Author Topic: Help with carb choice. Drew ?  (Read 2720 times)

FEDER

• View Profile
Help with carb choice. Drew ?
« on: August 03, 2018, 07:38:52 PM »
I am in the process of building a 427 stroked to 482. I have the trick flow heads and will use a solid flat tappet cam. Going to keep compression at 10.1 max. So no big duration or lift over 580 I’m thinking. I want a good running street motor that occasionally will see the track. I’m using an Edelbrock F66 cross ram because they just look way cool and I understand there are better choices but it’s what I want. Car is a 58 custom 300 with a BIO toploader and 411s out back. I have been looking at the quick fuel 750 slayer series. Not sure on vac secondaries or mechanical. I want a 4160 style carb in case I change My mind later and can use them on a med rise 2x4. What do You guys recommend. Drew ?

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
Re: Help with carb choice. Drew ?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 08:42:20 PM »
If you might want them later on a MR intake, 4160 600’s make sense.
The old slayers were a good carb, I don’t know much about them now that Holley
Owns the place. Might be the same, might not.

I specialize in old Holleys and restorations so my vote is dual 1850’s or 3310’s converted to side hung bowls. For the new stuff I think you’d need to talk to Brent, Barry, etc who buys that stuff in.

I never worked with that intake so I dunno what kinda tweeks need to be done for it to work well.
Good luck

Tobbemek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 05:16:43 AM »
Drew has the right recept for a 2x1850 600cfm carbs that will work on most any thing. I just finished 2 600 carbs like that last knight going on a 476" Mopar engine. I will soon find out how it will run. And if anyone is curious, i will report back even if its not a FE. 

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 06:17:03 AM »
Im interested

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 07:14:54 AM »
I ran one of those intakes on a 410 equipped with all CJ top end and headers.

We had it with dual mechanical 450s and dual 1850s.  Both ran well, the 450s felt stronger around town but the 600s did well out of the box.  With a 482, my gut tells me a pair of converted 3310s would work well, but it won't be a slouch with 600s either
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 09:41:19 AM »
If you do want a set of 3310’s. I’ve got some in process that I was doing for my usage so I can get a good baseline calibration. Might take a few months to get it all worked out, but I’d probably get it done quicker if I knew they had a home   

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 11:37:53 AM »
Just get ready for a tuning adventure. Ran one of those on dyno and its a really odd deal - more like two four cylinders with all the pulse dynamics and reversion that entails.   The carbs are only an inch off the plenum floor - spacers are a HUGE help.  Once sorted out it did OK but it gave us fits for a little while - really strong signal wanted to pull a lot of fuel & made it very rich.  Was probably reversion driven - carbs will dispense fuel even when air is traveling in the wrong direction, so it would load the air with fuel and then add more as the air stream reversed.

FElony

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2018, 01:02:53 PM »
Is it possible that an XE-style (fast ramp) of lobe profile would combat reversion better than a "typical" (say 282S-ish) grind on that manifold?

In a discussion group long ago and far away, one member with an F-66 and an old-school long-overlap solid cam took a picture of the fuel vapor cloud over his carbs at idle. Frightening. I had to go to my Safe Space. The car in question had a Teardrop, and I don't recall whether it had carb spacers for sure, but probably not at the time of the picture.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2018, 01:30:01 PM »
The correct camshaft would probably help quite a bit.  You need something that will snap the intake valve off the seat and create some "suck".  It would also be beneficial to put the cam timing pretty far ahead.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2018, 06:31:58 PM »
My opinion would be to treat the manifold like a max-5800-6000 rpm EFI build.  The long runners are likely dosing their best around 5000-5500, so like Brent said, early intake lobe timing, and keep overlap in check, much like you would an EFI build, I bet it does OK.

I'd also go conservative on the header, even with a 482, you want everything dialed in to make a mid range monster

I do really like the idea of spacers if you have room.  My hunch the bigger the better
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

FEDER

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2018, 07:22:50 AM »
Thank You all for the input. I think I will get 2 new 3310s  as they will fit the tunnel ram fine. If I do switch to the Med Rise I have some 600s I can switch out the bowls. My Sons 482 had 2 600s on a med rise 2x4. Solid lifter aroud 570 lift and 280 dur. Car ran fine. Tried a new pair of 660s. What a difference. Idle and cruising werent so good but wot was tire shredding  difference.  Brent I will call You for a cam when I order the pistons, THANKS ALL AGAIN.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2018, 09:17:15 AM »
Good plan. When you need help tuning or getting the kinks worked out, come on back. Will be fun to
Try to get them reigned in on that intake.

I really need to find a cross ram to play with

FEDER

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2018, 12:23:36 PM »
I will do that. Got a couple ideas for the intake.