the chassis and full roll cage in the Scout. But now his priorities have changed as well. He wants to buy a house [not real feasible in this area where the average 2 bedroom house sells $600K+] but he has hopes none the less. So someday in the distant [I hope] future all my stuff will, most likely be someone else's problem. Selfish? I suppose...But I'm not ready to start liquidating, just yet.   

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2018, 05:44:20 PM »
My '69 Mach 1 pretty much just sits in the garage mainly due to a 2-3 mile drive on rough dusty dirt roads out to the highway.  And I don't have as much interest in cars anymore.  Probably only have 20-30 miles on the car (mostly in California) since I put the 482/C-4 combo in it and never had a chance to take it to the track.  I find it a lot more  relaxing and a lot cheaper to just go fishing or shooting.  LOL Maybe I'm just getting too damn old.

So should I just let it sit in the garage for the foreseeable future, try and get rid of it, or just say the hell with it and trash it driving it around and at least get some use out of it?  Which makes more sense?  I hate to see it just rot in the garage but the problem is that I absolutely dislike selling stuff and probably won't get much for it anyway.

Just drop the '69 Mach 1 off at my place and go fishing . .

afret

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2018, 10:48:12 AM »
Would a $35K asking price for this car be too high (or low) with extra stuff like all the sheet metal from the stock eliminator car after the Shelby conversion, set of new race tires and wheels, new JB intake adapter and Cleveland SD intake included?  Oh, and it's a solid CA S code car.

sixty9cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2018, 12:12:22 PM »
I think its way cheap but I am biased I love your car.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2018, 12:30:07 PM »
I'd drive it but....

Contact one of the antique auto insurance companies and ask about a local appraiser. $100 tops.

My totally non-stock '70 Mach1 was appraised at $27,500 in 1994 when I first got it running. Today, it's at $45,000 per Philadelphia Insurance! 351W versus the OEM 351C, 5 speed Richmond versus the auto tranny, racing everything (seats, aluminum parts, wheels, radiator, Lakewood, etc. etc.) and it's still worth a small fortune as a straight, no rust, gennie California built and driven car.

Bob Maag

afret

« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2018, 08:53:53 AM »
Thanks!  Good idea to get an appraiser then cut a good percentage off to sell fast.

TomP

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2018, 10:03:22 PM »
I'd want it but then i'm going to have even bigger problems. I have 8 cars, all projects. Two stored in a field 50 miles away are going to have to be moved soon. Now I am scrambling to find an indoor storage to hold several cars so I can get my Fairlane back inside. People want some nutty prices nowadays. I could get a store in the mall for what some want for  garage space.

afret

« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2018, 11:23:00 AM »
I'd want it but then i'm going to have even bigger problems. I have 8 cars, all projects. Two stored in a field 50 miles away are going to have to be moved soon. Now I am scrambling to find an indoor storage to hold several cars so I can get my Fairlane back inside. People want some nutty prices nowadays. I could get a store in the mall for what some want for  garage space.

Well, you'd end up with 9 but one that's not a project but a lot more sheetmetal and stuff to store.  LOL

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2018, 12:29:18 PM »

Vacant stores in malls is a great idea and I have seen more long-closed ones now leased cheap or sold to private parties. Car storage, bus/motor home, boat storage and more. Most have a elevated truck dock, handy for sure. Can be commercially insured too. 
Bob Maag